Sign in to follow this  
Wolf65

Which mission editor?

I want to play around with the game, so which mission editor would you suggest?

I'm looking for something user-friendly.

I want to play around with the game, so which mission editor would you suggest?

I'm looking for something user-friendly.

As far as I know the only mission editors available are "KMD" and "Le Missioneur". They both do the same thing, but I find "Le Missioneur" a bit more user friendly and easier to learn how to use. It's available at the Check6 site (a little french is useful) but it operates in English.

I tried Le Missioneur but it messed up my graphics something horrible so I have not tried it again - but this may have been a freak incident. KMD is terrific once you have mastered it. I have built some great missions full of action with KMD. You just have to be scrupulously systematic and ensure that you apply and save all after each item is set up or modified. Kreelin is also around these forums and SimHQ and is very helpful with advice and support. A couple of years ago there was a small bug in KMD and he went and fixed it for us right away. I think there are more of us using KMD, so it is possibly easier to get help (?)

I tried Le Missioneur but it messed up my graphics something horrible so I have not tried it again - but this may have been a freak incident. KMD is terrific once you have mastered it. I have built some great missions full of action with KMD. You just have to be scrupulously systematic and ensure that you apply and save all after each item is set up or modified. Kreelin is also around these forums and SimHQ and is very helpful with advice and support. A couple of years ago there was a small bug in KMD and he went and fixed it for us right away. I think there are more of us using KMD, so it is possibly easier to get help (?)

I've been using Le Missioneur for years now without any incidents, so I suspect your graphics issue was a freak incident.

I think you're right. I liked the look of Le Missioneur but you know what it is like when you have a crash - you get nervous about trying something again. In general, Le Missioneur looked more user-friendly but I have got used to KMD and find it works well.

Which brings me to a point raised before. I have made brilliant missions using IL-2 FMB very quickly and I think that the Thirdwire series would have yet another lease of life if we had a similarly easy and flexible Full Mission Builder and ground maps as part of the game engine. I know this has been done to death and I am very happy with KMD. But not everyone is that adept at mission-building and it takes significantly longer to make a successful mission in the TW series. Placing ground objects and orientating them is such an easy thing to do in the IL-2 series. But it's okay - I have a great time making missions in WoV and WoE and hardly play Il-2 any more, so this is not a complaint - more of a yearning in my favourite games! In the meantime, thank God for KMD and Kreelin's work ... and no doubt Le Missioneur for its fans.

I think you're right. I liked the look of Le Missioneur but you know what it is like when you have a crash - you get nervous about trying something again. In general, Le Missioneur looked more user-friendly but I have got used to KMD and find it works well.

Which brings me to a point raised before. I have made brilliant missions using IL-2 FMB very quickly and I think that the Thirdwire series would have yet another lease of life if we had a similarly easy and flexible Full Mission Builder and ground maps as part of the game engine. I know this has been done to death and I am very happy with KMD. But not everyone is that adept at mission-building and it takes significantly longer to make a successful mission in the TW series. Placing ground objects and orientating them is such an easy thing to do in the IL-2 series. But it's okay - I have a great time making missions in WoV and WoE and hardly play Il-2 any more, so this is not a complaint - more of a yearning in my favourite games! In the meantime, thank God for KMD and Kreelin's work ... and no doubt Le Missioneur for its fans.

I whole-heartedly agree!

Ok, thanks. :good:

I'll check both out and see which one suits me the best.

KMD here. Once you learn the little quirks, KMD is very fast to work with, and Kreelin added a metric option for distance measurment.

LMD (?? :wink: ) I tried and it looked good but I had to click past the Mirage III picture everytime, which is a fundamental no-no in user interface design. If the Mirage was a startup screen that turned itself off once the LMD loaded, it would be nice.

That's not really a problem.

Anyway, does anyone know how to add ships and ground objects in Le Missioneur? I clicked the ship and tank buttons and there's nothing in the drop down menu

That's not really a problem.

Anyway, does anyone know how to add ships and ground objects in Le Missioneur? I clicked the ship and tank buttons and there's nothing in the drop down menu

I had the same problem at first. You have to make sure that you have updated the installation. The download is for SFP1 level, you need to update it to SFP4. It's simple, just use the automatic update located in the dropdown menus at the top. I think it's TOOLS>OPTIONS>UPDate. Once selected it will update automatically.

Edited by tank03

I had the same problem at first. You have to make sure that you have updated the installation. The download is for SFP1 level, you need to update it to SFP4. It's simple, just use the automatic update located in the dropdown menus at the top. I think it's TOOLS>OPTIONS>UPDate. Once selected it will update automatically.

Thanks, works! :good: