Sign in to follow this  
mejay855

Sidewinder lock w/F100

In the early WOE scenerios I can't get the sidewinder to lock from my F100 as it has no radar. I have even pull up close to within .3 miles of a bandit and the missile won't lock manually either. I wind up using guns and the sidewiders just come along for eye candy and drag (aerodynamic of course) queens!

Sidewinders dont lock by radar, but a heat source

And that is the funny sound you hear, when you are selecting the sidewinder. When the sound begins to squeles you have lock on a heat source of some kind. But those early types are easily fooled and cant make High G turns.

In the early WOE scenerios I can't get the sidewinder to lock from my F100 as it has no radar. I have even pull up close to within .3 miles of a bandit and the missile won't lock manually either. I wind up using guns and the sidewiders just come along for eye candy and drag (aerodynamic of course) queens!

You will only get a lock on the rear of a jet because it needs a good heat source to lock onto (ie the engine exhaust). When the growl tone changes then it is locked and you can fire . If you are using AIM-9B's then expect 1 hit out of every 4 you fire - and if the enemy jet is turning then forget it because they wont follow it. Also make sure you are not pulling any G's when you fire it if poss.

You should try an AIM-9L in the 1979 campaign to see how progress was made - and there is a mod you can download from here that makes the growl change more distinctive.

ps - The AIM-4s are even worse then the AIM-9B!!

Agree with all the above. Sometimes you can get a lock better by pulling the nose up slightly but you still have to be within launch parameters...which are limited for the 9B.

Good points all...

People sometimes forget that real weapons employment isn't 'point and shoot'...especially early models of the 'winder....

FastCargo

Once, when I was just playing around with weapon data to see how things worked, I set an AIM-9 to be perfect. 100% lock-on, 30G manuvering, 360 aspect, etc. When I tried using it in game I shot down my whole flight because the missile would swing around and strike the A/C in my formation. I quiclky went back to the original settings; it was better to miss the enemy than hit a friendly.

Once, when I was just playing around with weapon data to see how things worked, I set an AIM-9 to be perfect. 100% lock-on, 30G manuvering, 360 aspect, etc. When I tried using it in game I shot down my whole flight because the missile would swing around and strike the A/C in my formation. I quiclky went back to the original settings; it was better to miss the enemy than hit a friendly.

Hahahaha! I always wondered what would happen if you tweaked the entries like that...

I'm surprised no one commented on my 'backward firing' Sidewinder experiment from a few months ago....

FastCargo

Hahahaha! I always wondered what would happen if you tweaked the entries like that...

I'm surprised no one commented on my 'backward firing' Sidewinder experiment from a few months ago....

FastCargo

Regarding that...I set it up on an F-16 and it killed my second flight's leader instead of the Flogger on my tail!

The stock AIM-4B has a high Arming Time value ( its 2.7 sec. IIRC) which doesnt fit in with the given min range ...

The missile works but only if fired if the target is close to the missiles max range

Change Arming Time to 0.6 sec and its much better

Is it possible to uncage a sidewinder in WOE?

Using the Weapon Editor one of the AIM-9 options is "Seeker Uncage" so it would seem a possibility.

FastCargo

Hey I was wondering if you can make a python missile. The modern one made by rafal. It is shot in front pulls up and then locks on to any target that is within a perscribed distance from the launche craft. It has ifr and can be used regularly also. The Israelis use it on fighters but it works great for bombers that can't manuver. Sorry if this post is a little late :dntknw:

Hey I was wondering if you can make a python missile. The modern one made by rafal. It is shot in front pulls up and then locks on to any target that is within a perscribed distance from the launche craft. It has ifr and can be used regularly also. The Israelis use it on fighters but it works great for bombers that can't manuver. Sorry if this post is a little late :dntknw:

We have a Python 4 and I think a Python 5. Not sure about the Derby though...