Sign in to follow this  
feldwebel

Whats the difference between these two steerpoint navs

1st one seems to be a default steerpoint display.

Second one seems to tell me when i need to get there, im assuming thats what tos is for. And also eta is the estimated time of arrival?

What is the 1st mode used for, and what about the second?post-30369-1198471578_thumb.jpgpost-30369-1198471586_thumb.jpg

Uhh, good question. You can actually do all the navigation/timing successfully using only the cues provided in the HUD. Once you get comfortable and master the current realism settings you are in now, kick it up a notch and I'll tell you how you can navigate by looking at the HUD alone and not worry about your TOS or ETA display. But I'll answer your question fully when I get home and try it out myself.

As for your second question, you really can't re-arm in mid-air or anything once you are out of missiles. Once you're out, you're out. Returning to base and successfully landing won't reload you either. You can always select the unlimited ammo function in your settings.

As for your second question, you really can't re-arm in mid-air or anything once you are out of missiles. Once you're out, you're out. Returning to base and successfully landing won't reload you either. You can always select the unlimited ammo function in your settings.

Good suggestion however I do not intend on using an unlimited ammo option. Is the campaign still winnable? Basically I will be doing a fighter sweep and shoot all my missiles, which doesn't take long with the concentration of enemies. As such I do not believe the mission is passable because of the time alloted, which is way too long. What do I do at this point when I am out of missiles on a sweep? Am I at a misunderstanding?

Also about the tos thing... I was just wondering what they both meant and when to use them.

Why don't you try 100% realism? It may seem complicated at first but its by far more enjoyable.

As for the sweep, you must decide which targets to engage and which not to. Most likely as you said you will almost always run out of ammo, at that point as Awacs for RTB, and see what they say. They may tell you to RTB or tell you to continue on the sweep - at which point you will tell the AI to take the lead, as he will probably have some slammers left.

Try to discipline yourself not to fire at everything within the radar range, only engage targets that you deem a threat or which are flying through your space.

TOS = time on schedule - ideally you want your own ETA to match the TOS as closely as possible.

The mission is still winnable even though you might run out of missiles and guns. As preacher said, you have to discipline yourself and pick out the targets that are the biggest threat. Sometimes multiple enemy flights will appear, but AWACS does a good job of directing your flight to engage the bogies most threatning to your flight. (Just remember, you aren't the only plane out there, you have 3 others in your flight, plus countless other AI controlled flights in the area that can take care of the other bogies). Once you're winchester, ask permission to RTB (if your doing TARCAPs or HVCAPs) or simply just continue flying to your waypoints until you return home.

Ty both:D One more thing, when do I want to use those nav modes? Do I want to keep the tos one up all the time or just keep the other one up?

Also, I try to take out mig-29's first, and/or other fighter aircraft. Now that you mention it I suppose I could have my wingmen attack some of them before I even think of it, which may have seemed obvious:(

Furthermore, let's say I do run out of missiles on a sweep. Should I finish the nav points and land anyway regardless of the time and if awacs wants me to hold on because they wont relieve me? Or should I jsut kinda fly around bleeding time until the landing eta is met?

Edited by feldwebel

Well until you get the jist of navigating, you should keep the 2nd display up (the one w/ the TOS and ETA) only because it tells you the speed and altitude you should be traveling in order to be at the right place at the right time. Don't dwell too much on the display though...you need to keep ur eyes outta the cockpit and maintain a high situational awareness.

Your wingman and/or your element lead may ask permission to fire ( ie "let me out" or "request permission to engage") even before you spot the enemy on radar, so also keep that in mind when engaging.

You might have some of the sorties confused. Usually when you fly sweep, you are not tied down by the AWACS. They might direct you toward bogies, but you don't have to ask permission from AWACS before returning to base, nor do you have to loiter around a certain steerpoint. Fly towards your waypoints, engage any enemies, and continue following waypoints. The only sorties where you have to remain in the air for a certain time of period and when you have to check-in and check-out with AWACS are in DCA, BARCAP, HAVCAP missions. In those missions, you HAVE TO stay on station for the fragged time (usually 30mins, which you can always change).

Ty so much DirtyBird, you have been very helpful. On the sweep missions, when is a good time to return to base? When you and your flight are out of missiles and guns and have no way of destroying or even scaring the enemy?

Edited by feldwebel

Steerpoint times, heading, altitude and distance are all listed on the waypoints page of the knee-board. So no need to keep switching the DED mode unless you need to know how far ahead/behind schedule you are. It's always a good idea to go home if you're out of missiles, unless you can find some transport aircraft to harrass with your cannon. I usually complete the sweep waypoints, engaging anything I find, then query AWACS for the nearest threat; If there's nothing within 50 miles, I go home.

98Pt195 Rogue's technique its actually better than what I usually do :good:

But just be aware that you might do everything right and still finish the mission with a partial success rating or even a failure. I remember that once during a sweep my flight downed 9 bogies between us and when we RTB'd, mission debriefing rated our mission as poor. It was hella fun thou :biggrin: