Does anybody know what happened to the Cyprus campaign? I found about a dozen posts between here, avsim and simhq suggesting that USAFMTL made one at some point but the file seems to be missing.

I meant that USAFMTL is credited with making the Mid East terrain which contains Cyprus, not that he made a campaign, it was Galen Thurber that was thinking of making a campaign. There was discussion about getting the campaign to work and issues around the size of the zip file on Biohaz forums in 2003 but it seems to have vanished since then, does anyone else know if it still exists? And yes i guess i am just too lazy (busy) to learn how to build one myself lol so thank you to all the talented people who do make stuff for everyone to enjoy - Diolch yn fawr

I meant that USAFMTL is credited with making the Mid East terrain which contains Cyprus, not that he made a campaign, it was Galen Thurber that was thinking of making a campaign. There was discussion about getting the campaign to work and issues around the size of the zip file on Biohaz forums in 2003 but it seems to have vanished since then, does anyone else know if it still exists? And yes i guess i am just too lazy (busy) to learn how to build one myself lol so thank you to all the talented people who do make stuff for everyone to enjoy - Diolch yn fawr

Go to www.avsim.com , you have to register.

Search for cyprus1_beta02.zip

" File Description:

Concept and templates for a Cyprus Campaign, awaiting more theatre aircraft in order to complete. see http://www.flightsimhq.org/ for updates."

Or get it now. It's attached to this message.

Go to www.avsim.com , you have to register.

Search for cyprus1_beta02.zip

" File Description:

Concept and templates for a Cyprus Campaign, awaiting more theatre aircraft in order to complete. see http://www.flightsimhq.org/ for updates."

Or get it now. It's attached to this message.

I guess we add the rest of the terrain files from the sfp1 stock dessert or maybe from the mid east terrain, well trial and error will reveal all. Thanks very much for the link, i missed it as when I clicked on it before all that came up was the campaign loading screen jpg. By the way, wyt tin siarad Cymraeg?

I'm really surprised at the number of Welshmen here. I'm from Merthyr, now living in Tampa.

I'm really surprised at the number of Welshmen here. I'm from Merthyr, now living in Tampa.

Duw we could have a cymanfa at this rate bois :rofl:

Ok...got the PM from Mab about the targets, got the so-called "Cyprus Campaign"...and looked them over.

That original thing is unfortunately built around the stock SF desert map...viturally unusable for what's wanted.

The only map even remotely close would be Gepard's Israel 2...but still lacks mainland Turkey. The only thing that may be able to be done, is have Turkish AF bases in Syria or Lebanon.

I can add target areas, with no real problems...but I can't flatten the ground for an airfield. A Master Terrain Guru would be needed for that, I'm just an acolyte!

Which means, of course, the entire campaign ini would need rebuilding from scratch, as NOTHING that exists now is usable.

Wrench

kevin stein

Ok...got the PM from Mab about the targets, got the so-called "Cyprus Campaign"...and looked them over.

That original thing is unfortunately built around the stock SF desert map...viturally unusable for what's wanted.

The only map even remotely close would be Gepard's Israel 2...but still lacks mainland Turkey. The only thing that may be able to be done, is have Turkish AF bases in Syria or Lebanon.

I can add target areas, with no real problems...but I can't flatten the ground for an airfield. A Master Terrain Guru would be needed for that, I'm just an acolyte!

Which means, of course, the entire campaign ini would need rebuilding from scratch, as NOTHING that exists now is usable.

Wrench

kevin stein

Thanks Wrench,

I was going to ditch the historical campaign idea anyway as what I had in mind was a purely "what if" modern scenario i.e. Greece and Turkey go to war now! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUoRxdLx-gM...feature=related there are plenty more videos from Greek/Turkish training sessions on you tubes

Assuming permission is not a problem, what's wrong with using the Mid East map which does have mainland Turkey and some of Greece?

