Sign in to follow this  
Brainless

Christmas presents

Yes guys it’s that time of year again...you know what I mean…get your wife/partners present right and you’ll have a great Christmas….get it wrong and your life will be made a misery for the entire holiday and into the New Year.

Now up until this year, with the benefit of many years of past experience I have easily got round this one by enquiring what exactly my super lady wife who I love dearly and is my whole reason for existing would like. I then went out and bought it and nine times out of ten all was fine but this year when I made my usual enquiries I was told….. I’d like a surprise please darling…. A surprise but I’m no good at surprises, you know this I replied…but no amount of pleading could dissuade her….a surprise was what was needed. So yes fellas I went out and bought a surprise.

Now today my dear lady said….you know that surprise you got me…well I don’t think I’ll like it…..can you change it for something else!

I have two questions here and they are definitely not Brainless. Firstly how does she know I’ve even got the present in the first place ‘cos I’ve said nothing and it’s hidden and secondly how the hell does she know she doesn’t like it if she hasn’t even seen it (which I know she hasn’t)!! 60yrs.of age, married 37yrs. and by god I love ‘em but still I just don’t understand ’em.

Yep..guys it’s going to be tough this Christmas!

ok, just a quick word, NEVER, NEVER EVER, try to figure a woman out. Secondly after that long together, she can read your mind, she doesn't need to see the surprise to know that you didn't get her what she really wants, but didn't tell you. This is a test, to see if you understand her, which is an accident waiting to happen. So just do what any man in your shoes would do, go to her and explain you're just a man and you need her help thinking, and ask her what she would really like.

ok, just a quick word, NEVER, NEVER EVER, try to figure a woman out. Secondly after that long together, she can read your mind, she doesn't need to see the surprise to know that you didn't get her what she really wants, but didn't tell you. This is a test, to see if you understand her, which is an accident waiting to happen. So just do what any man in your shoes would do, go to her and explain you're just a man and you need her help thinking, and ask her what she would really like.

You're absolutely right mate! I already knew this and have tried that tack but it's not working. No I've been tested to come up with the right thing this year. I know it'll all go pear shaped no matter what I do but I'm prepared...O.K I'm not. Know any good local hotels that aren't booked up at xmas?

LOL, I ran out of things that I thought of years ago, and we've only been together 12 years! It took less than 10 for my ideas run dry!

So yeah, I just get her what she asks for pretty much.

As for how they know, most likely you weren't careful! A receipt, an email about it, overheard talk, etc etc etc.

Yes guys it’s that time of year again...you know what I mean…get your wife/partners present right and you’ll have a great Christmas….get it wrong and your life will be made a misery for the entire holiday and into the New Year.

Now up until this year, with the benefit of many years of past experience I have easily got round this one by enquiring what exactly my super lady wife who I love dearly and is my whole reason for existing would like. I then went out and bought it and nine times out of ten all was fine but this year when I made my usual enquiries I was told….. I’d like a surprise please darling…. A surprise but I’m no good at surprises, you know this I replied…but no amount of pleading could dissuade her….a surprise was what was needed. So yes fellas I went out and bought a surprise.

Now today my dear lady said….you know that surprise you got me…well I don’t think I’ll like it…..can you change it for something else!

I have two questions here and they are definitely not Brainless. Firstly how does she know I’ve even got the present in the first place ‘cos I’ve said nothing and it’s hidden and secondly how the hell does she know she doesn’t like it if she hasn’t even seen it (which I know she hasn’t)!! 60yrs.of age, married 37yrs. and by god I love ‘em but still I just don’t understand ’em.

Yep..guys it’s going to be tough this Christmas!

60 yrs of age, married 35 years - suggest you suffer through this year (you probably will anyway) and next year there will be no surprise requests and if in the future she forgets the rollout of this year you can remind her.

:rofl:

jewelry........

:yes:

:rofl:

jewelry........

:yes:

Thanks for all the helpful advice guys......seems like I'm screwed, deadmeat and probably KIA Christmas day. I'll let you know how I get on later but if you don't hear from me it's 'cos I've gone MIA somewhere over the sea in Vietnam. :biggrin:

:rofl: jewelry........ :yes:
"Diamonds, that'll shut her up"- Ron White
Thanks for all the helpful advice guys......seems like I'm screwed, deadmeat and probably KIA Christmas day. I'll let you know how I get on later but if you don't hear from me it's 'cos I've gone MIA somewhere over the sea in Vietnam. :biggrin:
Dude put some money on a gift card to her favorite store. Works perfectly.

"Diamonds, that'll shut her up"- Ron WhiteDude put some money on a gift card to her favorite store. Works perfectly.

Already tried that one mate but she wants a PRESENT not a voucher. :biggrin:

I gave her expensive jewelry last year so I know she doesn't want the same again!

Thinking about this what about a poll after the Holidays to see just who got it right and who went to the doghouse!

I bet I'm not the only one in this situation!

Keep thinking of me guys as I go down won't you. :fie:

I gave her expensive jewelry last year so I know she doesn't want the same again!

Thinking about this what about a poll after the Holidays to see just who got it right and who went to the doghouse!

She's a nice ship Captain, I think you should go down with it..... :biggrin:

Your first mistake was assuming your smarter/craftier than your wife... Reality is we men/husbands are so predictable, she knew what you were going to buy before even thought to buy it. (I'm serious... they are omnipresent that way)

Second mistake was to assume since you bought jewelry last year, it should not be bought this year. Reality is, even when they say don't buy my jewelry... they really mean buy me jewelry.

