Sign in to follow this  
Zurawski

MV-22B Osprey v2.2

MV-22B Osprey v2.2

MV-22B Osprey

Release v2.2

“The V-22 Osprey is a joint service, multi-mission, military tilt rotor aircraft with both a vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL) and short takeoff and landing (STOL) capability. It is designed to perform missions like a conventional helicopter with the long-range, high-speed cruise performance of a turboprop aircraft. The V-22 was developed by Bell Helicopter Textron, which manufactures it in partnership with Boeing Helicopters. The initial operators are the U.S. Marine Corps and United States Air Force. The FAA classifies the Osprey as a model of powered lift aircraft.”… Wikipedia.

Installation

1.) Unzip the archive.

2.) Cut/Paste the MV-22 folder within the aircraft directory of your Strike Fighters, Wings over Vietnam or Wings over Europe, Wings over Israel Installation.

3.) Cut/Paste the sound file within the sound folder into the Sounds directory your Strike Fighters, Wings over Vietnam, Wings over Israel or Wings over Europe Installation.

4.) Fly and have fun!

Flight Instructions

STOL – (Short Take Off and Landing) - Rotate the outboard engine nacelles (done by activating the keys you have mapped to controls thrust vectoring) above 45-degrees (I find around 60 works best). Release brakes, slowly feed in throttle. As you exceed 80 knots, apply full up elevator and apply full throttle. As you climb, raise gear and slowly rotate the engine nacelles to zero to achieve horizontal flight configuration. Approach landing in this configuration as you would a conventional aircraft.

VTOL – (Vertical Take Off and Landing) - Rotate the outboard engine nacelles to their full 90-Degree position. Slowly apply throttle to exceed 75 percent (this will change with any cargo load or fuel use… adjust as necessary). While in hover mode, direction and attitude is controlled by pitch and roll. Rudder input controls rotation about the axis and throttle obviously effects climb or decent. Landing is a bit more difficult… You’ll need to rotate the engine nacelles to 90-degrees, reduce throttle and bank a bit to scrub off speed. Once below 240 knots, drop gear to increase drag, further reducing airspeed. As you slow to below 100 knots you will develop some buffeting… this is normal as the wings are obviously losing their lift. I find a good controlled decent can be achieved around 60 percent throttle. Goose the throttle a bit before touch-down to soften the landing.

Operational Notes

1.) It is recommended to fly the Osprey in hard-mode only to experience the flight model in it’s highest fidelity. The Ospreys FM is a bit too complex in the vertical flight profile to fly properly in anything other than hard.

2.) Though the Osprey works in all iterations of Thirdwire flight-sims, it performed the best in Wings over Israel. Once the other iterations are patched to WoI standards, this will obviously change.

3.) The real-world Osprey is fly-by-wire… the onboard computer does a lot of the workload that you will need to do to fly the Osprey smoothly and efficiently. Rule of thumb: Use small control inputs while in hover and don’t over correct when it gets squirrelly. If you ham-fist the Osprey it will throw you all over the place.

4.) The cargo doors are opened by whatever key you have mapped to open bomb-bay

5.) The AR Probe (air-refueling) is extended with whatever key you have mapped to extend the arrestor hook.

6.) The engine nacelles are rotated with whatever key you have mapped to control thrust-vectoring.

That’s it… fly have fun and don’t be afraid to critique.

Legal gobble de gook

Everything contained within this package was created me. Nothing within this package can be modified and uploaded as your own work or part of your personal package without express written consent from me. Nothing within this package can be included with any other free or commercial package without my written consent.

David Zurawski - Zurawski@zur-tech.com

www.Zur-TECH.com

Edited by Zurawski

You are going to enjoy this everyone. A challenge to fly for sure.

Can't wait to fly it. Makes as a great Thanksgiving present!

Dude, man you are awesomely awesome dude.

Thanks

OOPS... Consider this an addendum and tips post.

Flight

~ To transition from vertical flight to forward flight, feed forward nacelle "slowly"... get some air flowing over the wings. If you put it in too fast it will pitch you into the ground in a snap.

~If your having a problem coming into a hover/vertical landing to slow... feed a tap of forward nacelle to get a little forward momentum...

