Sign in to follow this  
peterbezemer

Falcon 4 mod

Hello,

I have falcon 4.0

I have seen there are several mods on the www.

For example: 'free falcon' 'super pack'(?) and 'open falcon'

What are the differences, which one is the best?

With F4:AF's release, things just got muddied up.

The first were the RPs, realism patches. All they did was attempt to correct the unrealistic aspects of the original game. This got rolled up with another mod (eFalcon?) to make the super patches.

Free Falcon and Open Falcon both attempted to upgrade the graphics I think. So much so that the most recent OF/FF mods look better than F4:AF, which was worked on more for stability, something the mods all are notorious for not having, especially in MP.

However, there's been so much merging and splitting and abandoning of mod work it's hard to keep track unless you're up to date on it. I think the Red Viper mod was the last big one.

I'm just sticking with F4:AF for ease of use and installation. :grin:

I'm just sticking with F4:AF for ease of use and installation. :grin:

For a hassle free life Falcon 4 AF gets my vote - dont have the time to even argue about the others :biggrin:

Hi all,

I don't think I've ever posted here before, so Hello, nice to meet ya!

Red Viper gets my vote. I've done the Falcon Dance since the day it came out, and just found Red Viper last week...after some trouble configuring it to work on a Vista machine, it's running like silk, and has beautiful graphics. The flight model is WAY above all other itterations of F4, and the AI is awesome...most challenging and realistic I think I've ever flown against. They seem to have no cheats..like BoBII..they are as limited as you are. No more Mig29's going verticle like an X-Wing or something. Can't speak for MP, I don't have a net connection on my flight PC, and I haven't digested the entire sim yet, been away from F4 for quite a while, but Red Viper is as much of an update to F4 as you could want.

Like I said, I initially had trouble getting it to run right..it would run fine one mission, then I'd get a black screen any time after that. Changed drivers, did a reinstall and added both FreeFalcon patches right afterward WITHOUT rebooting, THEN rebooted, and have not had any problems. The graphics are almost as good as LOMAC, and gun kills are alot of fun.

Red Viper is installed over F4AF, so it does work. Be forewarned, though.. if you install RV, the sound and graphics will spoil you immediately.. you won't ever be able to go back to a vanilla F4 install! You should see and HEAR a flyby in RV..it'll bring a tear to your eye.

Hi Mark - glad you got that to run on Vista - knew something must run on it :)

Hi Mark - glad you got that to run on Vista - knew something must run on it :)

Hi,

Well, as is always the case, I guess I spoke too soon. I did something wrong, and now I've got the Black Screen problem again. Have no idea how I got it to run right in the first place, other than what I described above, and don't know what I changed that caused the problem to appear again. I've searched for an answer everywhere, and it seems to be a Vista specific problem with no solution at this point, but the Free Falcon forums hint at a fix in the next release, which is 4 to 6 months away. I am determined to fix it, somehow...if I do I'll post the answer at all the major boards. Red Viper is too cool to let go of.

But, as far as getting stuff to run on Vista, I haven't had ANY problems with anything up till now.. and I've got about everything you could think of..SH4, SH3, LOMAC, F4AF, Bioshock(not impressed), Half Life, CoD 2, ArmA, GTR2, Nascar Sim Racing, FSX, I've even got MW4 and an old copy of X-Wing Alliance running...RV is my first real problem with Vista.

I was an 'original F4' player long ago... and then I upgraded to the SP3, which was certainly better. I recently dusted off F4, and explored the different mods. I couldn't find Red Viper... Free Falcon installed easily, but seemed unstable, and had some things I hoped would have been updated... Open Falcon installed easily, and I was impressed with both the (relatively good) stability and improved graphics. Without much experience in either, I'd say Open Falcon is your best bet. It's free (unlike AF, which also doesn't seem as updated/impressive).

You'll find people liking one or the other... but that's my personal pick... as I was in the same boat just a month ago...

Cheers!

Edited by Laer

Are there any mods that would upgrade graphics in Falcon 4.0 AF?

That would be cool!

Are there any mods that would upgrade graphics in Falcon 4.0 AF?

That would be cool!

Hi racinglad.

I'm not aware of any mods for F4:AF specifically. I am aware of a hi-tiles payware download for other versions of Falcon. It would be worth googling to see what turns up and if they are available for Allied Force. From what I've heard (not an owner) they are worth the purchase price.

On another note, I am a Red Viper user and I have to say that this mod has revolutionized my flight simming experience. I simply cannot speak highly enough of it. It can be found at www.freefalcon.com, in the forums, under the install guide thread. It really is as easy as installing as per the instructions.

I've heard varying degrees of success installing over F4: AF, my recommendation would be to have two installations, one normal, and one modded with Red Viper. I think if you get RV working, you will not want to go back to plain Allied Force.

There are some interesting campaigns in varying stages of completion, as well as some great payware cockpits by Aeyes. I picked up the F-15E and F-14 right away, and they are by far some of the best simming dollars I have ever spent. I realize this won't be for everyone, they run about $17 per cockpit, but for me, they were truly worth the money and I see myself getting my money's worth easily.

For an example of what they've been doing with Red Viper (which is synonymous with FreeFalcon 4), you can check a video I made here:

http://www.vimeo.com/970072

This is a beta version of the Nevada Red Flag theater, with the payware F-14 cockpit in 3-D using TrackIR. This is probably the worst terrain I've seen, and I think it is still quite good.

Best of luck,

Toonces

Wow!

I was just taking a look at the cockpits at www.cockpits.nl and fell in love with the MiG-21.

Are any of these cockpits available in Falcon 4.0 AF??

I would definetly love to fly the MiG-21.

Wow!

I was just taking a look at the cockpits at www.cockpits.nl and fell in love with the MiG-21.

