Sign in to follow this  
Rover

TGA Files for new terrain

Hello everybody!!! Can someone tell me how to convert the BMP files in TGA files for build new terrains??? Thanks!!!

Not ever actually having done this, please take this with a grain of salt (meaning I'm not sure if this is how...)

I think you have to add the alpha channel on top and then convert to tga via Photoshop, PSP, Gimp or whathave you.

Similiar to making a decal.

Masking or unmasking the parts you want to show; like a shoreline tile.

Hopefully, someone with more info will chime in with the right answer....

Wrench

kevin stein

Well I decided not to be lazy and share the way I do it :biggrin:

First of all I work in Photoshop, don't know how to do it in other apps, as I never tried it...

So let's say you made a nice shoreline tile for your new terrain/repaint, but now you have to make alpha channel for it...

So once you opened your image in photoshop...

STEP_1.jpg

...on your "Layers" toolbar go to channels and duplicate one of them, I usually choose "the tail end Charlie" as a true virtual fighter pilot and that is Blue channel :biggrin:

After that, selecting only the channel you just created go(on your main toolbar) to Image -> Adjustments -> Threshold...

STEP_2.jpg

A window will pop out, so adjust the image with the slider shown on the picture until you get something similar to the one you can see on the screenshot. It will rarely if ever turn out perfectly so clean it up as needed with the brush...

Now make other RGB channels visible and clean up the image with fine brush tip just to smooth it out and clearly define the shoreline so you don't get bad effects in game:

STEP_3.jpg

End result looks something like this:

STEP_4.jpg

Now that's a nice alpha channel with just a few minutes of work :yes:

In the end just don't forget to save the *.TGA with alpha channels:

STEP_5.jpg

This is how I do it, I hope it can help somebody :biggrin:

Edited by Brain32

Is that 6 or 7?? I remember there being a patch needed for fixing how 7 handles the alpha. I have both, but use 6 exclusively for decals and the like.

I just don't like the menus in 7...

Wrench

kevin stein

This is CS :smile:, and yes those guys always had a habbit of changing menus from version to version lol