~ Game starts with the props clipping into the ground... sorry, it's just a limitation of the game engine.

~ The key you have mapped to open bomb-bay, opens the cargo door... not that there's anything in there... it just looks nice.

... That's it for now... I'll update if I see anything else I managed to forget.

Thanks for the kudos guys! I hope you folks have as much fun with it as Iv'e been!

You bad-A MoFo!

This oughta be a blast between football games and stuffing tomorrow!

Thanks muchly, more to be thankful about!

:good:

Thanks. nice one.

I'm sure the finished product will be everything we hope for.

BTW Zur.

The Osprey must be flown in hard mode. The osprey does some really bizarre things in normal and easy, so don’t even try it…

you sure about this? cause I took her for a ride in normal mod, and she behaved real good.

Had no problem controling her none whatsoever. a real pussycat.

Wonderful work Zur , thanks again.

Thanks. nice one.

I'm sure the finished product will be everything we hope for.

BTW Zur.

you sure about this? cause I took her for a ride in normal mod, and she behaved real good.

Had no problem controling her none whatsoever. a real pussycat.

Wonderful work Zur , thanks again.

Well... let me re-qualify my statement. :wink:

In normal mode the lift developed from thrust is more instantaneous than in hard, which translates into a very short throttle quadrant especially while in hover mode. Also the stall delta is dramatically reduced which means its hard to stall the lift bodies in order to VTOL and hover...

Ultimately Hard mode makes it more predictable.... :biggrin:

i have a lot of probems im normal mode, but in hard is more easy to me fly, and more simple 2

and can somewone give me the loadout with paratroopers?xD

Edited by Silverbolt

i have a lot of probems im normal mode, but in hard is more easy to me fly, and more simple 2

and can somewone give me the loadout with paratroopers?xD

Dude, read the knowledge base and learn how to do these things yourself. Your have alot more fun with the game.

The whole "give me" and "I need help with this now!" stuff is wearing my moderator skin thin.

Dude, read the knowledge base and learn how to do these things yourself. Your have alot more fun with the game.

The whole "give me" and "I need help with this now!" stuff is wearing my moderator skin thin.

hey, im haven problem with my windowns and my Wepeditor wont save or open nothing.

i know the modders work, and i guees, nowone like "gimme gimme".

:wink:

Just took my first flight on the range, as is my wont.

No discrepancies noted. I love the munitions capability added via the loading ramp. Tossed a GBU-15 out and tagged the RADAR at the site.

Did an STOL at the runway at the range, with a solid feel. Takeoff to hover, transitioned nicely to forward flight, and headed home.

The windows in the fuselage rock, I love `em. The skin is nice, but one of the USAF would be better. :biggrin:

As I approached, I started to swivel the nacelles up at waypoint 8, and headed toward 9. Sudden loss of sound indicated engine shut-down. Oh, hell.

The engines would not tilt with no power, so I glided it into, then slightly beyond waypoint 9. Rolled to a stop a couple of miles out, and watched my wingie land.

He had full forward, hit the usual touchdown point, and rolled. And rolled. And went past the End of Runway. Finally applied brakes, with the rotors intersecting the

runway, ground, etc. I am sure this is a limitation of the TW engine, so was cool.

As a transport, I would recommend more fuel, as the current amount is inadequate. Overall, darned nice TurkeyDay fun-flight, and a Sierra Hotel beta!

What I think this rascal needs, in sim and in real life, is a pair of 30mm chain guns on either side, like the 20's on the OV-10 Bronco. It would make an excellent

LZ clearer for a hot insertion.

Now if TK would add an insert troops mission ability, this bugger would be golden.

Great job!

Just took my first flight on the range, as is my wont.

No discrepancies noted. I love the munitions capability added via the loading ramp. Tossed a GBU-15 out and tagged the RADAR at the site.

Did an STOL at the runway at the range, with a solid feel. Takeoff to hover, transitioned nicely to forward flight, and headed home.

The windows in the fuselage rock, I love `em. The skin is nice, but one of the USAF would be better. :biggrin:

As I approached, I started to swivel the nacelles up at waypoint 8, and headed toward 9. Sudden loss of sound indicated engine shut-down. Oh, hell.

