Sign in to follow this  
wingwiner

change SPECULAR and GLOSSINES level of LOD models

I have discovered how to change SPECULAR and GLOSSINES level of LOD models for Thirdwire.

If you wanna to make any mat model to be glossines and more stylish, and you have ONLY a *.lod output file, it is very easy way to do it ! Use any Hex editor - for example Hackman ( http://www.technologismiki.com/prod.php?id=31 ) and edit a lod file with this app. And follow : switch display mode to Hex&ASCI, and find a ASCI 'bmp' word, and it will be a material name shown on results. Next you must change all values as on the sample image attached below. If anyone wants to have more specular settings, post me at this forum message. View the image attached !

post-14324-1197324895_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

That's actually pretty useful.

I keep thinking it would make Pasko's 'Mig-17PFU radar nose' look a lot better if you could up the gloss/specular to match what it's 'attached' to.

FastCargo

That's actually pretty useful.

I keep thinking it would make Pasko's 'Mig-17PFU radar nose' look a lot better if you could up the gloss/specular to match what it's 'attached' to.

FastCargo

On this image is screenshot from Hex Editor, and its only sample values. And its very easy for single material models, such as weapons or vehicles. If you want to change specular level ONLY of aircraft nose it will be difficult, I suppose. The most important - look the bitmap name in ASCI, and find range to highlighted cells - there is specular/gloss setting.

On this image is screenshot from Hex Editor, and its only sample values. And its very easy for single material models, such as weapons or vehicles. If you want to change specular level ONLY of aircraft nose it will be difficult, I suppose. The most important - look the bitmap name in ASCI, and find range to highlighted cells - there is specular/gloss setting.

Heh, slight misunderstanding my friend. The 'MiG-17 PFU radar nose' is not a PART of a aircraft LOD. It is a LOD file that's part of the weaponspack and is considered a pod. I wouldn't be trying to change part of a LOD file.

But good info nonetheless...thanks.

FastCargo

Heh, slight misunderstanding my friend. The 'MiG-17 PFU radar nose' is not a PART of a aircraft LOD. It is a LOD file that's part of the weaponspack and is considered a pod. I wouldn't be trying to change part of a LOD file.

But good info nonetheless...thanks.

FastCargo

That was the first use of this that came to mind too.once the PFU nose is shined up it will make the whole aircraft look better.

Wait, so if you have specific LOD models for distance, like aircraft that have 3 LOD's for different distances, does this mean you can make the further LOD's shine brighter then normal, making them easier to spot?

Wait, so if you have specific LOD models for distance, like aircraft that have 3 LOD's for different distances, does this mean you can make the further LOD's shine brighter then normal, making them easier to spot?

WOW!!!!!

Maybe not shine brighter in general, but shine brighter in cases of the direct sunlight reflection.

That would be amazing stuff. Now the problem is getting a small aircraft LOD visible to 100km to represent sun reflection. I've taught photographers how to catch the brief sunlight spark off a jetliner about 100km distant passing above the setting sun. The oldest timer hardcore nature photographers never knew this effect existed.

Exactly what I was searching for to change that in the Nesher model (well, I still have to figure out which entry is the nose, and which value is used on the rest of the plane, but that should be easy now that I know what I'm looking for) and make it a placeholder Mirage 5F (until the release of the TMF one), now if only I knew how to delete the belly pylons (without crashing the game or making a nice rendition of Wonder Woman's jet).

OR... I can stop being a dimwit and use the Mirage5D LOD instead as it already has a nose with the same specular/gloss all over...

Edited by Gunrunner

The limiting factor in regards to seeing anything at a "vitual" distance is still pixel size. It is physically impossible to render anything smaller than 1 pixel. If you can arrange an HDR-bloom effect that renders on the order of 5X virtual size at a distance, then that would solve that issue.

Right, TK does not use Dots for very long distance viewing. Zooming in field of view does allow longer range viewing of LODs without long range dots. Maybe someday The Sims developers will make dynamic dots that model sunlight reflection off flat surfaces at very long distances.

I attempted to try this hex thing with PF nose, fiddled with some numbers that seem to correspond to the bmp thing, but it didn't take. I don't know what I'm doing with this.

If someone finds it out please release it!! But how does Mirage Factory creates those nice metal effect on their Mig-21 F13???

Wow, this method really works, and I even managed to do it right, being first time in the HEX editor:)

Does anyone know the code to make specular and glossiness higher? Say, by 50-100% compared to Wingwiner's values?