Sign in to follow this  
sinbad

Alb DV and DVa Tachometer

In the Alb DV and DVa in the EP, on my system, both in a clean install, and one with many mods and skins, the tach sits 90 degrees to the right, as though it fell over. It runs just fine, but on its side.

Am I in the twilight zone? Do you see it as well?

AOK in Alb DIII so this is type specific, at least in this corner of the universe.

Edited by sinbad

That's nothing...mine's in GERMAN! How am I supposed to read it? Didn't TK test this thing? Gah....

extract ALB5_FACE_RPM.bmp from the ObjectData01.cat

and rotate it 90 counterclockwise in a image editor

save it back into the DVA and DV folders in a (probably new) cockpit folder

i would post the file

but I'm a little hesitant as its obviously TKs work...

That's nothing...mine's in GERMAN! How am I supposed to read it?

By being German? I mean, why would you buy the German edition??

By being German? I mean, why would you buy the German edition??

That would explain why I can't seem to win a campaign flying for the Brits... :biggrin:

that thing is mounted that way on one of the kites in a museum somewhere....

looks funny eh

just 'cause its mounted that way on a museumkite doesnt meant thats its correct....... of course...

for reclamations I suggest to go to www.thirdwire.correctalbpit.com ..... LOL

:grin:

extract ALB5_FACE_RPM.bmp from the ObjectData01.cat

and rotate it 90 counterclockwise in a image editor

save it back into the DVA and DV folders in a (probably new) cockpit folder

i would post the file

but I'm a little hesitant as its obviously TKs work...

Thanks Poppy-

I thought there was a fix, but I wasn't sure if TK had to do it.

Out of town for RL fun now. I'll try the fix when I return. It seems simple enough, even for moi!

sinbad

My understanding is the tach is supposed to sit like that. The guns were synchronised to fire through the prop arc--natch. Changing the rpm altered the rate at which the guns fired. With the tach "on its side," the needle was situated more or less vertically at combat rpms and much easier to discern peripherally. I do not know if this was a design modification or field modification.

I changed mine. But I will change it back if it proves to be historically correct.

Edited by Barkhorn1x

makes perfect sense JFM

it was the reason that many German craft had the Tach outside the pit near the guns

how ever the one clearish shot i have of a D5 tach "seems" to indicate it was upright... (its a pretty fuzzy pic) :wink:

like you said maybe a field mod or only from some factories

gallery_23136_82_46553.jpg

That's Mai's 5284/17. There is a shot of Hippel and his sister standing next to 2065/17 at Boistrancourt in which the tach is clearly visible on its side. All the D.III shots I have the tach appears "upright." Within the last year I read about the "leaning" tachs but I just can't put on finger on where I ran across this. I'll go through my library and report back. As it is, though, I believe TK got it right.

In any event, it is certainly more accurate than those random decals that appear on the German planes, but that's another thread.

In any event, it is certainly more accurate than those random decals that appear on the German planes, but that's another thread.

Do you mean the fuselage side motifs? They are authentic markings alright - they just don't appear on the right a/c!!

That's Mai's 5284/17. There is a shot of Hippel and his sister standing next to 2065/17 at Boistrancourt in which the tach is clearly visible on its side. All the D.III shots I have the tach appears "upright." Within the last year I read about the "leaning" tachs but I just can't put on finger on where I ran across this. I'll go through my library and report back. As it is, though, I believe TK got it right.

About the tach. positioning; could it be that the installation varied by a/c to some extent?

After all, WWI German standardization and quality control left a bit to be desired at times.

About the tach. positioning; could it be that the installation varied by a/c to some extent?

After all, WWI German standardization and quality control left a bit to be desired at times.

Bark,

Yes, regarding the markings, that's what I meant: markings on wrong planes. For instance, Jasta 15's markings appear on my Jasta 11 Albs.

Regarding the tach positioning, sure it could have varied. Well, not "could have," it did. Look at Mai and Hippel's DVs. In First Eagles it really doesn't matter which way the tach lies because the rate-of-fire never changes, regardless of rpms. Until constant speed props, rpms were a significant consideration for rate of fire. I'd love to see this modeled into a WW1 sim!

Here's a quite fascinating and informative thread on rpms and rate-of-fire: http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/aircraft...uperiority.html

Bark,

Yes, regarding the markings, that's what I meant: markings on wrong planes. For instance, Jasta 15's markings appear on my Jasta 11 Albs.

Well, the RFC/RAF has letter codes. And the FAS/USAS has number codes. So I guess TK and the gang thought it would be a good idea to try and jazz up the GAS a/c by rotating some commonly known motifs amongst the Jastas. Try a single mission and hit the F6 key about 20 times and you will see all sorts of markings.

I haven't really looked at the decal files much. Perhaps I will now. :yes:

Edited by Barkhorn1x

Well, the RFC/RAF has letter codes. And the FAS/USAS has number codes. So I guess TK and the gang thought it would be a good idea to try and jazz up the GAS a/c by rotating some commonly known motifs amongst the Jastas. Try a single mission and hit the F6 key about 20 times and you will see all sorts of markings.

I haven't really looked at the decal files much. Perhaps I will now. :yes:

I think it was a cool idea to incorporate the different German heraldry. I really shouldn't complain--and, really, I didn't mean to--about them being off because I have no idea how to fix it. If I may help in some way please let me know.