Are any of these cockpits available in Falcon 4.0 AF??

I would definetly love to fly the MiG-21.

As far as I know, only the F-16 pits specifically made for AF work in AF. Most of them say which version of Falcon they are for.

Supposedly only the F-16 is supported in AF, so there aren't any payware Aeyes pits for other aircraft in AF. But like I said before, you can install Red Viper over an AF install, and then use the payware pits in your Red Viper installation. In fact, there's a free MiG-21 pit that comes with the RV install.

Yes - it is actually designed for the Original Falcon 4 and works best over that.

Hi everyone!

Being one of the earlier Falcon fans (as far back as the Falcon on the Atari ST), I would like to update and catch up with the F4 scene. I lost touch with this fab sim since 2001/2002 and I think I went as far as patching with the Super Pak (original release). Then I lost all my files! Starting with my old F4 (original) once again, I am at a loss as to the amount of stuff that seems to be there, and yet more often than not their respective links are either down or have since been closed / withdrawn?! What can I get, where can I get it from, and how (in which order) please? Your assistance would be appreciated. Also I would like to venture and ask would it be practical to try ALL the current flavours? I gather that there are some 2 or 3 mutually incomaptable upgrade paths? Like FF and OF? I have enough disk space so would it be possible to install every version for comparison? If I get Allied Force, then I heared that it can be updated with RV? Which also upgrades the old vanilla F4? I'd appreciate confirmation of this. Finally, is there a kind of online respository where ALL the upgrades and patches can be found? I can't find my old upgrades and patches so I really do not know what to do and how to proceed as it seems I have to trawl through a ton of confusing links and dance many times etc etc.

I don't mind the dancing routine, as long as I get a working product at the end. I just tried 'upgrading' my old F4 with OF 4.3 last night, it got through the menu and mission selection, then it froze when loading the mission. Cheers, and happy flying! SparrowHawk

Hi everyone,

I'm back after experimenting again last night with patching Falcon 4. I have managed to update it using SP4, then installed BMS v2 on top of that (following some hints and tips from another website).

It hang up as soon as I selected missions (e.g. training) it goes through the splash screen but freezes before it's about to open the cockpit screen. Is this a DX or graphics issue or have I missed some important step?

I have done the F4108US update, restarted, defragged, installed SP4 and that seemd to fire up OK, but bugs out occasionally.

Then I uninstalled everything, deleted the Microprose directory, reinstalled in this order: F4CD--> F4108US -->F4SP4-->OpenFalcon 4.3 : the second time I did this it took almost 30 minutes to update the files, then I started FalconSP. As soon as it got past the missions menu and into the cockpit it stopped with the usual microsoft application error dialogue.

What am I missing in the sequence of dancing here?

Please help.

Many thanks!

My system:

AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 2.2 Ghz

RAM 2GB Elixir DDR 400

ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 512MB DD3

500GB Seagate HDD sATA

Zonealarm Firewall

AVG Antivirus

Hi everyone.

I've been playing falcon 4 af for quite a while now,But am very interested in playing the old f4 modded.

The red viper addon:Is that a standalone add or is it used in conjunction with open/free falcon?

Are ther manuals available to learn to fly different planes?

Over the last few years I have still not come across a flight sim that offers a wide variety of flyable aircraft and helicopters as well as addon terrains and campaigns,So I'm temted to try out the open/free falcon and red viper versions.

For the old F4 there is Red Viper and Open Falcon - both are seperate mods

As for other planes RV may have some instructions

Over the last few years I have still not come across a flight sim that offers a wide variety of flyable aircraft and helicopters as well as addon terrains and campaigns,So I'm temted to try out the open/free falcon and red viper versions.

Jeez!!! Well mate guess youve never tried the the strike fighters 2 series - maybe its about time you did - try SF2 or SF2 Israel - best money youll ever spend

Edited by MigBuster

Had a look at the strike fighter games,they look awesome!They're not available in store in South Africa, so I'll have to download them.

Thanks for the info.

I have installed red viper 1package and patches over a fresh install of Allied force 1.0.13 and it works(Windows XP)

With grafics tweaks done for red viper, will hitilesAF enhance or deteriate that?

Is it still only the f 16 that has its own cockpit?

Want to buy some pits.

Thanks

A guy called Aeyes used to sell and give away pits on his site - best to look for the RV forums. Not sure if hitiles AF actually works when RV is installed - again best to check their forums.

Hi everyone,

I'm back after experimenting again last night with patching Falcon 4. I have managed to update it using SP4, then installed BMS v2 on top of that (following some hints and tips from another website).

It hang up as soon as I selected missions (e.g. training) it goes through the splash screen but freezes before it's about to open the cockpit screen. Is this a DX or graphics issue or have I missed some important step?

I have done the F4108US update, restarted, defragged, installed SP4 and that seemd to fire up OK, but bugs out occasionally.

Then I uninstalled everything, deleted the Microprose directory, reinstalled in this order: F4CD--> F4108US -->F4SP4-->OpenFalcon 4.3 : the second time I did this it took almost 30 minutes to update the files, then I started FalconSP. As soon as it got past the missions menu and into the cockpit it stopped with the usual microsoft application error dialogue.

What am I missing in the sequence of dancing here?

Please help.

Many thanks!

My system:

AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 2.2 Ghz

RAM 2GB Elixir DDR 400

ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 512MB DD3

500GB Seagate HDD sATA

Zonealarm Firewall

AVG Antivirus

The install basics for OF are Falcon 4.0 {not AF} then OF 4.3-----nothing else is required.

I would go with OF 4.5 OCI{one click install} personally.

OF 4.7 is also available.

Good luck

Also shut off zonealarm OF does not like it,,,,,try AVAST{free}