Sign in to follow this  
LloydNB

Vichy Douglas DB-7 (Casablanca 1942)

GB 1/32

cb50153449.jpg

Since Wrench is doing a Curtis H-75A, I thought I might add to the Vichy forces. Its coming along nicely but getting the strips to work properly on the cowlings is going to take some time and a lot of patience (particularly from my wife).

LloydNB

Edited by LloydNB

DAMN!!! that looks good!!

They painted on or did you go to decals???

Wrench

kevin stein

* Enter Humphrey Bogart, "Looking good sweethart..."

The cowlings are done with decals due to the stretched meshes where the left and right sides of the cowling meet. Still getting the top and bottom just right is going to take time, scaling and reshaping but the effect should be good enough.

LloydNB

This is where mine stands now; using decals 'borrowed' from Heck Mitchell's AdA Hawks that he did for that package...

vichy_hawk75-1.jpg

It's supposed to be 'representative', no particular squadron. You'll note the painted on nose stripes, while not perfect, do work. You'll also notice the shaved down nose guns...there are no bulges. Wolf has allowed Capun to re-build the lod slightly, and this really helped in skin mapping.

Its actually done, I just need to get my ass in gear and write up a readme....just lazy I guess!

Wrench

kevin stein

Very nice Wrench

We seem to have independently come to the same conclusion about the camo colours. There are so many conflicting sources out there. My Vichy stripes, while consistent with the plates that appear in French aircraft magazines, do look a bit bright and I might tone them down a bit.

Have you done the decals for aircraft codes on the rudder as a 16 separate 3 line decals? I was thinking of doing one decal for the top 2 lines (which are unchanged) and then a set of decals for individual numbers.

Lloyd

The rudder decals were done by Heck, they're one decal with differing numbers, but have all 3 lines. (look in the AdA Hawk 75) I just renumbered and reused them.

The wing insingia's are painted on, the fuse stripe/roundel is a decal due to 'strecthing'. Tail/rudder stripes were the easiest

Colors I got from simmerspaintshop, just matched the closest FS numbers, and added them to photoshop's pallete.

I also have an extra layer in all my templates; it's a 10% gray that I call 'fading'. Staring at 100% (non transparent) covering everything (excepting some little items like wheels, tires, radiator grills, etc), then I just increase the transparancy till the colors look 'faded'. I usually take it down to about 10% left. There 'should' be one in the Havoc template I sent you...not sure though!

Gotta really thank Heck for his work...I hope he see this! Couldn't have finished the original without his assistance! Or this one for that matter!!!

Wrench

kevin stein

Unfortunately I'm using PSP7 so I tend to fade the bmp files by overwriting with an opague light-grey brush. Thanks for the advice about simmerspaintshop, I'll take a look.

The DB-7 does have tricolour stripes diagonally across the wings which I'll probably add with decals.

LloydNB

Just an update. Making better progress now.

cb50153449.jpg

LloydNB

Edited by LloydNB

Ok, ok...I can take hint!!!

I'll try and have the Hawk 75 finished and out by the weekend!!

Wrench

kevin stein

Sorry Wrench

That wasn't intended as a gentle prod. Honest :angel: I was really just looking for an excuse for not providing a nations.ini entry in my Readme.

LloydNB