Sign in to follow this  
Dysko

Getting continuous CTDs in Strike Fighters

This morining I installed Ajunadir's InAF Canberra B(I) 58. I modified the data and loadout inis following the knowledge base's instructions and then I tried it ingame. From the hangar screen, I started the mission, but the game crashed (without showing me any error windows, unlike other times). I modified the data.ini to takeoff from small runways, but still CTD. I tried various theatres, missions etc. but still CTD.

Then I tried to remove the Canberra (the last plane I downloaded before the Canberra was Fracture's TA-4J, and I could play without any problem) and guess what... still CTD!

Now, no matter which plane, theatre, mission etc. I choose, I always get a CTD after the hangar screen, before the loading screen appears.

I didn't add any weapon while installing the Canberra, so I didn't mess up the weapondata.ini.

Finally, I can tell you that I already have Ajunadir's Canberra B1, B2, B-57C, B-57G and RB-57E, and they worked without any problem until now.

Is there a way to get everything back working without having to reinstall everything?

EDIT: I forgot to say: I have Strike Fighters Gold patched up to the last version. I have the Italian version, but I renamed the translation files in Flight and Menu folders to revert to English texts (the Italian translation is quite un-understandable...), but so far it worked without any problem.

Edited by DySkO

I seem to recall having a similar problem after installing a new airplane. Try changing the Nation you are flying for to something different. Or make sure the nation that aircraft is tagged for is included in your Nations.ini file. Also look into the squadron tag is included in the SquadronList.ini file as well. Crashing this early into the game load suggests something is happening in there somewhere. It can be something really bonehead simple like a misspelled word or a space where there should/shouldn't be one. Good luck.

You might also consider making a backup of your modded install. I use an external USB hard drive for backups and it works great.

Nope... India is listed correctly in nations.ini, and the readme makes no reference to squadronlist.ini.

I just noticed I'm getting exactly the same error with Silent Hunter III... maybe they are linked?

I'm having the exact same problem, DySkO, though it's with Wings Over Europe merged with SFP1 and WOV and heavily modded. Then it suddenly started crashing at the exact same point after I installed the missiles I made. I of course removed them and tried again, with a default aircraft, nation, and weapons, but no joy.

And as misteriously as this problem appeared, it has now disappeared :blink:

But I think I understood what happened:

This morning I installed Silent Hunter II (I wanted to challenge a friend who has Destroyer Command :biggrin: ), which apparently is not compatible with my current hardware (I replaced the video card some days ago): after 5 minutes, the game crashed for a video card problem. After that (and after having uninstalled SH2), SFG and SH3 stopped working, until my computer freezed and I had to reboot... From the reboot, I had no more problems.

Sorry for this disturbance...