Sign in to follow this  
grayson

new guy with real life question

Hi there,

I have recently got Falcon4AF and am having difficulty with the learning curve, however i am prepared to stick with it because i realise the huge potential of this sim. my question is, In the real world, How many hours and on what types would a student pilot have before he/she ever got near an F16 ??.

Anyone.

Hi there,

I have recently got Falcon4AF and am having difficulty with the learning curve, however i am prepared to stick with it because i realise the huge potential of this sim. my question is, In the real world, How many hours and on what types would a student pilot have before he/she ever got near an F16 ??.

Anyone.

I don't know what Real pilots have to endure, I would guess alot of time in say a F-6 and T-37 not to mention the class room.

try this Pilot training page

and one more thing, stick with it! This is a true sim, not an arcade game.The only sim that ever came close was Janes F/A-18. while you learn fly some missions in easy mode, that way you can still get a feel for it, but keep learning.You'll find it's well worth it.

Hi there,

Anyone.

Here's the breakdown:

Initial flight screening - approxiatemately 40 hours to get your private pilot license - usually flown in a Cessna type aircraft - approximately 3 months.

Joint Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training (JSUPT) - almost 200 hours total - broken down into about 90 hours in a T-6A and 110 hours in a T-38C - 1 year.

Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals (IFF) - about 30 hours in the T-38C - 3 months.

These are the preconditions needed to be qualified to start the F-16 course. Completion of said course will take an additional 6 months. At the end of that time, you will be a basic qual F-16 pilot.

Then you will report to your unit, where you will get additional training to become mission qual, usually an additional 3 months.

Total time, from start to a fully ready, deployable F-16 pilot as a wingman is 2 years, 3 months...assuming no breaks in training.

FastCargo

not to mention training never stops...you need to fly at least twice a week for the fast movers plus time in the tactics vault, exercises, and more studying

oh, and sim time

then lets talk about the damn paperwork...

oh realism...I frakkin love it when dudes whine about realism...how about you plan for literally hours, get briefed, fill out more paperwork than tax forms for like twenty years...more briefings...the frakkin weather guy did not show up again, so you have to find him...then maintenance tells you that 1607 has a leak that they cant find (how can you not find a leak...by definition it...never mind)

then you finally taxi out (keep in mind you have not even begun to fly yet) and then #2 calls in with an FCR fail and Ops says they can not turn another tail before you loose your range time and weather is moving in anyway...rules say you cant leave him but he cant shoot. so you just lost 25% of your combat power before take off...but you are an A-type (actually you do not want to have to stand in the DO's office and explain why you turned around without even launching) and go anyway with him and his broke jet...but tower cant clear you because some jackass in a Cessna has wandered near the field and is not answering his damn radio...so you wait...finally, green light and you tap the IFF squawk because when you pass 5K it will already be too late and you need to keep looking for that damn Cessna anyway...two...three...damn...four had to abort with hot brakes...how did he even use the damn brakes? oh...he didnt...it was the leak that maintenance could not find...damn...so he switches to another tail and will be 7 minutes late...wait Ops said they could not turn another tail in time...oh they found one...where was it?...damn what does Center want now? What do you mean the other Squadron canceled? damn...the DO is already pissed...I feel it in the "Force"...there goes my OPR...well, I hear Finance is hiring anyway...wait...Moseley cut them to pay for the damn F-22...bet those guys dont get hot brakes...or FCR failures

Four's off and gaining...now only four minutes late...look at that cloud...bigger than Kansas and not nearly as white...Hmmm...better tap that gauge again...nope...well...there it goes...wait...back again...two says the FCR cleared...then failed...whatever, maybe I should tell him that the other squadron CNX...naw, he will figure it out when they dont show up on radar...damn it! darkstar again...I HATE those guys...always get the guy that sounds like he is 12 and eating a sandwich...bet the Army doesnt put up with this...should be playing golf and drinking at the club like they always say we...what the hell is wrong now?

Well at least there will be plenty of paperwork to do post RTB...

oh realism...I frakkin love it when dudes whine about realism...how about you plan for literally hours, get briefed, fill out more paperwork than tax forms for like twenty years...more briefings...the frakkin weather guy did not show up again, so you have to find him...then maintenance tells you that 1607 has a leak that they cant find (how can you not find a leak...by definition it...never mind)

then you finally taxi out (keep in mind you have not even begun to fly yet) and then #2 calls in with an FCR fail and Ops says they can not turn another tail before you loose your range time and weather is moving in anyway...rules say you cant leave him but he cant shoot. so you just lost 25% of your combat power before take off...but you are an A-type (actually you do not want to have to stand in the DO's office and explain why you turned around without even launching) and go anyway with him and his broke jet...but tower cant clear you because some jackass in a Cessna has wandered near the field and is not answering his damn radio...so you wait...finally, green light and you tap the IFF squawk because when you pass 5K it will already be too late and you need to keep looking for that damn Cessna anyway...two...three...damn...four had to abort with hot brakes...how did he even use the damn brakes? oh...he didnt...it was the leak that maintenance could not find...damn...so he switches to another tail and will be 7 minutes late...wait Ops said they could not turn another tail in time...oh they found one...where was it?...damn what does Center want now? What do you mean the other Squadron canceled? damn...the DO is already pissed...I feel it in the "Force"...there goes my OPR...well, I hear Finance is hiring anyway...wait...Moseley cut them to pay for the damn F-22...bet those guys dont get hot brakes...or FCR failures

Four's off and gaining...now only four minutes late...look at that cloud...bigger than Kansas and not nearly as white...Hmmm...better tap that gauge again...nope...well...there it goes...wait...back again...two says the FCR cleared...then failed...whatever, maybe I should tell him that the other squadron CNX...naw, he will figure it out when they dont show up on radar...damn it! darkstar again...I HATE those guys...always get the guy that sounds like he is 12 and eating a sandwich...bet the Army doesnt put up with this...should be playing golf and drinking at the club like they always say we...what the hell is wrong now?

Well at least there will be plenty of paperwork to do post RTB...

That really puts problems with my joystick profile into perspective :wink:

Another thing is that there's a ton of computer based training (I assume) for the a/c that you're getting ready to fly.

Hi guys.

Hope you all had a good xmas, many thanks for the replies to my question

Dagger: I understand what your`e saying, this sim is definitely not for wusses or 5 minute hot jocks, cheers mate

Fastcargo: great detailed answer. I love the way military training is broken down into must do chunks and who knows, 27 months from now i could be signing up to a virtual squadron.

Sparkomatic: Loved the take off description and all the niggling but important bits a pilot has to think about even while he`s getting airborne:

In conclusion i think my problem is that i am trying to run before i can walk, so its back to flight school for me.

Found some nice training TE`s where you start on the ground, will try these

PS does any body know if a printed version of the PDF manual exists or is for sale?

best regards and happy new year Grayson

I'm also a newbie (as you can tell by all the recent posts I've done) and I've just been slowly going through the manual lesson by lesson, printing out the relevant pages as I've needed them. That being said, however, if there was already a printed manual out there somewhere I'd be interested in knowing as well.

You guys would learn it 20 times faster if you get a more experienced vpilot to take you up for a flight while talking you through it + it'll save you on printer ink.. the manual is abit big ^^.

Ask nicely, and you may receive.

The printed manual came with the original F4 releases, before it went to jewel case/pdf manual, and well before F4:AF's release. AF just has that booklet, which is more a quick ref guide.

If your offer is sincere that would be incredibly nice of you. I didn't know, however, that AF allows you to network to the same plane? Is that what you mean?