Sign in to follow this  
Viggen

Strike Fighters Gold

I'm thinking about buying Strike Fighters Gold from the TW site. Apart from the fact that the F-104 and C-130 were removed, what is different? Will the patches for SFP1 work in SFG?

I believe so. They work for me. But I dont know which one I have because when I look in the main folder, I see two choices, SFG and SFP1 so i dunno which one i play. Ill try it in a min and get back to you.

No need. I got WOV instead.

Wait a second, I thought that the carriers were an important part of SFP1 and SFG. Why else would the F-4B/J and A-4B/C/E/F be in it?

Wait a second, I thought that the carriers were an important part of SFP1 and SFG. Why else would the F-4B/J and A-4B/C/E/F be in it?

I suspect because the premise of the game was that this foreign government bought US made aircraft for it's own air force. (kind of like the Israelis used A-4 w/o having a carrier)

I thought the storyline was that Dhimari was attacked by Parani for oil and then the USAF and USN moved in to support Dhimari while the USSR supported Parani. There are no carriers in the campaign (all the US aircraft are based in Dhimarian bases), but you could always add one yourself.

BTW, I think the only difference was that SFG came with 2 more campaigns. TK also released the F-104G in a patch, and a 3rd party (IMO better than stock) C-130 is available here.

That sounds about right. How do I add one if I don't have WOV? I tried it and it failed me.

You can't really. You need the carrier's files (about 27 texture files, ini files etc) and I think you only get them from WoV. Although, I'm not sure if it's necessary now that you don't need the groundobjects.ini from WoV. I think you'd just be able to grab a carrier from here at CA and drop it in. I've always had a bit of trouble with the carriers myself, but I've got a rough idea how it works...

Adding carriers is fairly easy if you do it carefully, check the knowledge base for specifics. There are a bunch of them you can download here at CA. In SF and WOE, you can only take off from them if you use a created mission (KMD/Le Missioneur), or edit a campaign. The games mission generator won't use carriers as a starting point for single missions.

P.S. Any of the games bought from TW online store are already fully patched.