"Diamonds, that'll shut her up"- Ron White <- No truer words have ever been spoken.

Good luck my friend and keep that gift receipt handy... chances are your going to need it.

I'm in on the post Christmas poll... I've learned my lesson already. I now just ask her point blank what she wants. While doing this, I also remind her what kind of presents she got when she made me guess... That usually puts the fear of God in her.

Edited by Zurawski

Hey Brainless, does your wife have a particular spot at the beach or in the mountains that she enjoys? If so, give her a weekend away with you there; and stay at a nice hotel, cottage, bed and breakfast, etc. Someplace with "atmosphere" and I've heard you have some places like that in England! Maybe attach the "coupon redeemable for a romantic weekend" to good bottle of champagne and a couple of dozen long stem roses for her on Christmas morning.

Another successful gift for the woman in my life is a bottle of her favorite perfume.

Best of luck!

How 'bout a romantic get-away for the weekend? My wife loves that kind of stuff. She doesn't care about jewelry...she told me she's happy with what ever I get her. She says it's the thought that counts. We've been married two and a half years!

Skelator

I think Neverenough and Skelator56 have hit it right on the head. She doesn't want a "thing" for Christmas. No matter what thing you get her, it won't be the right thing, because it isn't a thing that she wants. She wants you to use your imagination, and how well you know her, to express how much you love her. As you've said, in past years you've had it easy, she's always told you what she wants. Now, she wants it to be hard, that why your surprise was no surprise. She doesn't want this to be easy. There are words behind her words. She wants you to win her all over again. To show her that to you she's still that girl you wanted more than any other. Find that girl, and you'll find your gift. Good luck. You can do it. I have never found this to be an escape proof trap...

Heck

Edited by Heck

i have eschewed the traditional American commercial glut that some mistakenly deem a religious holiday...dont know how it became a long line at Wal-mart, but either way I feel better for one less stress...

do not trouble yourself with typing that I am a bad person for not believing in Santa Claus...I am actually very spiritual; hence, why I do not follow the American observation of the holiday

Christmas....THAT time of the year that remind's you why you meet certain relative's once a year...and when you do meet them...it remind's you exactly why you meet them only once a year....**sigh**...

Firstly how does she know I’ve even got the present in the first place ‘cos I’ve said nothing and it’s hidden and secondly how the hell does she know she doesn’t like it if she hasn’t even seen it (which I know she hasn’t)!!

That's easy if she does the bills. My wife looks over our bank account every day so she sees what I may have spent and where I spent it. No, she's not checking up on me...she's been in banking for 25 years and it's just her nature to make sure the accounts are good to go. This was especially sucky one Valentine's day. She was at work so I waited until she was close to getting off to come home to buy her flowers. Well, I bought them at 16:45 and she gets off at 17:00. She checked the danged account before she came home and wasn't surprised at all. :dntknw:

Aim for the BIG shot, Brainless, a romantic tete-a-tete trip should be a great idea...That thing of the bottle with roses and the coupon was very good, but you should add another coupon to it, sporting:

"This was presented by Brainless and the CombatAce.Com Forum! Merry Christmassssss!!!!"

Let us know 'bout the outcome, mate!

Best Luck, Goog Hunting!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Everybody!

hide86

maybe do something simple...and cheap...then if she complains that you did not spend any money on her...get out! trust me...my divorce was ugly

How did she know?

You probebly talk too much in your sleep. :biggrin:

Aim for the BIG shot, Brainless, a romantic tete-a-tete trip should be a great idea...That thing of the bottle with roses and the coupon was very good, but you should add another coupon to it, sporting:

"This was presented by Brainless and the CombatAce.Com Forum! Merry Christmassssss!!!!"

Let us know 'bout the outcome, mate!

Best Luck, Goog Hunting!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Everybody!

hide86

Well I’m still breathing after all guys with all my limbs in place and no cuts or bruises. Yep I got away with it…. :victory:

Now I’m not saying my dear lady wife was over the moon with my present but we’re still speaking, well for now anyway. I didn’t change the item I bought (a real silk dressing gown, it cost me a packet) I just persuaded her it was the present she always wanted.

Yeah..right. If you believe that you’ll believe anything! :biggrin:

If you really want to know how I got away with it, well I’ll tell you.

As some of you may have read in my earlier post ‘Back to Normal ..well almost’ my misses has been laid up with the flu for the past fortnight. Whilst she was sick, unbeknown to her, I recorded every episode of her favourite TV show, which she thought she’d missed. I kept this fact back until present opening time and told her about the recordings just as she opened her gift. She was so taken aback that I had thought to do this and so pleased she hadn’t missed the shows that the present issue fell by the wayside and there you have it.

Amazing how some little costless thing can sometimes save your arse isn’t it? :biggrin:

Did I ask her what she had really wanted or expected? Hell no and I don’t intend to either! :biggrin:

It’s not a total success ‘cos I’ve been banned from my rig for two days (to give my whole attention to the family over xmas, I think it’s called ‘quality time’, I really hate that term) but I guess that’s a small price to pay for what otherwise might have been a total disaster!

Might sneak a quick start up while she’s not looking tho’ he he.

How did you guys get on?

P.S. You didn’t think I was going in to bat without any sort of game plan did you? You did!! Hell no…. don’t you think I learn from you guys. :biggrin: