Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Your Favorite Real Aircraft and Why?

Subject says it all.......

You know, I hate this topics but can't help but post in them.

F-15 Eagle. Why? Well I grew up next to Otis ANG Base and 22 F-15As and 2 F-15Bs of the 102nd FW's 101st FS took home there. When I first saw and heard them it was love at first sight. Plus with a kill ratio like that...

Edited by JA 37 Viggen

Subject says it all.......

Since I've never flown a real jet (other than commercially)my only point of reference is the planes available in the Third Wire series. After careful consideration I keep coming back to the Thud, the F-105.

I love the no frills cockpit before everything in the world went digital. Decent payload, good looks (now retro), and killer acceleration and speed. I know it's not the most manuverable plane, but I love pushing the throttle up and getting the hell out of Dodge. Plus, with all that's been written about it, I can appreciate the history that goes along with the a/c.

Time and again, in both WOV and WOE I find myself flying a strike mission in the Thud. Easily my favorite aircraft.

Edited by tank03

To me, if depends on what era your pointing to..WW2? Korea? Nam? Modern??

Broken down by the above criteria,

P-51D

F-86

F-4

F-15

All time, single favorite, would have to be Phantom.

Wrench

kevin stein

Light Weight Fighter

F-5 Freedom Fighter - Small sleek and agile. Decent armament.

Runner Ups

FJ-3 Fury

G.91 Gina

The 'Gossamer Albatross.' Some people decided to take some straw and Saran Wrap and build an airplane that could be pedal-powered across the English Channel. The guy trained to fly the plane was so depleted halfway through the Channel flight that he started hallucinating. He was just inches off the water at the time. Still, refusing to give up, he sucked it up, pedalled the plane all the way to the French coastline, and landed safely.

It kind of redefined the term "powered flight" for me.

Although I'm torn between the SPAD XIII and the F-4 Phantom, I'd have to say the SPAD.

Lots of firepower, efficient, fast, maneuverable, and sexy. What's not to love?

EDIT: After much consideration, close seconds include:

F-106 Delta Dart

F-4 Phantom II

Supermarine Spitfire

F-14 Tomcat

Curtiss JN-4 Jenny

DC-3

Edited by Longestpants

I like them all (except for a select few I won't mention :no: ), but if I had to single out one, it would be... the Tomcat.

I fell in love with them at my very first airshow, highly manuverable, long range, lots of fancy gizmos on board, and best of all, good looking!

They've been the true protectors of the fleet for over thirty years... too bad they couldn't make it to fourty.

F-16 Fighting Falcon, it deserves way more props than it earns because of the ingenuity that went into designing it. Fly-by-wire? Reclined pilot seat? Customizable cockpit? Who'd a thunk it?

Su-30MKI..long range, TVC nozzles, weps carrying capability....its the Indian Strike Eagle.

Edited by ghostrider883

1,Prop=Hurricane

2,Jet Early=Lightning Fmk6

3,Jet Modern=Harrier GR7

All time fave...Lightning Fmk6

Edited by russouk2004

To me, if depends on what era your pointing to..WW2? Korea? Nam? Modern??

Broken down by the above criteria,

P-51D

F-86

F-4

F-15

All time, single favorite, would have to be Phantom.

Wrench

kevin stein

My sentiments exactly.

Though the F4U Corsair gives the P-51D a good run for my favorite WW2 aircraft.

WWI: Sopwith Camel

Between the wars: hard to say, P-26 Peashooter maybe?

But this list has only fighters.

If there is any 1 aircraft I might actually love as much or more than all of the above, it is the B-17 Flying Fortress.

The why for all of those is quite subjective: I simply love the way these aircraft look, love their history, too.

I happened to grow up with F-4s and UH-1s flying overhead, so I am partial to those two aircraft.

Edited by streakeagle

MIG-21 Bis-SAU Fishbed N, MIG-25 PD, SU-15, SU-27, SU-30 MKI,Lightning, F-15, F-16I,Avro Arrow, F-14, A-10, SU-25..etc, etc :biggrin::ok:

All time favourite MIG-21bis Fishbed L :good:

Edited by Atreides

Tomcat!

no special meaning, i think i born dreaming in fly on a Tomcat

F-86 Sabre (Like you could not have guessed?)

To me the Sabre is the automotive equivalent of the Boss Mustang... Sleek, low slung, it just has that appearance of being coiled and ready to sink its teeth on your ass...

Aesthetics aside... to me it's the first... and some would argue the last of the pure dog fighters.

WWII: P-51, Me-262. The Mustang is probably the best fighter of all time, while the 262 ushered in a new chapter in the book of combat aviation.

Cold War: F-8, MiG 21. Fell in love w/ the Crusador after watching a documentary titled "The Last Dogfighter." The Fishbed for it's pure beauty, raw speed, and deadliness in the hands of a skilled pilot.

Modern: F-16. A light weight versatile jet that can do it all: SEAD, strike missions, CAP/TARCAP/HAVCAP, can even hold it's own in a dogfight w/ the big boys

Yeah, the MiG-21F-13C FishBed, and the MiG-29. Both are beautiful birds

The Viper. Without a doubt the most beautiful yet high-performance aircraft ever built.

I have a soft spot for the Raptor as well, after seeing it at Oceana this year with more vapor than I've ever seen on any other aircraft.

My faves share a common theme -- interceptors higher, faster, further, at a time when different aircraft actually looked different from each other.

Siemens Shuckert DIII

MiG-3

F-106

...after that, military aviation round the world was forever cancelled in favour of Big Missile by the McNamara-Krushchev-Sandys alliance.

It's very difficult say waht is my favorite plane, uhummm phantom II because i see it when a was a child, it looks like a seagull and a crow