Sign in to follow this  
lazboy

Tornado Navigator ejects whilst flying upside down

A navigator who ejected from an RAF Tornado fighter aircraft over Norfolk in the United Kingdom whilst the aircraft was flying upside down has been found dead in a field, the Ministry of Defence (MoD) has confirmed.

The navigator's body was found at South Creake and was pronounced dead at the scene.

The aircraft landed later safely at its RAF Marham base and the ejector seat was found near the Sandringham Estate.

The MoD said the aircraft was flown by a civilian crew from BAE Systems.

A tape of the pilot's conversation with controllers has been heard by the BBC and describes the moment the pilot realised his navigator had ejected from the aircraft. The Pilot told controllers that he had not seen a parachute deploy.

The cause of the incident is currently under investigation although it has been confirmed that no other aircraft were involved. BAE Systems are responsible for maintaining the Tornado fleet based at RAF Marham.

May the poor guy rest in peace. I was up ar Marham a few years ago doing some work experience with IX Squadron, certainly is a great base.

The a/c landed without issue. If he chose to bail I wonder what prompted it. The other option is a faulty eject system. Regardless, thoughts to his family.

there is a suggestion that he didn't actually eject but that the seat with him attached went through the canopy when the aircraft rolled inverted i.e. the seat wasn't attached to the aircraft properly.

Best to wait for all the investigations to be concluded - RAF Tornado fleet supposedly grounded as a precaution (similar to the F-15s being grounded the other week after their accident).

there is a suggestion that he didn't actually eject but that the seat with him attached went through the canopy when the aircraft rolled inverted i.e. the seat wasn't attached to the aircraft properly.

Best to wait for all the investigations to be concluded - RAF Tornado fleet supposedly grounded as a precaution (similar to the F-15s being grounded the other week after their accident).

That would seem more reasonable than the guy just bailing (though such a failure is unsettling). Scary to think what the poor guy thought when it happened, if that is indeed how the accident occured. I'll be quite interested in what the investigation uncovers.

Edited by tank03