Sign in to follow this  
FastCargo

Just a little plane I've flown once or twice...(pictures)

Hey guys,

First aircraft project of which some of you have seen teasers.

Don't get TOO excited...I expect to be at release by Christmas...2008.

So don't ask for updates either! :biggrin:

On to the screenshots!

Debating if I'm going to implement this...moveable canopies. Tested here as airspeed dependent. (Aircraft is not ground stable yet...that's why the wierd angle). I may just leave the animation in place and let end users put in the ini entries.

gallery_12105_43_265210.jpg

You will be able to see the engine faces but barely for the A model...which is true in real life. The C model will be easier to see. Will probably not make spinning blades. The real aircraft has stator vanes at the front that mask most of the spinning parts.

gallery_12105_43_843545.jpg

Classic lines...ignore the decal. I'm using the F-5A as a basis for testing...using the layouts to get an idea on how to skin, decal, etc.

gallery_12105_43_807109.jpg

gallery_12105_43_891508.jpg

Has animated nozzles...just have to tweak the ini entries a bit.

gallery_12105_43_260105.jpg

gallery_12105_43_210830.jpg

Has decent detail on the landing gear, and full animation, including shock struts and nose wheel steering.

gallery_12105_43_85558.jpg

The model is sitting at just under 22000 polygons. My goal is under 25k for the entire external model. If it starts cresting that, I'll start taking out some detail. Still have to put on little bits (antennas, pitot tube, etc) plus figure out how much to put in the cockpit area. I've run into a snag already with the 'bubble' that sits around the cockpit viewpoint, which cuts out some stuff I wanted people to see...plus makes a 'rear cockpit' view harder to implement.

That's it for now...I'm taking a break!

FastCargo

Nice one! I like the detail of airbrakes and gear. :ok:

(Aircraft is not ground stable yet...that's why the wierd angle).

Uh, i know what you mean. Before you can take off with a new model, you crash more than hundred times while landing. :haha:

again, very beautifull :smile: :smile:

let me ask.... is there any difference between F-5B and T-38(structural)?

Guest capun

FC

Nice model for your first plane :)

Here's some ideas/questions for you

- Cockpit animation: You can set it as manual, using the feature that TK added per the community request

- Ground Angle: Is the plane just sitting stable but with an odd angle? If yes check the radius of the tires, be sure that the 3DS Max Viewport measurement and the internal properties match. Remember the RESET XFORM.

If the plane does not sit still and tends to flip forward or backwards, check the CGPosition in the data ini, it is usually the Y-Axis number that needs to be tweaked. Positive numbers raises the tail up.

let me ask.... is there any difference between F-5B and T-38(structural)?

Yes there is!! Most prominent difference is the intakes which are curved on T-38 and straight on an F-5B

Thanks for the comments so far guys.

For capun, I knew I could set the canopy animation as manual, just I didn't have a template ini entry to build from. I don't know which aircraft I have that have a manual opening canopy...so the airspeed solution was a 'quick and dirty' way to test it.

As far as ground stability goes, the symptom was that the aircraft would simply crash anytime it touched the ground. While trying to figure out why my ailerons and elevators wouldn't move but my rudder would, I discovered (slightly embarassed cough) that the TW series doesn't like mesh names with spaces in them...which includes anything involving the gear.

So after getting rid of some 'spaces':

gallery_12105_43_360077.jpg

Perfectly stable...will make testing easier! Plus I now have tested my shock animations...woohoo!

For Julhelm, here ya go:

gallery_12105_43_108659.jpg

gallery_12105_43_7475.jpg

gallery_12105_43_179376.jpg

I haven't optimized some of the meshes (the engine box and fuselage). Also, the wheels were built out of spheres, so they are pretty poly heavy.

Some of the optimizations have had wierd results, so I'm waiting until later to tweak them a bit.

I hadn't planned on getting the model into game quite so quickly, but I realized before I started texturing that I needed to check all the animations and getting into game quickly was the only way to reliably check that.

Plus, it's been a BIG motivator to actually see it flying around...

The F-5B and T-38A are superficially similar...hell, even the offical USAF website is using the wrong 3-view diagram for the T-38 (it's an F-5B).

They differ (externally) in the following:

F-5B has square cut intakes...the T-38As are bent down.

F-5B has small LERXs, the T-38A has none.

F-5B has leading edge flaps...the T-38A does not.

F-5B has more robust landing gear (it could take off from grass)...no way a T-38A could do that.

There are some internal differences as well...but those are the biggies.

FastCargo

Guest capun

FC

Here's an example of a cockpit opening, it was changed from the old style to a manual opening/closing

[Canopy]

// SystemType=HIGHLIFT_DEVICE

// DeploymentMethod=AUTOMATIC_SPEED

// Setting[1].Angle=30.0

// Setting[1].DeployValue=0.0

// Setting[1].RetractValue=25.0

// MaxDeflection=30.0

// MinDeflection=0.0

// ControlRate=0.50

// AnimationID=5

SystemType=ANIMATION

InputName=ANIMATION_5 <- This key may need to be set in the Controller Customization panel. FE is preset but I think SPF1 is not

AnimationTime=3.0 <- Time to open/close

AnimationID=5 <- This is the animationID slot for the canopy opening in 3DS Max.

In my SFP1 install I have set the Animation keys to <CTRL>1 to <CTRL>0 to activate animations 1 through 10.

In this case when I press <CTRL>5 the canopy opens/closes. I think it works better since sometimes you can see the canopy opening with the old style, like on High AOA, almost stalling situations.

:good::ok::clapping: This looks greeeeaaaat!!!! tremendous amount of work you done here.

WOOHOO! Talon!

You mentioned both a T-38A and T-38C model. Is there also going to be an AT-38?

Also on Wikipedia is that a T-38 or F-5B three-view?

Beauuuuutyyyy.... I see a smurf!

Are you sure that's not too many polys...? Looks a tiny bit inefficient. Beautiful though.

Can't wait to see some skins.

Yea, as I said, I haven't optimized some of the parts yet. And I REALLY would hate giving up some of the curves that highlight the lines of the aircraft. It runs fine on my rig...but I have a pretty decent system.

The 3 view diagram on Wikipedia is wrong. That's an F-5B (and a badly drawn one).

The plan is to release the T-38A, AT-38B, and T-38C, all with working cockpits, proper weapon pylons (AT-38B) and specific weapon racks/luggage pods.

Also, I plan to release the skin templates for all varients.

I MIGHT do the F-5B as well, because most of the changes would only take minor tweaks to the max file.

Note I say MIGHT.

And this is a BIG maybe...I want to release a rear cockpit option, so you can see what I see. It depends how much trouble I have with the cockpit and trying to integrate it.

This is why the scheduled release date is a YEAR from now.

FastCargo

I haven't optimized some of the meshes (the engine box and fuselage). Also, the wheels were built out of spheres, so they are pretty poly heavy.

Some of the optimizations have had wierd results, so I'm waiting until later to tweak them a bit.

I hadn't planned on getting the model into game quite so quickly, but I realized before I started texturing that I needed to check all the animations and getting into game quickly was the only way to reliably check that.

Plus, it's been a BIG motivator to actually see it flying around...

The F-5B and T-38A are superficially similar...hell, even the offical USAF website is using the wrong 3-view diagram for the T-38 (it's an F-5B).

They differ (externally) in the following:

F-5B has square cut intakes...the T-38As are bent down.

F-5B has small LERXs, the T-38A has none.

F-5B has leading edge flaps...the T-38A does not.

F-5B has more robust landing gear (it could take off from grass)...no way a T-38A could do that.

There are some internal differences as well...but those are the biggies.

FastCargo

Got some hours in this puppy too and I might add to FastCargo's difference list that the F-5B has hard points for pylons under the wings (2 per wing I think), a center fuselage hardpoint, and on the mounting points on the wingtips (usually fuel tanks); the T-38 can carry only a fuselage centerline pod (non-fuel) and the entire fleet was not modified to carry even that.

The T-38As assigned to Beale AFB are all painted a gloss black with red low vis decals (BB on the tail) and are sweet looking. Actually I think they are a might bit faster than the white ones?!!?

You might ask why station T-38s at Beale (U-2S and Global Hawk base) and the answer is that all of the real U-2s are deployed keeping an eye on the bad guys and the pilots at home have to fly something to keep proficiency. The U-2 pilots are all dual qualified in both aircraft.

Looking great, Fastcargo. Keep up the good work, I just read the Squad-signal book on the T-38, so this is great timing.

Lookin' good FC.

Couple of options for canopy and back seat pit.

