Sign in to follow this  
firehawkordy

Final Post On My Father

We received word that my father was committed to the deep on 17OCT07 off the coast of Mexico. The USS CHANCELLORSVILLE's (CG 62) Officers and Crew conducted the burial ceremony. Here are some of the pictures. Thanks to all my friends here at Combat Ace for the kind words of support.

burial013.jpg

burial016.jpg

burial030.jpg

burial044.jpg

burial066.jpg

burial068.jpg

burial069.jpg

Dad was in an urn made of a steel alloy weighing about 120 pounds so he could not be slid off the table. Instead he was placed on a stanchion and pushed over the side in a Monty Pythonesque way. I tend to think he was laughing his a** off at that point, he had that sort of sense of humor.

I showed a civilian friend these pictures, he could not comprehend that most of the participants were volunteers and had never known my dad, all they knew was he was a Sailor and Chief Petty Officer. The Navy takes care of it's own and always will down to a Sailors last wish.

We received word that my father was committed to the deep on 17OCT07 off the coast of Mexico. The USS CHANCELLORSVILLE's (CG 62) Officers and Crew conducted the burial ceremony. Here are some of the pictures. Thanks to all my friends here at Combat Ace for the kind words of support.

[Dad was in an urn made of a steel alloy weighing about 120 pounds so he could not be slid off the table. Instead he was placed on a stanchion and pushed over the side in a Monty Pythonesque way. I tend to think he was laughing his a** off at that point, he had that sort of sense of humor.

I showed a civilian friend these pictures, he could not comprehend that most of the participants were volunteers and had never known my dad, all they knew was he was a Sailor and Chief Petty Officer. The Navy takes care of it's own and always will down to a Sailors last wish.

My heart goes out to you having lost my own dad a while ago. May your father rest in peace.

All respect!

I wish you good luck getting over the pain of your loss. I bet this ceremony was one worth a

true defender of your nation.

Good to see these traditions are still practised.

I wish you well,

Iwan

burial013.jpg

burial016.jpg

burial030.jpg

burial044.jpg

burial066.jpg

burial068.jpg

burial069.jpg

Dad was in an urn made of a steel alloy weighing about 120 pounds so he could not be slid off the table. Instead he was placed on a stanchion and pushed over the side in a Monty Pythonesque way. I tend to think he was laughing his a** off at that point, he had that sort of sense of humor.

Lost my father when he was way too young. He, also was a USN CPO during WWII. My condolences to you and your family. May he rest in peace, a job well done, in the Lord's loving arms.

That cerimony looked very respectful yet it must have been awe-inspiring too.I'm sory for your loss.My father,a former Navy man too,is in the hospital and has been givin a matter of days to live.he wanted a simple cerimony but your fathers must have been a great comfort.I'll keep your father in my prayers as I'm praying for mine.

Guest 531_Ghost

Thank you Firehawkordy. As my Father (MKCS) waits on the mantle for my Mother, when she passes (I'm hoping that won't be for a while) I'll be doing the same in the Mystic River.

~S~

this kind of honor is well deserved!

gives me strong feeling as a soldier myself

<S>

My condolences to you and your loved ones.

May he rest in piece.

<S>

I just wanted to add that we would be honored to hear stories from your father's service

i'm sure he had quite a few...

S!

Thanks for the replies, WhiteKnight I'll keep you and your family in my prayers, may you fathers passing be a gentle one. My dad passed with the most of the family around him so he just went to sleep. I think the hardest part of this whole thing will be writing the letters of thanks to the Ships Company, almost like a postscript to a wonderful story.

Nesher, my dad was better at telling his stories than I could ever hope to be, he loved telling my grandson and son-in-law about port calls in Asia and Japan, and he loved being able to show his photo albums to a whole new audience. This summer I hope to take the two of them to San Diego and show them what he was talking about.