Sign in to follow this  
USAAF2

Project help needed: 3DS trial version and 3rd wire exporter

Hello everyone,

I have been working on a small project of my own and have completed the 3d model in the free 30-day trial version currently available on the Autodesk website. The problem that I am having is with the Third Wire exporter, every time that I try to export the .lod model it crashes 3d studio max. I am thinking that the exporter is simply incompatible with this version of the program, otherwise what could I be doing wrong? I am still pretty basic at this, so any helpful tips would be appreciated so I can complete and submit this project. Thanks in advance.

I assume the version is max9?....Im not saying ur incapable....lol...but you have the plugin and exporter set up properly...the exporter should work with the demo version...im sure it isnt disabled in anyway apart from the 30 day limit.?

Russ

I assume the version is max9?....Im not saying ur incapable....lol...but you have the plugin and exporter set up properly...the exporter should work with the demo version...im sure it isnt disabled in anyway apart from the 30 day limit.?

Russ

The trial was the 2008 version (10), and the exporter is meant for version 9. I think I just shot myself in the foot trying to use the latest version, so I should probably download a 3dsmax9 trial version or have somebody else make the .lod.

My question now is there any difference in the programs that would prevent a max10 file from being read properly in max9? Or does anybody want to export it for me and send it back to me? lol, I knew I would make some kind of silly mistake.

Guest capun

Don't know about 3DS Max 2008 but in the past you could not read a Max file done in a later revision. All the Max files were upwards compatible (newer versions could read Max files made with older Max version) but not downwards compatible.

One thing to do is get the FBX importer/exporter for each version of Max, the FBX file format seems to be a much better way to transport files across Max versions and other 3D Programs, it gets rid of some of the limitations of the 3ds file format.

You should find the FBX download at Discreet/Autodesk site

BTW, just nitpicking. I don't think it is Max10, IMHO is just a small revision so they can charge money for an update and it is not a major revision that warrants a new Max Rev number. Again it's pure speculation on my part :)

Don't know about 3DS Max 2008 but in the past you could not read a Max file done in a later revision. All the Max files were upwards compatible (newer versions could read Max files made with older Max version) but not downwards compatible.

One thing to do is get the FBX importer/exporter for each version of Max, the FBX file format seems to be a much better way to transport files across Max versions and other 3D Programs, it gets rid of some of the limitations of the 3ds file format.

You should find the FBX download at Discreet/Autodesk site

BTW, just nitpicking. I don't think it is Max10, IMHO is just a small revision so they can charge money for an update and it is not a major revision that warrants a new Max Rev number. Again it's pure speculation on my part :)

Thanks for the help, I suppose I'll go the FBX route and try to get it into a trial of Max9 that way. I didn't quite know what the 2008 version should be referred to as, so I just said max10. :-)

Okay, I got the model into a trial of Max 9 using the FBX utility and installed the Third Wire exporter in that version of the program. The problem is that I still experience a crash of 3D studio when attempting to export in .lod format.

Can somebody walk me through the steps that are needed to make a model ready for the final move to .lod format? Also, even if it isn't responsible for this, I would also appreciate a good explanation of how to best assign the hierarchy to the different meshes of the model.

Edit: It is apparently a problem with my model, as I just made a test cylinder shape and exported it without issue.

Thanks everyone.

Edited by USAAF2

Okay, though possibly unrelated, I think I overcame some hierarchy problems using 3D studio's help files.

I paged through the "3D Studio Max Exporter Notes" found on this site trying to find what I was doing wrong and cannot nail down my problem...:-(

Guest capun

What is the poly count, number of meshes and what's the vertex count of the largest mesh?

If I recall from a post at TK's site, there is a max vertex count per mesh. That is one problem that will cause 3DS Max to crash, I don't remember the maximum vertex count per mesh, I'll see if I can find that info.

If you have one big mesh, break it down and see if that solves the problem

Edit: I found it, the limit is 4000 polys for one mesh

Check here

ThirdWire's Modders Corner

I'll try that, I do have one awfully large composite shape that should probably be broken up. As of right now, the largest mesh has 9941 vertices, which is probably somewhat ridiculous. There are 4 smaller objects of 233 vertices attached to it.

Edit: Thanks again, I'll do some changes and hopefully fix it now.

Edited by USAAF2

Thanks capun,

That was exactly the problem, after splitting up the object into a few more pieces, and making sure each one was under 4,000 polys, I had no problem exporting the project. :-)