I am testing my J-8I but had some problems on adding armor.

I added 4 mm(every side 4mm) of aluminum armor on each part of the plane,but when testing it I

found that aircrafts in WOE are too "soft". The aircraft was hit by one 20mm shell of M61A1 from rear,

and it exploded.

I wonder whether additional armor is a must or just optional. And does the game engine sim the structure strength of the aircrafts correctly without "extra" armor defined in the .ini?

I have read that in the aircombat in 1958,a J-5 was hit by around 100 12.7mm shells(fired by F-86s),

but still returned to base. And a F-104C was hit by many 30mm shells before it exploded.

These made me think that Jets is not easy to be shot down.But in WOE usually 1 to 2 hits can bring a plane down. And in some guncams(maybe) on youtube, MiG-21s caught fire and explode as soon as it was hit by the guns on Mirages.That really puzzles me. Is it relistic?

So can anyone tell me that how much armor should I add to a plane and how realistic the default damage model is?

By the way,I found that some planes for example F-4Gs can enter a spin ,and stalls when doing a sharp turn at low speed,but some others do not.Anyone tell me how to mod that? And is it possible to keep the shadows on ground but turn off the dynamic shadows on the plane?

Many thanks.

Edited by 101tfs

These made me think that Jets is not easy to be shot down.

I wouldn't generalize this. I would say that the amount of damage a fighter jet can withstand depends on its design and the situation and few other factors.

Just because one Mig-17 managed to withstand a hundred hits doesn't mean that every Mig-17 could take this kind of punishment and get away... :wink:

Edited by Gocad

Guest capun

Is not that simple as just adding more armour. I think this issue has been discussed before in sevearal forums, so search for it to get some details on the discussions.

There are a couple of variables that impact the damage to a plane, things like the size of the "Damage Boxes" specified by the MinMaxExtentPosition, the type of shells hitting the plane (explosive 20mm vs "hard" 12.7mm), fuel cell size, type.

Guest Saganuay82

I took the 20MM on the Thud and brought the warhead weight down to 0 from 10.1. Gets rid of the big bang of the gun. More pieces coming off with smoking planes going down.

I ran that idea through a thread and the realism issue came up. Yeah, the bullet isn't set to the way it really is but it gave me the effect I was looking for after reading some Vietnam books like Thud Ridge.

You might want to try that. Make a copy of the gun that you are using or want changes on and vary the warhead weight until you see what you want.

Weight set at 1.

firstfewhits.jpg

It also depended on how many hits at once I got on him plus where and the angle as such.

Edited by Saganuay82

I know adding the armor definately helped in the WW2 plane mod I've done (in particular the FW-190s). I noticed them taking a lot more damage, and NOT blowing up, from my Mustang's 50 cals than before.

Again, it goes back to a solid 'slug' projectile vs and exploding one (20mm cannon and above). Structrual integrity, hit boxes, etc, that are built into the model also make a difference.

We've all heard the stories from Korea, of Sabres filling MiG-15s full of holes, and the aircraft NOT going down. Obviously, some of this also goes to real-world physics -- there ain't enough air at 40,000 feet to start a fire with. Hence, the move away from machine guns to cannon. With exploding shells.

Overall, I'd say armor does make a difference. Albeit based on other factors.

Wrench

kevin stein

I am testing my J-8I but had some problems on adding armor.

I added 4 mm(every side 4mm) of aluminum armor on each part of the plane,but when testing it I

found that aircrafts in WOE are too "soft". The aircraft was hit by one 20mm shell of M61A1 from rear,

and it exploded.

I wonder whether additional armor is a must or just optional. And does the game engine sim the structure strength of the aircrafts correctly without "extra" armor defined in the .ini?

I have read that in the aircombat in 1958,a J-5 was hit by around 100 12.7mm shells(fired by F-86s),

but still returned to base. And a F-104C was hit by many 30mm shells before it exploded.

These made me think that Jets is not easy to be shot down.But in WOE usually 1 to 2 hits can bring a plane down. And in some guncams(maybe) on youtube, MiG-21s caught fire and explode as soon as it was hit by the guns on Mirages.That really puzzles me. Is it relistic?

So can anyone tell me that how much armor should I add to a plane and how realistic the default damage model is?

By the way,I found that some planes for example F-4Gs can enter a spin ,and stalls when doing a sharp turn at low speed,but some others do not.Anyone tell me how to mod that? And is it possible to keep the shadows on ground but turn off the dynamic shadows on the plane?

Many thanks.

Hey 101fts I'm really looking forward to your J-8I can't wait for it actually. Anyway regarding armour yes adding it is definately a must to ALL aircraft I use 8mm of aluminium as standard for jets. You also you can use the strucatul factor line to increase an aircrafts toughness as well.

Regarding the Migs in Korea its well known F-86s regularly expended their entire ammo load at a single Mig-15 with little or no effect (obviously not every bullet hit it!!) whereas a single hit from the 15s cannons was enough to do critical damage to a F-86. I recall reading somewhere on the net that a 15 landed suposedly landed with over 200 0.50cal holes in it during Korea. Moving on to Mig-21s being killed by Israeli mirages with a single hit there are several reason for this, firstly the Mirages where armed with 30mm cannons, the fuel tanks of the 21 are very exposed on the back and early/export models had no inert gas system so if you hit a mig pretty much anywhere on the top of the fuselarge and penetrated the fuel tanks a KABOOM would follow very quickly as the tanks would be full of air.

Edited by marlin

HasArmor=TRUE

ArmorMaterial=STEEL

Try this and set all armors to 20mm. Its not correct, but it helps.

Edited by Gepard