Sign in to follow this  
Canadair

question about mipmap

FROM THE KNOWLEDGE BASE:

In the flightengine.ini file (in the flightdata.cat) there is something interesting! Under the section for:

[HighDetailOption]

HorizonDistance=75000.0

DetailMeshSize=6

DetailLevel=1

WaterEffect=1

NoiseTexture=1

MaxTextureRes=0 (you will read -1 here)

The last line is the texture resolution aka mipmap LOD setting in the graphic card control panel or any tweak tool. The thing I wondered about is that the stock setting there is -1. That means that the game uses it's own mipmap setting rather than the one I set in RivaTuner. I have set the mipmap LOD to 0, cause a negative value will automatically decrease the fps rate quite a bit.

Even -0,5 is too tough. When you know fly with the max detail settings in SF, you will automatically forced to fly with a mipmap detail of -1. That's a heavy load on the CPU cause the standard setting is always 0! On the ground I had around 25fps, now I have 38 with the mipmap distance to 0 and Vsync on. You can set the mipmap distance in OpenGL but not under D3D, so you need a tweaker. Always wondered, why the fps is so low in the cockpit, now I know why.

It only affects the highest detail settings cause for the lower detail, there are numbers around 265 which is pretty low. Set it to 0 and you can turn on the cockpit mirrors while the game stays smooth and you can use the highest detail in the game! It runs so much smoother now. Don't know why TK decided to use -1 cause there really is almost no viewable difference in the terrain quality. Hope I could help some of you who had notoriously low fps rates. You can even try a positive value like 0,5 which wouldn't look much different either. So there is no need to drop the detail.

-------------------------

My question is: by choosing Customize in the graphid detail options, am I retaining the detail setting for what concerns the MaXtextureRes=0??I.E I choose HIGH, then choose Customize ( and I do customize, for example getting rid of shadows) then the setting maxtextureres=0, will be maintened?

Please answer to me, this has been tormening me for a while

My question is: by choosing Customize in the graphid detail options, am I retaining the detail setting for what concerns the MaXtextureRes=0??I.E I choose HIGH, then choose Customize ( and I do customize, for example getting rid of shadows) then the setting maxtextureres=0, will be maintened?

Please answer to me, this has been tormening me for a while

Whether you enter -1, or leave it at 0, it will still be hard-coded in. Any settings in the graphics portion of the options menu will NOT effect this. Read through the preceding lines of that particular .ini file, and you'll see hard-coded entries for the various graphics levels (low, medium, high).

Whether you enter -1, or leave it at 0, it will still be hard-coded in. Any settings in the graphics portion of the options menu will NOT effect this. Read through the preceding lines of that particular .ini file, and you'll see hard-coded entries for the various graphics levels (low, medium, high).

I figured out that no setting of the graphinc option affects this; so aside from checking in game, how do I know wheter the system is using high, medium or low? For sure by changing to line to read say 512, or 256 I DO get changes in graphinc quailty

Edited by atrdriver

I figured out that no setting of the graphinc option affects this; so aside from checking in game, how do I know wheter the system is using high, medium or low? For sure by changing to line to read say 512, or 256 I DO get changes in graphinc quailty

Yes, as you are then hard-coding the maximum texture size that the game will display. For example, if you have a 2048x2048 skin, and declare 256 as the max res texture, the game will limit the resolution of that bmp down to 256x256.