Sign in to follow this  
Atreides

Question regarding RussoUK's Lightning FMK6

Now that I've FINALLY managed to get internet access once again, I gave RussoUK's Lightning FMK6 a try and I have to say the model is just awesome, I do however have one question, how accurately is it's acceleration reflected by the current version of the model ? Please do not mistake this as a jab at the guy's work, it's just that the one time I was fortunate enough to see this beast in person it took off like a freakin rocket and the acceleration was astounding. In game though, the acceleration of the beast seem's to be a bit, lethargic. Any suggestion's of what ini file's need to be edited to more accurately reflect the real acceleration and rate of climb ? :dntknw:

Edited by Atreides

Check Kreelin's website for the most current FM for the Lightning FMK6, which includes a data.ini dated July of 2006. That should be the latest and most accurate FM.

Guest Saganuay82

Kreelin's website?

1) The Lightning F.6 is by RussoUK IIRC

2) There is an updated FM by Kreelin here

3) Keep in mind that at air shows planes are clean and most of the time aren't fully loaded with fuel, also bear in mind that the impression of speed and acceleration from the ground is always rather different from up there mostly because you have different set of references.

Kreelin's website?

Yep, he's had it for a short while I believe and Streak has it linked at his website as well as now in Gunrunner's post.

1) The Lightning F.6 is by RussoUK IIRC

You recalled right. The mistake was on my part for merely looking at the poster and assuming that it was done by him :doh:

Aaahhh. She handle's much better. :ok: Once again, thanks alot to all those who replied. Cheers!

3) Keep in mind that at air shows planes are clean and most of the time aren't fully loaded with fuel, also bear in mind that the impression of speed and acceleration from the ground is always rather different from up there mostly because you have different set of references.

oh a Lightning is very, very fast - t:w of over 1:1, mach2+ & supercruise since 1959 ...

of course, it drank fuel like a fish ....

and was the loudest fighter the RAF has ever had.

Like this? Turn up the volume!

I actually timed myself in Russo's F6 with a full fuel load and two firestreaks from standing start to 40000 ft.( sad I know )..one minute and one second ! Not bad at all ! The published figures were for the real deal are 50000 ft per min max climb I believe.

Always had a soft spot for the Lightning................. and Russo's model has always been one of my SF favourites. No idea about the FM details, but she seems to 'go' alright!!.............................. not that you can spend all that much time 'going', as you pretty much have to return to base having reached service altitude!

The Thunder and Lightnings website has a nice recording of an example taking off.

I actually timed myself in Russo's F6 with a full fuel load and two firestreaks from standing start to 40000 ft.( sad I know )..one minute and one second ! Not bad at all ! The published figures were for the real deal are 50000 ft per min max climb I believe.

That figure of 50,000 feet per minute is the initial climb rate, and not to be confused with the Lightning's actual time from sea level to 50,000 feet.

Too bad nobody made a cockpit for this beauty, but I cannot blame anybody for not wanting to model this mess...

bru98518.jpgbru98521.jpg

That figure of 50,000 feet per minute is the initial climb rate, and not to be confused with the Lightning's actual time from sea level to 50,000 feet.

mmm...that makes my 40000 ft in one minute impressive then. Better repeat that experiment when I get home to check my figures. I might have had a touch of Lightningitis extremisafterburnus :biggrin:

Thanks Fubar

I might have had a touch of Lightningitis extremisafterburnus :biggrin:

I love it when that happens.

Hello all, Just a question: I had download it and enjoy to fly with it, but strangly I have never enough fuel to be back at my base, why ?

I forgot to change something somewhere in the INI files ?

Edited by Gilou67

Hello all, Just a question: I had download it and enjoy to fly with it, but strangly I have never enough fuel to be back at my base, why ?

sounds like a Lightning to me, fuel management was always top of the list ... :haha:

Been at airshows where there was no doubt what was about to appear as the Lightning lit up her over-n-under burners. She was a real beauty and is still fun to fly in our sim. However, the sound wav file that goes with the FMK6 is real dinky sounding as opposed to the deep throaty roar from the real thing. I have a good speaker system and like to roll the kids out of bed to the sound of freedom (jetnoise), but I cannot get the thunder I need from the FMK6 engine wav file that comes with the kit. (early apologies to the kit construction team)

Any suggestions?

You could increase the volume of the wav file using a sound editor (perhaps add a little noise/distortion, etc.)................... or look around the net for a sound example that fits your needs.

Flying the FMk6 inspired me to do a little research in the the basics of the data.ini. Two things stand out:

- I guess the min./max deflection of the ailerons right / left should be the same ? (+30/-30)

- the total fuel weight amounts to a VERY meagre 1.865 kgf / 4.091 lbs / 2.375 l (even a MiG 21 has

more!) while according to the books (Modern Combat Aircraft 5 "BAC Lightning") the total amount

available is 2.209 kgf in the ventral tank/fuselage and 2.579 kgf in the wing tanks making a total

of 4782 kgf / 10.542 lbs/ 6.236 l .....

At a fuel consumption rate of about 20 gallon/ minute at tactical speeds and 200 gallon/ minute at full AB

(the Lightning was considered THE gas guzzler ....)this does make quite a difference (as well in handling)

These changes are very easy to make in the data.ini and will improve your range/endurance quite a bit...

Aju,

Derk :smile:

Flying the FMk6 inspired me to do a little research in the the basics of the data.ini. Two things stand out:

- I guess the min./max deflection of the ailerons right / left should be the same ? (+30/-30)

- the total fuel weight amounts to a VERY meagre 1.865 kgf / 4.091 lbs / 2.375 l (even a MiG 21 has

more!) while according to the books (Modern Combat Aircraft 5 "BAC Lightning") the total amount

available is 2.209 kgf in the ventral tank/fuselage and 2.579 kgf in the wing tanks making a total

of 4782 kgf / 10.542 lbs/ 6.236 l .....

At a fuel consumption rate of about 20 gallon/ minute at tactical speeds and 200 gallon/ minute at full AB

(the Lightning was considered THE gas guzzler ....)this does make quite a difference (as well in handling)

Well the maps in WOE are downsized so this smaller amount modeled actually makes the in game Lightning more realistic, but then again we can't have the air refueling in the campaign so...

Well the maps in WOE are downsized so this smaller amount modeled actually makes the in game Lightning more realistic, but then again we can't have the air refueling in the campaign so...

Agreed, but the small amount of available fuel is less a matter of range (cruising out at maybe 450 kts, at low throttle settings) but very important in combat using AB , in high speed dashes, or - if you like it- in airshow routines, where your fuel is gone far too quickly....

The higher fuel amount IMHO also gives you a more realistic thrust-weight ratio.

Aju,

Derk :wink: