Sign in to follow this  
Canadair

two questions abut the a-16

One: is it realistic 800 knots with external tanks at sea lvel? the f-15C makes 680 tops

second; wasn't there a project for an external pod with the avnger gun ? if so it is includd in the weaponpack?

thanks

The gun was never inplimented, due to a vibrations problem. I experimented with it before Dave released it, and he decieded that it wasn't worth the trouble.

Also, no lod was available that didn't hit the nose gear.

Wrench

kevin stein

Yeah the gun for it was worthless, it vibrated so bad they decided to use it for a area denial weapon. But even then it couldn't hit a thing. So as kevin said, it wasn't worth the trouble.

Question on the gun...could we put in a 30mm gun useing the Gun Editor and editing the F/A-16 data.INI?

You're assuming a 30mm gun doesn't already exist in the gundata.ini.

If you've got WOE, the 30mm already exists (I'm pretty sure).

It should be as simple as replacing the A-16 gun entry with the A-10 gun entry (just the type of gun)in the A-16 data.ini file.

FastCargo

Well I ment makeing one that was similar to that used on the A-16. The A-16 was going to have a smaller GAU-8 IIRC.

Question on the gun...could we put in a 30mm gun useing the Gun Editor and editing the F/A-16 data.INI?

Yes you could but....nevermind......disregard...

- According to F-16.net and as dumb as it sounds, the Pave Claw gun pod with a GAU-13/A was used for a short time during Desert Storm by the 174th TFW (N-Y ANG). (source : F-16.net)

- There is a GAU-13/A gun (just the gun, not the gun pod) in Bunyap's latest WP (at least I'm sure it came with it), inaccurate enough (you hardly ever hit what you aim for and even as an area weapon it's not that effective unless you really are unable to drop a cluster bomb within 30m of your target) so you can use it in a SUU-16/A pod as a good placeholder (with the graphical ugliness mentionned by Wrench).

As Wrench and USAFMTL already said, it isn't worth the time spent as it is mostly useless.

Also it suffers from the same problem most gun pods have, meaning that when firing it the nose gear door stutters open and shut.

One: is it realistic 800 knots with external tanks at sea lvel? the f-15C makes 680 tops

second; wasn't there a project for an external pod with the avnger gun ? if so it is includd in the weaponpack?

thanks

If I recall in real life the only thing that ever came close to this at near sea level was the old Thud F-105. I recall reading in Air combat years ago during a Red flag they dropped to ground level and just ran away from the F-16's and 15's with ease. During this they were given the nickname "Land Shark" as the distinctive tail was like shark fin sticking up above tops of some terrain they were masked in.

The Thud was designed primarily as a high speed low level penetration nuke strike bomber with ATA to fight it's way out . It followed the classic fast bomber rules... just like the original Marauder of WW 2 BIG engine BIG gas tank minimal wing! But as always as times changed the aircraft was modified for other roles.

Oh, I know I'm going to regret this in the morning, but I gotta....

What?? Where you been, man, living in a cave???!!!!!??? :rofl:

It was a proposed ground attcak/CAS variant of the Viper. Never produced, except for a couple of 'test of concept' birds.

Check out f16.net, they've got more info.

Now, I can duck and run....

Wrench

kevin stein

yes yes i do live in a cave :) haven't u seen the Gieco comercials? we are up to date with tech but hey its ok..... just had never heard of the A-16 befor and when i tried to find some info came up no joy

Oh, I know I'm going to regret this in the morning, but I gotta....

What?? Where you been, man, living in a cave???!!!!!??? :rofl:

Solid Comedy Gold... Our own little

Carrot_Top.gif

Carrot_Top.gif

What scares me is that I've flown with his brother who is a LtCol in the USAF.

FastCargo

yes yes i do live in a cave :) haven't u seen the Gieco comercials? we are up to date with tech but hey its ok..... just had never heard of the A-16 befor and when i tried to find some info came up no joy

Look for F/A-16 or ue that link Gunnerunner provided.

Or just click this link.

http://www.f-16.net/f-16_versions_article18.html