Sign in to follow this  
Revvin

Defected to the dark side

I felt like a change so after two years of XBOX 360 ownership I traded it in for a 60GB PS3. Nothing wrong with the 360 format, just wanted to try something different and got a good price on trade-in. I'm liking it so far, the cross media bar or XMB is familiar as I have a PSP and I like the PS Store layout better than the Xbox Live Marketplace's static lists as the PS Network is laid out more like a web page but perhaps thats just my familiarity with browsing sites on a PC. I got Motorstorm and Resistance: Fall of Man and Spiderman 3 on Blu-Ray (though I don't have a HDTV but it was free so what the hell!) Motorstorm is a lot of fun, arcade dirt racing but its a good laugh. Resistance: Fall of Man is like a cross between Gears of War and Call of Duty 3 as its a fictional story of a genetic experimentation at the end of WWII gone wrong so you have zombie/alien type infestation and you play the role of a US solider who gets send in with a group to take them on - well thats the story in a nutshell...kinda :)

Anyway so far so good, looking forward to seeing CoD4 on it :good:

I just don't see enough games on the PS3 yet for me to even consider it.

Of course, I would have a 360 already if it weren't for the hardware problems.

I just don't see enough games on the PS3 yet for me to even consider it.

Of course, I would have a 360 already if it weren't for the hardware problems.

The PS3 still lacks the great exclusive titles like the 360 has such as Halo but they are coming. For me it was not so much a decison based on console A having a game console B didn't as I think the 360 is a good format but for me it was time for a change and maybe by the next generation of consoles I'll switch back. Resistance: Fall of Man is a lot of fun but this friday I'll be buying CoD4 most likely and thats one good thing about these consoels is you can switch yet still play a lot of your favourite games as they are multiplatform.

As far as the hardware problems with the 360 I think the new Premiums are shipping with the new 65nm chips and I believe that is the case with the new 40GB model PS3 so they run a lot cooler than before though the PS3 has not had the same kind of hardware issues as the 360 from what I've read. The new 360's should be a lot more reliable though I hope they changed the DVD drive also as that was another weak point on the XBOX line.

I'm happy with the switch, I've been able to experience IMHO the two best next gen consoles available and both have ther strong points. One feature I'd like to see Sony develop is the 'Remote Play' feature which allows you to access your PS3 from your PSP. There is only one game playable remotely but maybe in future that number will rise. This is a picture of my PSP navigating the games menu on my PS3's XMB (cross media bar) and displaying the GT5 Prologue demo I downloaded a few days ago. Access can be gained by WiFi locally or over the internet remotely. Nice but they need to work on this feature.

post-2019-1194447602_thumb.jpg

Edited by Revvin

I couldn't justify a PS3. Even my 360 sits there and collects dust. I use it to watch movies. I haven't played a game on it in a long long time.

The problem is the new Falcon board 360s changed the CPU to 65nm, but left the GPU 90nm. The dreaded RROD is caused by the GPU heating and warping the board so that the solder breaks and the connections fail. Old boards had not even a heatsink on it. The new ones I think finally have a heatsink, but I don't believe there's an internal fan blowing air on it. That's what it should have, like modern CPUs and GPUs for PCs have. MS cut corners stupidly on the cooling issue and they're paying for it now.

The issue as I read it was that there is a hetasink on the GPU (a GPU without a heatsink would never work), I've seen a video with a big heatsink other than that of the CPU and it was a clamp that held the heatsink in place warping and allowing the heatsink to wander causing the problem. Apparently on 360's sent in with the RROD MS was installing a newly designed heatsink that was slightly larger but also had an inproved clamp to stop it wandering when it got hot and warped like the old one.

I bought my PS3 mainly because A) I have never been dissapointed with a sony product, and B) I've heard bad things about the 360. I havent been dissapointed by the PS3! The graphics are awesome! And the fact that I can browse through the internet on a console is unique! BTW I have been on this site a couple of times on my beloved PS3! Although I will be sad when I have to leave it for a time when I got to Airforce Basic training next October!

Edited by Falcon161

I bought my PS3 mainly because A) I have never been dissapointed with a sony product, and B) I've heard bad things about the 360. I havent been dissapointed by the PS3! The graphics are awesome! And the fact that I can browse through the internet on a console is unique! BTW I have been on this site a couple of times on my beloved PS3! Although I will be sad when I have to leave it for a time when I got to Airforce Basic training next October!

Yeah I have Combatace bookmarked on my PS3 for when I'm too lazy to run upstairs and switch my Pc on, or my laptop isn't switched on or my PSP isn't to hand :biggrin:

I couldn't justify a PS3. Even my 360 sits there and collects dust. I use it to watch movies. I haven't played a game on it in a long long time.

Same here, my X-Box runs mostly movies, and the occasional play of SW Battlefront 1&2.

And the fact that I can browse through the internet on a console is unique!

i guess you never owned a sega dreamcast with the keyboard and mouse. browsing the internet with that was easy, except for the 56k modem part.

Na I had PS one until Christmas of 2002 when I got a PS2! But now everybody at my school is Jealous of me because I have the 60GB PS3! Everyone of my friends who comes to my house play it on my dads HD TV. Heck even my dad loves to see it on the HDTV when I have it connected with $30 HD cables I bought from EB Games, compared to the $50 HDMI at wallmart. I usually play COD4 and NFSPS on it but I also play War Hawk, and Gundam:Cross Fire on it alot!

Edited by Falcon161

Uh...your name "Revin" falling to the Dark Side? Been done, like 20,000 years ago...

What?

Edited by Revvin

Nope sorry not even close, not even the same spelling <shrug>

i can't choose: if i get a 360, i can play ace combat 6.

but if i get a ps3, i can play all the remaining

to be or not to be?