Sign in to follow this  
Major Lee

Elmendorf AFB: What is this structure?

What is this circular installation on the the NW corner of Elmendorf AFB?

(Yes, Elmendorf, disregard the Eielson tags...)

Edited by Major Lee

It looks alomst like a circular array of antennas with a pedistal at the center to hold something for testing purposes.

Hmm...

Worlds largest prize wheel?

tick..tick..tick...tick..tick...... "big prize ..big prize!"

Edited by Zurawski

What is this circular installation on the the NW corner of Elmendorf AFB?

(Yes, Elmendorf, disregard the Eielson tags...)

standard HF DF site

got some very nice photos from Elmendorf today which I'll post as soon as they are released by the PAO guys.

First F-22 intercept of Bears.

Its called the Elephant Cage. Its a series of antennas used to eavesdrop and also what Typhoid said. When my dad was stationed there that was his baby, along with various aspects of the DEW line. He is the real expert on it though.

Its called the Elephant Cage. Its a series of antennas used to eavesdrop and also what Typhoid said. When my dad was stationed there that was his baby, along with various aspects of the DEW line. He is the real expert on it though.

:blink: DEW line? Elephant Cage? Stationed there? Can you get pictures? :clapping: This stuff, as you know, is highly relevant to DBS-2.0... :yes:

Meaning of "HF DF" = ?

I was going to say Death Ray Generator, but Dave beat me to the facts. Dang..... :wink:

:blink: DEW line? Elephant Cage? Stationed there? Can you get pictures? :clapping: This stuff, as you know, is highly relevant to DBS-2.0... :yes:

Meaning of "HF DF" = ?

i've got a few photos in the archives myself. Anything in particular on your shopping list? spent some real "fun" times flying off of boats in the Northwest Pacific.

HF is High Frequency. DF is Direction Finding.

the elephant cage measures the time of arrival of a signal at each element and derives the bearing from that. The various sites are all linked and the bearings can then be used to compute the location. Lots of those around operated by quite a few operators of various political persuasions. The Soviets operated quite a few and linked them with their site in Cuba to get the cross bearing. We have, one or two, around as well......

Yep the old Elephant cage, my Dad used to work with FLR9 back at Misawa AB in the late 60's and through the 70's. That brings back memories, I didn't know they still had those things up, They had one down at Clark AB back when I was stationed there, and I know they had em at Incirlik and Chicksands as well. Who knows MTL we might have hung out at some of the same spots as kids back in the day, FLR9 people were not a large group.

Well, if the Soviets operated them, I will need to include a couple installations in DBS2...

Yep the old Elephant cage, my Dad used to work with FLR9 back at Misawa AB in the late 60's and through the 70's. That brings back memories, I didn't know they still had those things up, They had one down at Clark AB back when I was stationed there, and I know they had em at Incirlik and Chicksands as well. Who knows MTL we might have hung out at some of the same spots as kids back in the day, FLR9 people were not a large group.

flying out of Misawa we were supposed to avoid flying over it since it messed up the signal processing. We weren't always able to comply with the needed hard turn.......

:biggrin:

Well, if the Soviets operated them, I will need to include a couple installations in DBS2...

http://w2.eff.org/Privacy/Foreign_and_loca...nt.overview.txt

http://books.google.com/books?id=_O-lcA50s...P6RfOGcEXAk73q0

http://www.globalsecurity.org/intell/world/russia/sigint.htm

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showflat.php?Ca...amp;Search=true

the last one is Soviet KRUG sites which are the HFDF sites on that side.

DBS-2 is going to be very interesting... :yes:

DBS-2 is going to be very interesting... :yes:

Dad doesn't have any pictures, when you were on site photography wasn't allowed. So he never brought his camera.

But try this website

http://www.lswilson.ca/dewline.htm

Pulls out 'Work in Progress' list...better update that Arctic skin for the Scorpion....

Wrench

kevin stein