Sign in to follow this  
Dark_Knight_667th

More info on the Roll inertia problem

been speaking with Julian data and a few others..as well as doing some reading of my own. Julian confirmed what I have been thinking for a bit.

These following lines in the wing, tail, rudder, etc all affect the roll rate and roll inertia. and will also possibly fix the unwanted roll when yaw (rudder) is applied.

As taken from the F100 D data.ini wing section.

CLa=0.5105-Lift coefficient with aileron applied

CD0=0.0011

CDL=0.0014-coeffiecient drag vs lift

Cmq=-0.1944-this is mass coefficient of some sort..working on full definition

Cmad=0.0170-same with this..something with mass with aileron applied which may be the solution to the roll inertia..

Cyb=-0.0085

Clb=-0.0494

Clp=-0.0434-lift coefficient with elevator applied ( I think)

Clr=0.0164--lift coefficient with rudder applied..this may be the excess roll we see when rudder is applied..

Cnb=-0.1397

Cnp=0.0021

Cnr=-0.0037

I'll break these down in further detail as I learn more.

DK

Guest Sony Tuckson

excellent

thanks guy!

DK

Talk to Column5 he is working with FM's alot and has figured out a good amount of information.

Thanks for your efforts. I have the same roll inertia difficulties when flying the Skyhawk also.

Chief

Roll inertia and rudder induced roll are two completely different subjects. SFP1 has a problem with roll inertia...it does not have a significant problem with rudder roll.

The roll inertia issue is bad FM aerodynamics. The rudder roll issue is exaggerated FM aerodynamics in most cases. In the game, the F-104 exhibits rudder roll, and this is incorrect. But it is correct for the other flyable aircraft. If the game has an exaggeration, it is in that the effect is too noticeable at low AOA.

:D thanks so much for this post.

I have a personal wish which would be that you update and complement your great review at simhq after patch 2 is out. First because we can only hope this patch will change important things in the sim and second because it is certainly important to clarify a few issues which are still not absolutely clear in the community. Like you are doing here.