The engines would not tilt with no power, so I glided it into, then slightly beyond waypoint 9. Rolled to a stop a couple of miles out, and watched my wingie land.

He had full forward, hit the usual touchdown point, and rolled. And rolled. And went past the End of Runway. Finally applied brakes, with the rotors intersecting the

runway, ground, etc. I am sure this is a limitation of the TW engine, so was cool.

As a transport, I would recommend more fuel, as the current amount is inadequate. Overall, darned nice TurkeyDay fun-flight, and a Sierra Hotel beta!

What I think this rascal needs, in sim and in real life, is a pair of 30mm chain guns on either side, like the 20's on the OV-10 Bronco. It would make an excellent

LZ clearer for a hot insertion.

Now if TK would add an insert troops mission ability, this bugger would be golden.

Great job!

Fuel load is to spec... I argue what this sim needs is in-flight refueling! I've yet to play with fuel usage values... so there's obviously an issue to add to my "to-do" list. Thank-you... :good:

Final release will include paratroopers, various altitude par-drops and a vehicle or two... So at least we can "pretend" we're doing something other than flying around aimlessly. :rolleyes: Final will also include a USAF and USN variant as well... so I got ya covered.

Keep'm coming guys!

Let me know how your handling the the STOL and VTOL capabilities? Because of my practice, I've obviously become "very" proficient at flying this bird... I need to know how everyone else is doing with the new flight regime...

Edited by Zurawski

pretty cool, it seems to me the V-22 loss energy faster than Zur FM.

this is very useful, if you want land on carrier

Well Zur... Tell me what you think :biggrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA3al9fNzUc

"Brilliant"!!!

I find the launch-circuit-land with the Osprey the most fun...

Tip: when approaching the ship use just a tap of forward nacelle to keep pace with the ship... This way you don't have to change pitch attitude to maintain forward airspeed.

Excellent job!

Edited by Zurawski

...it seems to me the V-22 loss energy faster than Zur FM....

It's Zur's FM. :biggrin:

I've just adjusted the throttle controle rate in my taste.

Edited by kreelin

so i have to traine more O.ô

but , how can i loss speed in the more fastest way possible?

evrytime i really have to do extreme pitchs for stop the V-22 :smile:

and one more thing, did you delete the catapult effect on tarawa?

Edited by Silverbolt

Hey ZuR any plans to make a "What if...." Gunship version? it would make a mean close air support bird.... couple of hardpoints under the wings.... makbe even get shut of the cargo bay and make it a weapons / fuel bay... nice flat underside for a couple of internal bays..... and maybe a chin turret..... :good::lol:

Hey ZuR any plans to make a "What if...." Gunship version? it would make a mean close air support bird.... couple of hardpoints under the wings.... makbe even get shut of the cargo bay and make it a weapons / fuel bay... nice flat underside for a couple of internal bays..... and maybe a chin turret..... :good::lol:

Oh I have an attack variant on the back-burner that everyone is just going to love...

:biggrin:

Oh I have an attack variant on the back-burner that everyone is just going to love...

OOOO Show me show me show me!!!!!! sounds very very ACE!!!!!

You reackon you could put it on the....other burner? :good:

I'd give my left and right legs (not my arms, i need those....) to have that MV-22 with a pair of M61's mounted chain gun style on their own little turret under the nose, perhaps one that tracks selected ground targets to the limits of the radar? (Thinking of ways to have a turret like that.....)

Blackhawk

Edited by S-70 Blackhawk

You reckon you could put it on the....other burner? :good:

I'd give my left and right legs (not my arms, i need those....) to have that MV-22 with a pair of M61's mounted chain gun style on their own little turret under the nose, perhaps one that tracks selected ground targets to the limits of the radar? (Thinking of ways to have a turret like that.....)

Blackhawk

Sadly aircraft guns / turrets only track air targets... Game engine limitation rears its ugly head yet again...

Suffice to say, the attack version will be a nightmare for ground forces in it's own right.

Re: Burner... It's moved from the the back to the front. However I'm still stirring the cockpit kettle... so I haven't yet lit the fire. :biggrin: