Sign in to follow this  
BUFF

P-3s this time ...

that is what happens after Clinton reduced the fleet so much and then Bush sends the remnants to secure the far corners of the world, without building new plans

think if Roosevelt had tried to fight the Japanese without spooling up production

I work on a P-3 mod team and they are already looking to get the repairs done. Job security... old birds with no replacement. :wink:

No no, the P-8 is coming. That will be great, really. Where's the sarcasm smiley?

the P-8 is coming.

Don't you just love commercial airliners in military service whit wing pylons :haha:

Boeing_P-8_Poseidon.jpg

Don't you just love commercial airliners in military service whit wing pylons :haha:

Well the P-3 was really based off the Electra.

Well the P-3 was really based off the Electra.

True, true, just like the RAF Nimrod is based on the ill-fated de Havilland Comet, but for me P-8 based on 737-800 doesn't look as the best aircraft to fly low and slow to search for subs (I would probably go for another turboprop). But I wont argue on that, guys in the USN probably know their yob.

Edit: Ops! I just read some more on P-8, and changed my mind. Its not a bad choice in conjunction whit maritime patrol UAV's since the P-8 is not just a ASW patrol aircraft but, a Multimission Maritime Aircraft (MMA).

Edited by Mladuna

I still can't believe it can have the endurance at low level a P-3 does.

commercial airlines have long been shoe-horned into military service...look at the 707 family and the DC-10 as well...wait, has anyone actually used a shoe-horn?

Join the club! The UK had to make do with the Shackleton for several decades (note similarity to the Lancaster bomber).

Edited by Hinchinbrooke

Anyone rule out in getting the S-3 Viking to pick up the slack?

Anyone rule out in getting the S-3 Viking to pick up the slack?

Doesn't have loiter capability or payload. And they are tired :sorry:

commercial airlines have long been shoe-horned into military service...look at the 707 family

the 707 came out of a military programme rather than the other way around :wink:

really? first I heard of that...wait...Boeing.com...history...

After the Air Force agreed to let Boeing build commercial jets based on the prototype, 367-80, already the basis for the KC-135 military tanker

- damn...I actually learned something...guess I owe you a beer

funny... Canada hasn't had any (known) problems with fatigue on our CP-140s (Canadian P-3s), but they haven't been around for as quite long as the Orions.

The basic Lockheed Electra design was always a bit of a basket-case... It's pretty much a Convair with extra engines. My Dad worked on them both, and said that even though the Electra was faster and had a good long range, it demanded a lot more maintinence.

FYI the -80 is at the Udvar-Hazy museum at Dulles outside D.C.

It's amazing how small it is!

The JStars, we bought airliners from companies and converted them over. Airliners.net has alot of pic of JStars in a before and after type pics.

I used to work for NorthGrum at the site where the JSTARS stuff was installed. They had an old E-8A outside that was being cannibalized for the E-8C they were putting together. They flew them in "green".

Well I never saw any cows. :wink: Plus, I never saw the insides, that wasn't my area.