For the canopy, you could leave it operated by speed and set:

DeployWhenOnGears=TRUE

so that you don't get canopy opening in air at low speed.

as for the back seat, one option I pondered was a seperate version that uses just the back seat;

such as T-38A(frnt)

T-38A(bck)

I don't think TK has implemented multiple cockpit positions yet, but you could ask him.

The T-38As assigned to Beale AFB are all painted a gloss black with red low vis decals (BB on the tail) and are sweet looking. Actually I think they are a might bit faster than the white ones?!!?

You might ask why station T-38s at Beale (U-2S and Global Hawk base) and the answer is that all of the real U-2s are deployed keeping an eye on the bad guys and the pilots at home have to fly something to keep proficiency. The U-2 pilots are all dual qualified in both aircraft.

What, you mean like this?

usafaflybylq5.jpg

Beale was my last active duty assignment back in 1999-2001. Man, if they made the T-38 instructor pilot a reserve job at Beale AFB, I might have never left...flying 38s in ACC is WAY more fun than AETC!

Jug, if you're a grad of the Colorado School for Wayward Boys, you're probably interested in this photo and how it came about.

I'm a 1990 grad, and for my 10 year reunion (Oct 2000), I decided to take a 2 ship up to C Springs and do a flyby for the football game. So, right after we fly over the stadium, I send my wingie out to route, pass the jet to my front seater, and start snapping shots.

This was one of the best ones.

That was a blast of a reunion. Interestingly enough, Class of 1980 was having their 20 year at the same time, so it was interesting comparing stories of then and now. Appearantly, a lot of them couldn't make the 10 year because of Desert Storm deployments...so there was a lot of interest in making the 20 year for them.

Beale was a blast...even got to play in the spacesuit in the chamber (I was a T-38 only guy...no Deuces for me). Interesting watching a beaker of water boil right next to you...then playing 'Michelin Man' trying to reach the ejection handle...

FastCargo

"See what I see?" What are you, Flight Instructor or Bone pilot??

T-38C instructor pilot (and Airbus A300/310 pilot) right now.

I used to be a Bone pilot back in the day.

FastCargo

Lookin' good FC.

Couple of options for canopy and back seat pit.

For the canopy, you could leave it operated by speed and set:

DeployWhenOnGears=TRUE

so that you don't get canopy opening in air at low speed.

as for the back seat, one option I pondered was a seperate version that uses just the back seat;

such as T-38A(frnt)

T-38A(bck)

I don't think TK has implemented multiple cockpit positions yet, but you could ask him.

I think I'll go with the full manual option. I've never liked the 'open and close' at a certain speed, even on the ground. I'd rather let the pilot have full control. Too bad there isn't a 'you dummy, you just lost your canopy' parameter for those who want a convertible. :)

As far as the 'front seat, back seat' option that was the plan...seperate models for either seat. Either that, or just make a separate cockpit and inis and let the user install them at their option.

Most of this is a big maybe...I still have a LOT of work to do just to get the external model to look right.

FastCargo

What, you mean like this?

Beale was my last active duty assignment back in 1999-2001. Man, if they made the T-38 instructor pilot a reserve job at Beale AFB, I might have never left...flying 38s in ACC is WAY more fun than AETC!

Jug, if you're a grad of the Colorado School for Wayward Boys, you're probably interested in this photo and how it came about.

I'm a 1990 grad, and for my 10 year reunion (Oct 2000), I decided to take a 2 ship up to C Springs and do a flyby for the football game. So, right after we fly over the stadium, I send my wingie out to route, pass the jet to my front seater, and start snapping shots.

This was one of the best ones.

That was a blast of a reunion. Interestingly enough, Class of 1980 was having their 20 year at the same time, so it was interesting comparing stories of then and now. Appearantly, a lot of them couldn't make the 10 year because of Desert Storm deployments...so there was a lot of interest in making the 20 year for them.

Beale was a blast...even got to play in the spacesuit in the chamber (I was a T-38 only guy...no Deuces for me). Interesting watching a beaker of water boil right next to you...then playing 'Michelin Man' trying to reach the ejection handle...

FastCargo

Academy! I live right across "the I," I can see it from here. I'm applying, chances aren't the best, but that's what everyone faces, I guess. No doubt I'll be part of the 80 ish percent that are rejected. Trying for ROTC too, there's so many possibilities for me right now, not all military.

Okay, FC... that's lookin great.

When you are ready to beta test I am your man. Maybe a little multiplayer two ship formation practice in Eastern Europe...