Sign in to follow this  
J18Dread

Dolphin EP FM as a model

Peter01

Red Hammer and I were testing the different standard EP planes and were pleasantly surprised by the performance of the Dolphin, with one significant exception. It seems to slip to the side in a most curious and extreme way.

In viewing the data.ini, I noticed that sideslipdamper had been disabled. I will be testing this later with it enabled, but if I am not successful, are there any settings that may account for this behavior? Never seen this setting or behavior before. Otherwise, the Dolphin may serve as the 'normalized' model for mmp. Any suggestions or settings appreciated. Thanks.

//SideslipDamper=0.0

//AutoTrimLimit=0.0

Activating the SideslipDamper seemed to do the trick. Will not know until next dogfight.

New problem: Seems to want to nose over. Moved CG to 0.00,-3.00,0.00 from 0.00,0.00,0.00. Some improvement, but not much. Expected more. What does AutoTrimLimit do? Found no info. It is active, but set to 0.0. Is there an appropriate setting for 'nose heavy'?

Also, has anyone done any work on a cockpit for the Dolphin? The split wing spar could make for an interesting view.

Edited by J18Dread

" It seems to slip to the side in a most curious and extreme way."

Yes, it needs more work, not an easy fix. I'm sorta half way thru it, re-doing this and some of the others I have posted as beta as next step in conversion.

"What does AutoTrimLimit do? Found no info. It is active, but set to 0.0. Is there an appropriate setting for 'nose heavy'?"

Autotrim wasn't set to active in my FM. If you activated (by deleting //, even if value is 0.0), yes, it will be nose heavy. Autotrim is elevator trim setting done for you (hence auto), 0.0 will cause pitching down, 1.0 pitching up. Using this will vary considerably for different aircraft, and there is no real need for it for most FMs - TKs has done it specially only for two planes - the Dr1 and Camel, because they want to climb continously (hence value of 0.0 to settle a bit). If you want to try it out on the Dolphin FM, a value of 0.5 will probably be okay, but just keep in mind each and every plane will be different - 0.5 for another plane will probably cause other problems, notably see-sawing pitching moment.

The sideslip damper is interesting, 0.0 will have an effect (if you activate the damper, even if 0.0, it will have an effect, I think) , but in this particular case 1.0 is better. It will settle that slipping down somewhat. Using a value of 0.5 for example will in this case cause sideslip overcompensation - it will slip to other side :). I think.

BTW, I'm redoing the FMs, its necessary, either they don't feel quite right in the new game, or they can have problems (eg Dolphin, some others). And it takes time. Realised along the way that TK may implement this new flight model for his other series, as it is definitely better (the "feel" , AI, and its easier doing FMs, not as tricky), but gee, there are several years of FMs done by the community, there is a huge amount of rework here....

Edited by peter01

Peter01

Activating sideslipdamper=0.0 seemed to solve the problem for the Dolphin. De-activated Autotrim. Setting it to 0.5 made the Dolphin seem 'squirrelly'. Fix one thing, break another. Flys level now.

Dolphin is good, but D7F better. Still trying to normalize. The Spad wants to stall at almost any speed. Is there a magic setting? It used to be a fun plane.

I appreciate your insights. The SFnotes is not as helpful as I would like. Again, thanks.

Peter01

Activating sideslipdamper=0.0 seemed to solve the problem for the Dolphin. De-activated Autotrim. Setting it to 0.5 made the Dolphin seem 'squirrelly'. Fix one thing, break another. Flys level now.

Dolphin is good, but D7F better. Still trying to normalize. The Spad wants to stall at almost any speed. Is there a magic setting? It used to be a fun plane.

I appreciate your insights. The SFnotes is not as helpful as I would like. Again, thanks.

If you want to reduce stalling/stall speed, this is what to do.

In the FM in 8 different places (each 3 wing sections x left and right wing bit, plus 2 stabilizers=8), find the following entries, AlphaStall=, AlphaMax=, AlphaDepart=, eg:

AlphaStall=7.88

AlphaMax=12.81

AlphaDepart=16.26

These are angle changes that induce stall/spins. The lower the number generally (depends on plane), the easier it is to stall/spin.

To lower stall speeds/actions increase the numbers by say 3.00, consistently for all entries in order to maintain the plane specific stall characteristics after stall. Example for above:

AlphaStall=10.88

AlphaMax=15.81

AlphaDepart=19.26

Try that, and if not enough, then increase more by smallish increments (another 3.00 or so) to reduce stalling/spinning speed, doing it consistently, ie, say increase by 3.00 for all variables for all sections. Consistency is necessary to maintain the stall/spin behavior when it gets into a stall.

If the stall stuff is okay, but spins are too quick (they are on spad Camel Se5), then increase the last two numbers only, MORE on stabilizers (critical part for spin), they determine when the stall goes into a spin or buffering type stall stuff goes into full on stall. Again, consistently.

If you want to deactivate the stall stuff competely, but still fly Hard FM (there are other major differences between Hard and Normal FM, Hard is still far better even without stalls), set all CheckStall=TRUE instances in the FM to CheckStall=FALSE.

BTW the SF Notes are very good, i would have been lost without them, thanks Charles. But its only the starting point, these FMs are very complex. About the only way you can actually learn is by doing them, and asking questions along the way. Some of it is unbelievably complex, everything just about affects everything else..... and in a way, thats the difficulty in answering questions, there are many ways to do the same thing all with diferent implications. But your safe with the above on the stalls :).

Edited by peter01

Peter01

Really appreciate this. On re-reading the SF notes, I noticed that most of my changes only effect the AI. Reverting to the standard data.inis and starting over. Each time I get a little smarter. Too bad the increment is so small.

Again, thanks. Appreciate your help.