Sign in to follow this  
BUFF

USAF suspends some F-15 operations

That's pretty standard ops for a crash where structual failure is suspected.

C-141 ops were suspended initially after a wing spar broke on a Tenn ANG aircraft. Of course, a day later, when they found out what REALLY happened, ops went back to normal.

FastCargo

thanks for the news... hope the pilot made it out ok..

That's pretty standard ops for a crash where structual failure is suspected.

C-141 ops were suspended initially after a wing spar broke on a Tenn ANG aircraft. Of course, a day later, when they found out what REALLY happened, ops went back to normal.

FastCargo

I remember driving by the airport and seeing that plane not long after the accident occurred. :blink:

I read somewhere that the pilot made it out ok, but with injuries.

Guest Saganuay82

Yep he got out with injuries.

http://www.ky3.com/news/local/10974506.html

Video there - news report. Looks from the crash that it came in flat. Hey FC, can you use that? :)

Edited by Saganuay82

Apparently (going by the video) the difference between the F-16 and F-15 is that the F-15 has two engines (and significantly more expensive).....ugh gotta love the media.

Then again the past president of my school (and aviation school) thought a B-25 was a bi-plane because it had two engines....... :doh:

Yep he got out with injuries.

http://www.ky3.com/news/local/10974506.html

Video there - news report. Looks from the crash that it came in flat. Hey FC, can you use that? :)

Actually, that's a pretty good picture angle-wise. Straight down to get a layout...

FastCargo

Quote:

Apparently (going by the video) the difference between the F-16 and F-15 is that the F-15 has two engines (and significantly more expensive).....ugh gotta love the media.

Well, yesterday In my local newspapers they named the P-51 as "P-38 Phantom".

You can omly say; Good yob!

Edited by Mladuna

Well, yesterday In my local newspapers they named the P-51 as "P-38 Phantom".

You think thats bad? My local news station called A-10s the F-15I Thunderbolt

You think thats bad? My local news station called A-10s the F-15I Thunderbolt

Yup...the good old BBC just reported this on News 24 and showed footage of F18's taking off from a carrier. :clapping:

Yup...the good old BBC just reported this on News 24 and showed footage of F18's taking off from a carrier. :clapping:

Your Pommie carriers?? Our press knew at one point the F-111 had a designation once but now they can only remember "The Pig". We try not to give our journos too much info, lest they pull that confused face like a dog has when chewing toffee or caramel.

Yup, there was so much fodder being aired during the 1st Gulf War I just watched with the sound turned off. :wink:

According to CNN the F-15Es in Afghanistan have been excluded from this order now.

maybe its a ploy to get more F-22 added back into production

A ploy is lobbying to get more F-22s.

Aircraft crashing for midbody cracks is most definitely NOT a ploy. Now, you could use this to an advantage...

You have NO idea the mayhem this grounding is causing the pilot force. Trust me on this one, the F-15 bros/safety guys have been giving me the info about it.

It's not good.

FastCargo

maybe its a ploy to get more F-22 added back into production

no doubt accomplished by putting a bomb into the jet that crashed and hammering away with jack-hammers at the structural spars on the other jets that were found with cracks, all without anyone on the flightline maintenance or security noticing......

(rolls eyes in disgust.....)

Edited by Typhoid

FastCargo...I am at Kadena, finest F-15 Wing in the world...

meant as a pun, but there are other issues with the aging Eagles that have been coming to light the past few years, not as serious as structural failure, but driving the MICAP into C-5 territory

no doubt accomplished by putting a bomb into the jet that crashed and hammering away with jack-hammers at the structural spars on the other jets that were found with cracks, all without anyone on the flightline maintenance or security noticing......

(rolls eyes in disgust.....)

- I like the rolling your eyes in disgust part, that is cool...please see above

What we have is one group taking advantage of a totally unrelated problem. Yes, they are pushing to get more F-22s to replace more F-15s. This grounding merely gives them more fuel.

This was bound to happen at some point anyway because the Eagles are only getting older. I just was expecting it post-2010.

FastCargo...I am at Kadena, finest F-15 Wing in the world...

meant as a pun, but there are other issues with the aging Eagles that have been coming to light the past few years, not as serious as structural failure, but driving the MICAP into C-5 territory

See Sparky, this is the kind of stuff you need to tell us first so we know if you're yanking our chains or not! So we know you just ain't some yahoo spouting stuff he knows nothing about... :)

Approaching C-5 MICAP rates? Now, that ain't good either...C-5s aren't exactly known for being reliable.

What's bothering a lot of folks is that the 30 day safety report still hasn't been released yet. That's usually never a good sign.

FastCargo

- I like the rolling your eyes in disgust part, that is cool...please see above

sorry. I didn't catch the sarcasm. I see we are very much on the same frequency.

:sorry:

I've been reading the reporting on the AF daily ops report. Not good.

More F-22's may very well be part of the longer term solution.

:good:

Speaking of C-5's...keeping up with the banter that they may cancel the remaining C-5M due to cost over runs? personally I am counting down the seconds until Moseley gets the hell out of the USAF and stops ruining it...he is as bad/worse than McPeak.

All he needs to do now is change the name from "AFI" to something equally ghey and he will have done just what McPeak did (dont forget he tried to change all of the MAJCOMs as well...think his ludicrous foray into "UAVs should all be owned by the USAF" stopped that due to his political clout becoming negative).

Eagles will be fine, we just need money. Personally, I always thought an Eagle with a v3 radar was preferable to F-22, but I may be a bit biased in that regard

come on guys...you should notice that a dude that uses as his avatar the former president of the Federal Republic of Nigeria might be up to something...

Eagles will be fine, we just need money. Personally, I always thought an Eagle with a v3 radar was preferable to F-22, but I may be a bit biased in that regard

Well, it depends what you want it to do. There's no question it will have superior range/detectability thanks to the larger array/power/sensitivity, so for detecting stealthy cruise missiles and similar missions it would be better.

However, in a dogfight I'd take a 22, and I'd also prefer one if I was flying over enemy ADA. :wink: