Sign in to follow this  
Zurawski

MV-22B Osprey Beta Release v1.0

... Just in time for the Thanksgiving weekend!

MV-22B Osprey

Beta Release v1.0

“The V-22 Osprey is a joint service, multi-mission, military tilt rotor aircraft with both a vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL) and short takeoff and landing (STOL) capability. It is designed to perform missions like a conventional helicopter with the long-range, high-speed cruise performance of a turboprop aircraft. The V-22 was developed by Bell Helicopter Textron, which manufactures it in partnership with Boeing Helicopters. The initial operators are the U.S. Marine Corps and United States Air Force. The FAA classifies the Osprey as a model of powered lift aircraft.”… Wikipedia.

Welcome to the beta release of the MV-22 Osprey for use in the Thirdwire series of flight simulations. This package is provided as a public shake-down to: 1.) Get community feed-back before the final version is released. 2.) Allow the community to enjoy the project while waiting for the cockpit to be completed. I realize not everyone agrees with my staggered release philosophy, however I find this works best for my snails-pace development process. Remember the cockpit it just a placeholder… I’ll be working on that while you good people put the plane through its paces.

I encourage you to work the Osprey over and critique it as you will and communicate with me anything you find that you believe will benefit the final release. I’ve been doing this a long time and have a fairly thick skin so do your worst!

Installation

1.) Unzip the archive.

2.) Cut/Paste the MV-22 folder within the aircraft directory of your Strike Fighters, Wings over Vietnam or Wings over Europe Installation.

3.) Cut/Paste the MV22.wav sound file within the MV-22 Sound folder into the Sounds directory within your Strike Fighters, Wings over Vietnam or Wings over Europe Installation.

4.) Fly and have fun!

Flight Instructions

STOL – (Short Take Off and Landing) - Rotate the outboard engine nacelles (done by activating the keys you have mapped to controls thrust vectoring) above 45-degrees (I find around 60 works best). Release brakes, slowly feed in throttle. As you exceed 80 knots, apply full up elevator and apply full throttle. As you climb, raise gear and slowly rotate the engine nacelles to zero to achieve horizontal flight configuration. Approach landing in this configuration as you would a conventional aircraft.

VTOL – (Vertical Take Off and Landing) - Rotate the outboard engine nacelles to their full 90-Degree position. Slowly apply throttle to exceed 75 percent (this will change with any cargo load or fuel use… adjust as necessary). While in hover mode, direction and attitude is controlled by pitch and roll. Rudder input controls rotation about the axis and throttle obviously effects climb or decent. Landing is a bit more difficult… You’ll need to rotate the engine nacelles to 90-degrees, reduce throttle and bank a bit to scrub off speed. Once below 240 knots, drop gear to increase drag, further reducing airspeed. As you slow to below 100 knots you will develop some buffeting… this is normal as the wings are obviously losing their lift. I find a good controlled decent can be achieved around 60 percent throttle. Goose the throttle a bit before touch-down to soften the landing.

Operational Notes

1.) The Osprey must be flown in hard mode. The osprey does some really bizarre things in normal and easy, so don’t even try it…

2.) The real-world Osprey is fly-by-wire… the onboard computer does a lot of the workload that you will need to do to fly the Osprey smoothly and efficiently. Rule of thumb: Use small control inputs while in hover and don’t over correct when it gets squirrelly. If you ham-fist the Osprey it will throw you all over the place.

3.) This is a very poly-heavy project (15,180 polygons)… Don’t be surprised if your PC chugs a bit. Final release will be more poly-optimized with recursive lower-poly lods, so the final release will run considerable smoother.

4.) Left to model are: The damage bits and artwork, lower-level lods, and the cockpit obviously.

That’s it… fly have fun and don’t be afraid to critique.

Legal gobble de gook

Everything contained within this package was created me. Nothing within this package can be modified and uploaded as your own work without express written consent from me. Nothing within this package can be included with any other free or commercial package without my written consent.

Available "now" at my website here: Zur-TECH.com

Will also be available here at CombatAce as soon as it's approved!

Edited by Zurawski

OOPS... Consider this an Addendum and tips post.

Flight

~ To transition from vertical flight to forward flight, feed forward nacelle "slowly"... get some air flowing over the wings. If you put it in too fast it will pitch you into the ground in a snap.

~If your having a problem coming into a hover/vertical landing to slow... feed a tap of forward nacelle to get a little forward momentum...

~ Game starts with the props clipping into the ground... sorry, it's just a limitation of the game engine.

~ The key you have mapped to open bomb-bay, opens the cargo door... not that there's anything in there... it just looks nice.

... That's it for now... I'll update if I see anything else I managed to forget.

Edited by Zurawski

We are not worthy! :)

Thanks for the bird...a treat to be sure!

FastCargo

Just took a short hop in the MV-22B, Great Job! The model looks amazing and it handles pretty well also. THANK YOU! :good:

Talk about a fun bird! It is also one pf the easiest to taxi as well :good: Quite the pain to get to hover (lost about 6 Ospreys :rolleyes: ) but over all very good.

realy cool bird :good: !! i just dwload it and now i am gonna fly it :ok:

Long story short... this bird requires a little practice and and a lot of patience...

I've become so proficent in this bird, I can take-off and land virtually anywhere! My favorite challenge is to launch off a carrier, make a circuit and put it back down on the aft of the ship.

:clapping:

This is a great addition to the mods collection!

Thanks!

I can't wait to try it when I get back to the apt tonight :)

i really like it, but look whre is the bomb O.ô, yes im carryng a bomb.

do you have plans to put Humvees or transport troops?

xD

i really like it, but look whre is the bomb O.ô, yes im carryng a bomb.

do you have plans to put Humvees or transport troops?

xD

The hardpoint location is set-up for the jeep right now... I plan on providing a few different loadout packages in the final release (Paratroopers... high-alt cargo drops... low-level cargo drops... maybe a vehical or two. Only thing available right now is the jeep.

look the size of my smile :))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

thanks zur :)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Keep it on topic and while Silverbolt has issues with spelling, it's not for us to totally make fun of him.

Keep it on topic and while Silverbolt has issues with spelling, it's not for us to totally make fun of him.

THANKS YOU FOR WARNING MR BIG PANTS MODERATOR FLANKER i WILL NOT TALK ABOUT MY SO BIG PENSU IN THIS ZUR TOPIC AGAINS I AM SORRY FOR CAUSE PROBLEM.

Don't start with me man, just don't.

Don't start with me man, just don't.

Turn that frown upside down, Flanker!

sorry guys, im flying here :huh::mellow:

*language diferents concepts of funny :huh:

Edited by Silverbolt

Sweet ride and I love the detail in the cabin. Had a little trouble getting off the ground smoothly at first, but quickly got a hold of it. It flies quite well.