So we may need Master Terrain Gurus hmmm right im packing some Boost bars and 7up for the trek up to their mountain ashram, anyone wanting to join me along the way towards a modern Cypress campaign is more than welcome! :yes:

Thanks Wrench,

I was going to ditch the historical campaign idea anyway as what I had in mind was a purely "what if" modern scenario i.e. Greece and Turkey go to war now! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUoRxdLx-gM...feature=related there are plenty more videos from Greek/Turkish training sessions on you tubes

Assuming permission is not a problem, what's wrong with using the Mid East map which does have mainland Turkey and some of Greece?

So we may need Master Terrain Gurus hmmm right im packing some Boost bars and 7up for the trek up to their mountain ashram, anyone wanting to join me along the way towards a modern Cypress campaign is more than welcome! :yes:

The Mid East map you mention is only 60% size, not full, a hell of a lot of work needs to be done to it. As Wrench mentioned the flattening for the airfields is the most difficult, the positioning of the airfields, targets etc is doable with a lot of patience.

The Mid East map you mention is only 60% size, not full, a hell of a lot of work needs to be done to it. As Wrench mentioned the flattening for the airfields is the most difficult, the positioning of the airfields, targets etc is doable with a lot of patience.

Please forgive my confusion, but does that mean 60% full relative to the size of the Aircraft, groundobjects etc in which case it needs to be scaled up somehow? As and when I learn how such maps are made in the first place, I might consider building a new map of the entire area but for now it seems like the best available option as any Cyprus campaign would need Greece and Turkey as well as the island itself. There is probably a limit to the amount of terrain the game can handle as such I doubt the Germany map is one to one scale relative to the aircraft, I may be wrong but I just "feel" that aircraft take a lot less time traveling over sizeable areas such as Germany or SEA than they should do in reality.

Please forgive my confusion, but does that mean 60% full relative to the size of the Aircraft, groundobjects etc in which case it needs to be scaled up somehow? As and when I learn how such maps are made in the first place, I might consider building a new map of the entire area but for now it seems like the best available option as any Cyprus campaign would need Greece and Turkey as well as the island itself. There is probably a limit to the amount of terrain the game can handle as such I doubt the Germany map is one to one scale relative to the aircraft, I may be wrong but I just "feel" that aircraft take a lot less time traveling over sizeable areas such as Germany or SEA than they should do in reality.

The terrain is 60% normal size, therefore distances are less. Terrain is made with terrain builder software, which takes a lot of patience to learn. I gave up on it.

There are 100% terrains availiable, I think EAWEuro is 100%, but they take a lot of tweaking because the terrain editor produces 60% terrains.

The terrain is 60% normal size, therefore distances are less. Terrain is made with terrain builder software, which takes a lot of patience to learn. I gave up on it.

There are 100% terrains availiable, I think EAWEuro is 100%, but they take a lot of tweaking because the terrain editor produces 60% terrains.

I see, i'm readin the construction tips on Major Lee's aerodrome right now and it says pretty much the same. I wouldn't have any more of a problem playing over a 60% sized mid east than 60% sized Germany or South East Asia. At the end of the day it will be hard to learn terrain creation as it is, so if it's a little harder to learn to use the EAWEuro files, so be it im up for it! However the increase in realism would obviously mean longer time getting from a to b and make fuel consumption especially critical when flying from either mainland to Cyprus and back.

If you're talking about Edwards MTO map (for the easten Med) there's a major problem...

Cyprus is probably on the other side of "The Wall". I can't remember if it's 10 or 50 km inside the map edges that are unsuable -- it may even be more like 100 km. You can add targets on the other side; I did it by mistake on the Darwin map, but you can't get there....you hit this invisible wall that you can't fly through, or around (something about the edges of the Discworld...the Great A'tuin don't want nobody to see him)

If you look at hte planningmaps, and targets ini, there isn't anything over there, east of Greece. We might be able to add stuff in, what is it, Western Anatolia?? and maybe the far west end of Cyprus, but I honestly don't think it would work.

Sorry to through a wet blanket on things... but it really looks like an entire new map would be needed, covering Turkey at least to the Bosporous, parts of Israel/Syria/Lebanon/Jordan, northern Egypt just to get the needed buffer zone for the areas needed.

As to the 60% thingy, it's actualy 63%, or the difference between and mile and kilometer. :wink:

Wrench

kevin stein

If you're talking about Edwards MTO map (for the easten Med) there's a major problem...

Cyprus is probably on the other side of "The Wall". I can't remember if it's 10 or 50 km inside the map edges that are unsuable -- it may even be more like 100 km. You can add targets on the other side; I did it by mistake on the Darwin map, but you can't get there....you hit this invisible wall that you can't fly through, or around (something about the edges of the Discworld...the Great A'tuin don't want nobody to see him)

If you look at hte planningmaps, and targets ini, there isn't anything over there, east of Greece. We might be able to add stuff in, what is it, Western Anatolia?? and maybe the far west end of Cyprus, but I honestly don't think it would work.

Sorry to through a wet blanket on things... but it really looks like an entire new map would be needed, covering Turkey at least to the Bosporous, parts of Israel/Syria/Lebanon/Jordan, northern Egypt just to get the needed buffer zone for the areas needed.

As to the 60% thingy, it's actualy 63%, or the difference between and mile and kilometer. :wink:

Wrench

kevin stein

I hit the "Wall" with the suez2 terrain. Flying south down the nile, I suddenly started to go sideways, I could see the river stretching further south, but I couldn't get further.

Wrench

kevin stein

My most repeated phrase for times like these: "I have a plan, I don't know what it is.. but it is a plan" lol no worries, it will just take a lot of time which I don't have right now but after Xmas work should relax a little then theres a lot of reading up any threads which relate to terrain modding, oh and visiting the Terrain Guru's mountain hideout of course, maybe I should ask the Great A'tuin :crazy:

Guest Saganuay82

It's 80km buffer zone Wrench.

So we need a "Deuce" model soon.....

The "Delta Dagger" was in service with both air forces in SEA camouflage.....

Mau.

So we need a "Deuce" model soon.....

The "Delta Dagger" was in service with both air forces in SEA camouflage.....

Mau.

It would a very nice addition and then just the voodoo to go and we have the whole century series. My schedule is totally crazy until mid January but when i eventually get more than 2 hours free time a day, the terrain is first priority. I am a total novice as all I have ever done is tweak a few ini's to smooth out problems or get things to work differently, nothing major, so anyone with the skills and time to contribute is more than welcome :wink: How about two campaigns, a historic one set in 1974 which would definitely need a Deuce, and a contemporary one set in the near future?

If you're doing a modern campaign by all means use the Cypriot Mi-24 skins included in my Mid-East Hinds pack.

If you're doing a modern campaign by all means use the Cypriot Mi-24 skins included in my Mid-East Hinds pack.

Excellent! I will search for them now, thank you!

Gwyn

"what if" modern scenario i.e. Greece and Turkey go to war now!

You can use as begin of your hypothetical modern story with the Imia Incindent during 1996 (3 dead greek helicopter pilots/crew)

250px-Imia_with_legends.svg.png

The dogfights in Aegean are becoming famous during the last years...the last deadly dogfight was last year (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/5010736.stm).....so in a way both countries are in "war"....(the stupid hotheaded people of one part want to kill the other stupid hotheadeded people of the other side, while the common people of both parts are in the middle)

(Greek Vs Turkish Fighter)

(Turkish Vs Greek Fighter)

(Aegean Vipers)

Well if you need any infos, happy to help you

You can use as begin of your hypothetical modern story with the Imia Incindent during 1996 (3 dead greek helicopter pilots/crew)

250px-Imia_with_legends.svg.png

The dogfights in Aegean are becoming famous during the last years...the last deadly dogfight was last year (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/5010736.stm).....so in a way both countries are in "war"....(the stupid hotheaded people of one part want to kill the other stupid hotheadeded people of the other side, while the common people of both parts are in the middle)

(Greek Vs Turkish Fighter)

(Turkish Vs Greek Fighter)

(Aegean Vipers)

Well if you need any infos, happy to help you

Beautiful vipers video, I really appreciate the offer of help, i will let you know when I am ready to beta test the terrain if you like? Oh and Niiice signature picture :good:

Beautiful vipers video, I really appreciate the offer of help, i will let you know when I am ready to beta test the terrain if you like? Oh and Niiice signature picture :good:

Thanks mate,

When u need any help or you are ready for test send me a pm :yes: