Sign in to follow this  
Wrench

Most heavily armed missile interceptor...

Another one of my projects, never completed, that I found yesturday in the 'full objects' install....

scorpion-j.jpg

2 Genie, 4 Falcon, and the D wing-tip rocket pods. (since we only have the D lods to play with....)

It'll need full reskinning, with new decals, markings and etc. And before anyone says anything, yes, I DO know the Genie was only mounted on the outboard stations, but the model only has a pylon on the inner stations.

Cockpit, data ini, avionics mods are nearly done (even has a landinglight!!). Stuck with using the F-4B pit, for the twin-engine anunciator panels (it's livable).

Busy finishing off the upgrade for the C, and gathering data for the J. I know I won't finish it off before we leave Tuesday for vacation (be gone all week...so, fellas, try not the burn the place down while I'm gone, ok??)

Hope to have the C out tommorrow or Monday. Yes, I'm that bored....

Wrench

kevin stein

Hi Kevin I'm real interested into the Scorpion development,having the J and H versions will be great!!!!

Hey man!

Bring it on, it woild be a terrific addition to our collection!

Air defense Command has always been my first love. The F-89 series is a great addition. By all means, finish it off and upload it for all. I have lots of color schemes we could create for it.

Mike D.

That's what I need - color schemes (but easy ones!!!). Anything you got, would be a BIG help!!!

Spend 2 1/2+ hours last night/this morning downloading the Detail and Scale for the F-89, and while a great resource, it didn't have much on color and markings. I'd love to do the J as a "Happy Hooligans" version...but that might be above my skill level. Tring to find something easy...the squadron at McChord's marking look relatively simple...riiiiight!!!!

Making new templates from the original skim bmps ain't that hard...figuring out the exact mapping, especially on the tip tanks is!! Of course, there's always decals....that's how I fixed the flight lead/squadron commander/whatever stripe for the "num000'' bird.

As to the loadouts, all my research shows most DIDN'T have the tip rps, but I think I'll leave them one anyway.

Wrench

kevin stein

Something I always thought was interesting was that the F-89J stood alert at all those US Air National Guard facilities - like Des Moines Iowa, Burlington Vermont, etc. but completely unarmed...the only armament of the J was the AIR-2A Genie - the loading guys practiced with dummy rounds, the airplanes flew with only the AIR-2 pylon, but no weps. No nuc storage facility at Des Moine or Burlington...!! Guess if the Soviet bombers made it that far inland they'd attempt to ram 'em or something...Early NORAD/ADC plans were to have ANG units stand nuc alert, but the plan never materialized. At least when the F-102 was phased into ANG service it stood alert with armed acft (AIM-4A/D, 2.75 in FFAR). I used to know a wpns tech at Bradley when they flew deuces in Conn.

Will be glad to help skin some birds with you. Have plenty of reference info from my old historian days when associated with Marty Isham, Mister ADC himself.

Mike D.

Quick slap-together for a later model J, with wing tip fuel tanks, and no rocket pods:

scorpion-j_late-model.jpg

slightly different armement, 2 Genie, 2 IR Falcon and 2 SAH Falcons

Using the C model lods, and my decals from the C as I don't have time yet to create new ones (not without more research).

Mike, when we get back next weekend, I most definately want to see what you got photo, profile, color wise. I've got new templates made up for all but the engine.bmp, as that dosen't need any repainting. As seen here, it's just a simple natural metal with no squadron markings.

Intersting you should mention Mister Isham...most of the pics in the Squad/Signal "Scropion In Action" are credited to him!!!

Still want to try and figure out the 178th FIS...I think it'd be very cool to have the "Happy Hooligans" in their old steads...them or they 84th??? out of Hamilton or Fresno or wherever! I'm a California boy!!

see ya all in a week!!!

Wrench

kevin stein

I'm tryng to catch as photo as possible to give you,both in nm and adc gray with simple paint schemes!

Hey Kevin

I took this at the AF Museum ion September.

So here you are a few: