Sign in to follow this  
John

MV-22B Osprey Mod for ground attack

Playing around with Zur-Techs nice MV-22B was a lot of fun but lacked something.... A ground attack capacity likr the ones in Dale Browns novels. Looking at the F-5A I did a rough comparison of weapons locations and thought the locations for the inner wing pylons was close to the gear pods on the V-22. So I copied and transfred that info over to the V-22 and made the apropriate change in the rest of the Data and changed the allowed weapons to just GP,RP and CGR. When loaded the pods rest very conveningly on the top outside edge (just recessed enough to look right) of the Gear pods and behind the leading edge of the wing. The line of fire is just inboard of the prop arc and looks like it was designed this way from square one. And two Bull Pups makes this a bad ass looking bird!

img00001.bmp

img00001.bmp

Edited by John

Playing around with Zur-Techs nice MV-22B was a lot of fun but lacked something.... A ground attack capacity likr the ones in Dale Browns novels. Looking at the F-5A I did a rough comparison of weapons locations and thought the locations for the inner wing pylons was close to the gear pods on the V-22. So I copied and transfred that info over to the V-22 and made the apropriate change in the rest of the Data and changed the allowed weapons to just GP,RP and CGR. When loaded the pods rest very conveningly on the top outside edge (just recessed enough to look right) of the Gear pods and behind the leading edge of the wing. The line of fire is just inboard of the prop arc and looks like it was designed this way from square one. And two Bull Pups makes this a bad ass looking bird!

Having issues uploading the screen shots.

1) convert bmp to jpg, and upload to the Gallery here or

a) to a free picture hosting site -- using those HUGE bmps costs bandwidth...let's try and keep it resonable, please?

2) weren't Bullpups retired in early 1980s????

I'd personally go with Hellfire, to be closer to the Dreamland versions, adding the needed internal laser designator (and possibly in internal bay ala Hammerheads), but that's just me. Also, I seem to remember The Great and Powerful Zur saying he'd be doing a better armed version.

Wrench

kevin stein

I think they used Stingers in Hammerheads. At work now so I can't check on my bookshelf.

Yeah the Pups were retired around 79-80. Yes in Hammer heads they had Hellfires or Stingers with a minigun mounted like a spooky gunship. I know Zur is doing an armed version but this is a stop gap so to speak to inv9olve it in my campaigns.

Yeah the Pups were retired around 79-80. Yes in Hammer heads they had Hellfires or Stingers with a minigun mounted like a spooky gunship. I know Zur is doing an armed version but this is a stop gap so to speak to inv9olve it in my campaigns.

Cool... :good:

I'm all for stop-gap stuff to keep the Osprey's interest peaked...

You guys know my production speed (slow and slower...) I've still got to do the cockpit and stuff before I go fooling around with the AMV-22 Hammerhead!

That said... I have a proof of concept in my garage that is going to blow your minds... :grin:

Let's just say... "Something wicked this way comes"...

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA.... (Zur's maniacal laughter)

Edited by Zurawski

Back in my AFSOC days, the original CV-22 was supposed to be armed with a retractable turret under the fuselage. For reasons unknown to me, it was not implemented. Another concept had the scanner windows armed with miniguns/.50cals like the MH-53s do. Now it appears that only the tail ramp has provisions for a weapon.

Storm