Sign in to follow this  
Dagger

radar in campain..won't lock a target..

I just started a campain and radar won't lock....and I tried from 2 nm to .5nm,nothing.is it just me?

ok I figured it out...I switched from search to boresight and it worked fine..maybe I was just at a bad angle.

I have no problem locking except when trying to lock targets at over 25nm. I feel this is pretty realistic since the further out you scan the more interference you get. Try setting to 25nm then select a target and then Aquire. A lot of people forget to hit aquire once they have a target slaved. Borsight slaves and aquires automatically, thats why it seems easy, but borsight has a limited range.

Insert aquires the target and locks it...I'm still having trouble in search mode in campain..boresight works fine and I'm waiting until target is less than 2 to 3 miles to try to lock them up....I even set the realism back alittle so I could tell for sure it was locked.Search no lock..boresight lock.

2-3 nm is way to close. That is sidewinder range. Borsight locks at arounf 10 miles. Keep in mind to gain a good radar return on a contact with this radar system you must be in a pretty level attitude, nose level with the target. If you are below the target say cruising at 10k and your target is at 20k, its going to be hard to lock him up. Contact your FAC and get a vector and altitude of your target and match the same altitude then try to lock. Nose down will not work either, too much ground clutter. Nose high is difficult as well and most of my Sparrow misses come from a nose high attitude.

Personally having real world experience with radar systems I think SF is very well down. Getting a good radar return and lock is not a automatic thing in the real world, and its not so either in SF. Use your FAC (AWAC) for info in conjunction with your radar.

9 times out of 10 you are better off using borsight anyway, but just keep in mind you dont have much time in borsight because of the closier rate.

Your best bet for long range is 25nm setting and pointed dead at the contact.

I'm sorry didn't make it to clear....But I've been tring to get a lock as soon as I get a boogie call,and continue until as close as 2nm. I'm still working on it.Maybe I'm just trying to hard. :D

Well, It's not easy in hard mode. Keep trying bud, you will nail it .