Sign in to follow this  
FastCargo

Hornets aren't the only ones with stingers...

New weapon released/improved upon:

gallery_12105_43_719916.jpg

Expect to see a few platforms to carry these...not just helos...

FastCargo - HWG

Thanks FC that is exactly what it needed. Just perfect. Thank you.

Sweet, super work as usual, FC!

We are truly not worthy and should lower our eyes in your prescence for fear of being turned to stone.

How about this for your next challenge and a test of your powers:

The Russians developed and tested I believe on a SU-27 a rearward firing air to air missile base on the R-73 (A-11 Archer) which was designed to provide coverage of the rear hemisphere of an aircraft. The missile was launched in the opposite direction to the carrier aircraft. It was apparently tested in both sub and supersonic regimes.

I am unsure whether it was passive IR or slaved to a rearward facing radar.

Is it possible within TH to model such a rearward facing missile either IR or radar guided?

Lazboy

R_73.bmp

We are truly not worthy and should lower our eyes in your prescence for fear of being turned to stone.

The Russians developed and tested I believe on a SU-27 a rearward firing air to air missile base on the R-73 (A-11 Archer) which was designed to provide coverage of the rear hemisphere of an aircraft. The missile was launched in the opposite direction to the carrier aircraft. It was apparently tested in both sub and supersonic regimes.

Is it possible within TH to model such a rearward facing missile either IR or radar guided?

Lazboy

Oh yeah, I remember those in ATF Gold. Always fun to fly the Su-37 in that game with those.

Sweet, super work as usual, FC!

I seem to recall that SAC did some testing on the BUFF with an AIM-9 pointed rearward and with it pointed forward. At the end of the day maneuvering the defensive aircraft (the BUFF) usually moved the offensive aircraft (attacking fighter) out of the missile's acquisition cone and a good lock was never achieved for the rear-facing missile. Better luck was obtained when making a closing fighter overshoot and light him up as he smokes by with a forward facing missile. At low altitude the ground kept getting in the way of the missile and lock-on in either case so the project was scrapped since low-altitude penetration of enemy airspace was standard and high-altitude defense was considered out moded. Besides with the Su-27s capability to bend itself around a turn and achieve extremely high AOA (angle of attack) why would you want a rear-firing missile.

Lazboy

Well, the reason it wasn't fielded is what Jug said...plus a couple of other factors. One, you have to make the missile fly in the wrong direction and not tumble, overcome it's initial velocity, then reaccelerate to a decent velocity to be able to manuver to kill your target.

Or just have a missile use your HMS cue, come off the rail and make a hard, 40+ G turn (like AIM-9Xs do).

Sounds a lot easier for the second option.

As far as in game...heck, anyone tried mounting a missile, just turn the attachment angle 180 degrees out in the data.ini file?

FastCargo

I like the Stinger. Cobras have alot more bite now that they have hellfires and stingers.

Also if 180 degrees is all that it takes...

Funny to put it that way, since the YF-17 was called the Cobra and it turned into the Hornet. :biggrin:

As for the rear-firing missiles, I thought it was planned for the Su-34, which was more like an F-15E and not that agile. It has that rear radar and it's supposed to allow a shot at an opponent more agile than you that's on your six. Won't help against a BVR shot of course.

Israeli have a missile called the python 5. It is initialy shot forward but it makes a 180 degree turn and hits anything behind the aircraft from 10 to .5 (1/2) miles away.

Well, between the other things I have going on right this second, I decided to test out using an 'attachment angle of 180 degrees in the other direction' idea.

First, took the MF F-16 ADF and reversed one of the tip rails with a data.ini edit:

gallery_12105_43_134926.jpg

Then took it out on a CAP, and turned the radar off (so it wouldn't get any cues from the radar for slaving it's seeker).

Gave it a shot:

gallery_12105_43_92866.jpg

I figured the effects might initially look like this...after all, the missile is traveling in the wrong direction...at first.

But guess what?

gallery_12105_43_57698.jpg

then:

gallery_12105_43_83327.jpg

Now, it doesn't hit anything...but not for lack of trying, check out the AIM-9X:

gallery_12105_43_61501.jpg

Here is the very interesting part...at the debrief screen, it says I took a shot at one of my wingmen. It did this every time I attempted a shot when a wingman would be in the 'general area' of it's seeker.

So, it's trying to make the intercept. These are the stock Weapons Pack missiles by the way, they are not altered in any way.

What I'm saying is...I think it CAN be done. Just alter a stock missile weapondata.ini entry. Don't try using the radar...I think that would just screw it up.

FastCargo