Sign in to follow this  
Murphy'S

Look for the F-4G wild weasel preview on check-6 by the MF

Looking very good. But F-4Gs only carrier two AIM-7s.

Being the F4 lover that i am, This is lookin so good! I wouldn't care if the G carried rotten eggs :ok::clapping::good: :yes: , It still looks great!!

Is that a new GermanyCE too?

Nope that's my old VietnamSEA :biggrin:

Germany you say? Who knows, maybe soon :ninja:

Great looking Rhino! :good:

can´t wait for the F-4G & the RF-4´s from Mirage Factory...

Germany you say? Who knows, maybe soon :ninja:

OOoooooh, heard I something??? :secret:

New Phantoms looks really nice. Looks like great oponent for gerald14s new Shilka pack :yes: :good:

Cant't wait :clapping:

really?

:blink:

From Joe Baughers website.....

For self-protection, the F-4G could carry up to four AIM-9 Sidewinder air-to-air missiles on the sides of the inboard underwing pylons. In addition, four AIM-7 Sparrows could be carried in the under fuselage slots. However, the left front slot was often taken up by the installation of a ALQ-119 or ALQ-141 jammer pod.

His references,

# McDonnell Douglas Aircraft Since 1920: Volume II, Rene J. Francillon, Naval Institute Press, 1990.

# McDonnell F-4 Phantom: Spirit in the Skies. Airtime Publishing, 1992.

# Modern Air Combat, Bill Gunston and Mike Spick, Crescent, 1983.

# The American Fighter, Enzo Angelucci and Peter Bowers, Orion, 1987.

# United States Military Aircraft Since 1909, Gordon Swanborough and Peter M. Bowers, Smithsonian, 1989.

# The Fury of Desert Storm--The Air Campaign, Bret Kinzey, McGraw- Hill, 1991.

# The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Aircraft Armament, Bill Gunston, Orion, 1988.

# The World's Great Attack Aircraft, Gallery, 1988.

# Wild Weasel Phantoms, Rene Francillon, Air International, Vol 47, No. 1, 1994.

Well every picture and loadout of F-4Gs I have seen had 2 Sparrows, 'winder rails removed, etc.

Well every picture and loadout of F-4Gs I have seen had 2 Sparrows, 'winder rails removed, etc.

As far as I can tell, 2 was the most common loadout when carried at all, but I think the aircraft retained the capability to carry Sparrows on all four stations.

I have yet to see any photos at all of USAF Phantoms (C/D/E/G) with AIM-9s installed on inner pylons when carrying anything else on inner pylons.

I am fairly sure the G would have retained the ability to carry the AIM-9s, but it would always have air-to-ground ordnance on inner pylons and therefore never AIM-9s.

As for the AIM-7s, the forward bay(s) would be reserved for ecm pods critical to the Wild Weasel mission.

But it also appears that all Phantoms tended to carry only 2 Sparrows in aft bays when carrying centerline tanks.

I guess the AIM-7s in the forward bay didn't always clear the tank if fired while carrying the tank, so it was safer not to carry them at all.

Most photos of F-4s support this.

If you see 4 AIM-7s, the centerline tank is not being carried.

If you see the centerline tank, at most 2 AIM-7s in rear bays are carried.

But, there are some exceptions where photos show 4xAIM-7 and CL tank being carried.

Edited by streakeagle

Yeah. Sorry if that seemed like "rivet counting".

The photos of 4 AIM-7s and probably were for publicity. From what I've done flying with ARMs and AIM-9s in WOE on inner pylons show that the ARM would have lost fins from the Sidewinder rails.

I've got to find those books. F-4G is my phavorite Phantom.

Edited by JA 37 Viggen

# McDonnell F-4 Phantom: Spirit in the Skies. Airtime Publishing, 1992.

This is the definitive F-4 book. I have it , so does Sundowner and a few others here.

But, there are some exceptions where photos show 4xAIM-7 and CL tank being carried.

The center tank and 4 Sparrows was the most common configuration for Navy Phantoms, where the wing tanks are rarely seen.

From a guy I work with who flew the G in Desert Storm:

"Yes, you could carry four AIM-7s in the fuselage recessed stations. You are right, we usually carried an ECM pod in the forward left station (WW carried the ALQ-184). No restrictions that I can recall on AIM-7 employment due to carriage of the high-speed centerline tank (600 gal)."

The center tank and 4 Sparrows was the most common configuration for Navy Phantoms, where the wing tanks are rarely seen.

concur. Standard loadout in CVW-5 and 7 was centerline tank with 4 plus 4, no wing tanks.

From a guy I work with who flew the G in Desert Storm:

"Yes, you could carry four AIM-7s in the fuselage recessed stations. You are right, we usually carried an ECM pod in the forward left station (WW carried the ALQ-184). No restrictions that I can recall on AIM-7 employment due to carriage of the high-speed centerline tank (600 gal)."

I recall this too on our F-4E's during the ORI's (Operational Readiness Inspection) that we took part in. The only time I saw wing tanks mounted was for LONG range deployments (Europe/SW Asia) to get them there. During the ORIs both the scheduled A2A, and scheduled A2G birds had the CL tank, and the A2A birds had 4 AIM-7s and 4 AIM-9s. By comparison, the alert A2A birds were stripped of the tanks and just had 4 AIM-7s and 4 AIM-9s, while the alert CAS birds retained their 600 gal. tanks. I do not however remember if the A2G birds had AIM-9s. Our primary task was laser bombing with GBUs, and the Pave Spike pod was installed in the forward left Sparrow recess.

I do remember never seeing outer pylons installed unless we were deploying or redeploying. As soon as the jets landed at the deployment site the outer pylons and the stores they carried were removed and stored until the day before we redeployed home. Travel Pods were installed on both inboard pylons for the transit and carried crew luggage and small items of equipment.

Edited by drdoyo

Ahh good now I have an idea for Xmas :biggrin: . Thanks!

Edited by JA 37 Viggen

I think I have the original version, but I might have the updated one. If not, I have all the WAPJ, WoF, and IAPJ issues anyway. :grin:

Guest Sony Tuckson

So maybe we shouldn't release it after all?

Sony Tuckson, I hope you are just kidding!!!

I appreciate all of the new a/c. What I value about the TW sims is scalability. If you want "realism" simply configure the loadouts to match real-life. Simple.

Conversely, if you want a more "recreational" experience, then load stuff wherever the heck you want, and go blow stuff up! Also, simple.

I like having the option.

Can't wait for this F-4G!

Thanksgiving, turkey, football, a new F-4G...Life's Good. :clapping: