Sign in to follow this  
Conehead

Mission 9: Landing

Hi all,

I'm a newbie at playing F4:AA but am determined to learn it! I'm on training mission 9: Landing from 10 Nm out on Final and have a quick question. On page 59 of the manual it says "When the landing gear are down, an AOA bracket will appear in the HUD."

Can someone please send me a screenshot pointing the AOA bracket out? I've toggled the landing gear to see the AOA appear and I don't understand what they mean.

Sorry for asking such an elementary question, but I have no shame! Thanks!

To the left of the HUD there is a display with a O with a ^ above and a v below. It lights up in response to your AOA. That's the AOA bracket.

Thank you for your response. The manual also says "You can instantly see the jet's AOA by noting the position of the flight path marker in relation to this bracket in the HUD. The correct angle of attack for an approach is 11 degrees."

How do you adjust the AOA angle to be so accurate as to track, e.g. 11 degrees? I can't see any scale where I can adjust anything to 11 degrees. Can anyone post a screenshot pointing these things out?

To the left of the HUD there is a display with a O with a ^ above and a v below. It lights up in response to your AOA. That's the AOA bracket.

Not quite. Those are the AoA indexer. The bracket is the HUD symbol that appears just left of the centre of the pitch ladder when the gear is lowered.

Conehead, download this LANDING TUTORIAL, it's all you should need to read to achieve consistently good and safe landings.

Edited by Platinum Rogue

Thank you for your response. The manual also says "You can instantly see the jet's AOA by noting the position of the flight path marker in relation to this bracket in the HUD. The correct angle of attack for an approach is 11 degrees."

How do you adjust the AOA angle to be so accurate as to track, e.g. 11 degrees? I can't see any scale where I can adjust anything to 11 degrees. Can anyone post a screenshot pointing these things out?

AOA is controlled by the combination of pitch (how high the nose is pointing) and power (how much thrust the engine is producing). It's like balancing a teeter totter.

Most flight training teaches the student that to land speed is controlled by aircraft pitch and descent rate is controlled by power. If you need to slow down, raise the nose. If you need to speed up, lower the nose. If you need to descend faster, decrease engine thrust. If you are descending too fast increase engine thrust. It sounds bacwards but that is how it works. With a little practise it becomes second nature like breathing.

Edited by drdoyo