Sign in to follow this  
sparkomatic

wait a minute...

"and the West isn't respecting agreements (what was the name of the Treaty again) limiting armaments."

- what the heck was he talking about? the Russians stop dismantling their nukes for "security" concerns?

- very curious as to where he heard that the West was in violation?

"and the West isn't respecting agreements (what was the name of the Treaty again) limiting armaments."

- what the heck was he talking about? the Russians stop dismantling their nukes for "security" concerns?

- very curious as to where he heard that the West was in violation?

your lead-in is missing - but I presume you are referring to Putin's statement on their withdrawal from the CFE treaty. He is referring to our withdrawal from the ABM treaty and the proposed stationing of BMD components in the former Warsaw Pact territory (now NATO territory) which is a sore point with Russia.

ah...too bad it is not as simple as "you go ahead and disassemble the nukes like you promised 20 years ago, and we will not need all of this ABM stuff, eh?"

Note he's making a mostly symbolic gesture. When CFE was implemented their conventional forces were far more formidable then they are now. Well, actually they were IDENTICAL to what they are now, just fewer of them. Russia has done little modernizing since the collapse of the USSR.

I mean, the resumption of occasional bomber flights is now big news. It's all political pressure against the US and to show those at home he's not towing the line. Not that it matters much, as this administration has shown it doesn't alter course from foreign opinions.

I mean, the resumption of occasional bomber flights is now big news.

occasional?!!

NATO and NORAD have burn the JP all year intercepting those guys! Its getting to be downright routine!!

:cool:

occasional?!!

NATO and NORAD have burn the JP all year intercepting those guys! Its getting to be downright routine!!

:cool:

Exactly.....

Now, not at the time they started up again.

you lost me there. when do you think they started back up and what gives you the mistaken idea they've stopped?

the lede is full of some of the most utter, contemptible BS I've read. That idiot does not know of what he is writing about.

the others are interesting. The Kuz carrier group is in the North Atlantic now and should be in the Med later this month. I predict the carrier group will be conducting flight ops in or near the Adriatic when Kosovo holds its election for independence.......

- its still neat to see them out and about again

yep! Its giving us a good work out and keeping us sharp. Dusting off all those plans and planes.......

It would be nice if we had some F-15's.........

:wink:

ah...too bad it is not as simple as "you go ahead and disassemble the nukes like you promised 20 years ago, and we will not need all of this ABM stuff, eh?"

...kinda hard to dissassemble ICBMs safely and securely when you have had to pay a large portion of your regular workers with toilet paper and other commodities in the past. When food was scarce and the ecconomy close to collapsing and your leader looking batsh*t crazy (Yeltsin)... taking care of your nukes became less of a priority.

funny...they have no problem restarting their programs...and by the way...the US is the ONLY nuke-country that can not build a new nuke right now...know what that means? so dont "poor me", dude

...kinda hard to dissassemble ICBMs safely and securely when you have had to pay a large portion of your regular workers with toilet paper and other commodities in the past. When food was scarce and the ecconomy close to collapsing and your leader looking batsh*t crazy (Yeltsin)... taking care of your nukes became less of a priority.

you do realize that WE (The American Taxpayers) have been paying the Russians in hard currency to disassemble their nuclear stockpile?

you lost me there. when do you think they started back up and what gives you the mistaken idea they've stopped?

Where did you get the idea I thought they had?

I meant when they first resumed the flights they weren't at the frequency they are now, but the news was all over it when they started, not now that they've actually increased the ops tempo.

Where did you get the idea I thought they had?

I meant when they first resumed the flights they weren't at the frequency they are now, but the news was all over it when they started, not now that they've actually increased the ops tempo.

beats me. Its become routine so no coverage. Kinda like spaceflight - "what, another moon shot? boring..... What else is on?"

but having pictures of CF-18's, F-22's, F-15's, Norweigan F-16's, and RAF Typhoons flying alongside Bears and Blackjacks is really cool.

yep! Its giving us a good work out and keeping us sharp. Dusting off all those plans and planes.......

It would be nice if we had some F-15's.........

Yeah because we sure don't have anything the Navy inventory that can do its mission. They had but they retired them.

What do we need F-15's for when we got F-22's. Whats the Navy going to send? Super Hornets? :biggrin::ok:

Yeah because we sure don't have anything the Navy inventory that can do its mission. They had but they retired them.

What do we need F-15's for when we got F-22's. Whats the Navy going to send? Super Hornets? :biggrin::ok:

grumble grumble......

"Whats the Navy going to send? Super Hornets?" actually, we did! :yes:

but not for Bears or Blackjacks. I'm a NORAD guy now that so I am much more "inclusive."

(sarcasm alert!)

LOL, I work at Patrick AFB and even I miss half the rocket launches! Especially the Delta 2s, they're just not impressive. :biggrin:

"Similar to, but more complex and with more payload capacity than the B-1 Lancer"

More complex? I wouldn't bet on that one. Also, NO ONE calls it the Lancer! Come on, get with the program!