Sign in to follow this  
ndicki

Newbie needs help!

First off, hi everybody! I'm new round here, but quite well known as a skinner for CFS3 on SOH.

Anyway, I've got SFG, installed it, installed August 2007 DX, upgraded with SFG_sp051506b.exe and SFG_p083006.exe, and am getting nowhere. Either it won't find the CD and says "Can't find original CD" or some such - it is genuine, bought through Amazon UK - or it gets past the GMX logo, and then... just black nothing. Anybody know where to start troubleshooting?

P4 2.8C, 768MB Ram, 7600GS, Windows XP Home SP2. Everything else runs fine!

Cheers, Nigel

Welcome to CA :good: :good:

I don't think you need the CD in to play, perhaps try re-installing SF, if you haven't already? I'm not sure this applies to you or not, but I had to update DirectX after the patches to get it working. The DX error usually only shows when you try to start a mission, you're not even getting that far, it seems.

Edited by Platinum Rogue

Well, it's worth a try... Here's hoping!

Later:

No joy. I reinstalled completely, in the order you suggested, and all I get is the GMX Media splash screen, then nothing but black. No HD activity, and the Tesk Manager says it is not responding.

Any more ideas???

Edited by ndicki

One time, way back when, I had the same problem. I think it worked after I deleted the GMX video file from the SF folder.

One time, way back when, I had the same problem. I think it worked after I deleted the GMX video file from the SF folder.

Off to try...

No. It just goes straight to the empty black screen - not responding.

Edited by ndicki

I'm getting this exact same problem with several games (some older, some newer) now with my new system... but not with SFG so far.... I'd be interested to see what the word is...

It'll be somewhere in those .ini files, IMHO, but which one? I'm not familiar with the game enough to start tearing it apart and have any hope of success!

Got it! You're never going to believe this... It simply needed to reboot. Surprise! First time I've seen that with a game program. Anyway, it's running! :yes:

So off to the downloads section, see what else I can find... :crazy:

Got it! You're never going to believe this... It simply needed to reboot. Surprise! First time I've seen that with a game program. Anyway, it's running! :yes:

You will find treasures beyond belief. Welcome aboard!!!

You will find treasures beyond belief. Welcome aboard!!!

Cheers, mate!

I was going to suggest that, but expected you would have needed to reboot anyway, after updating DX. Glad you got it working! :good:

I hope you have a good-sized hard disk for all those downloads and parallel installs :biggrin:

I was going to suggest that, but expected you would have needed to reboot anyway, after updating DX. Glad you got it working! :good:

I hope you have a good-sized hard disk for all those downloads and parallel installs :biggrin:

You mean on top of my half-dozen installs of CFS3, each at some 5-6 GB each! But I confess to being a "developer" as well as a user...

Lots of good things to discover and fiddle with here, too!

Funny thing is, SF still goes into sulk mode now and again - rebooting gets it back to normal.

I have to chuckle though...I'm surprised on the amount of folks who don't do a simple reboot if they encounter a problem. That's usually one of the first things I do if I encounter a consistent issue.

FastCargo