Sign in to follow this  
DamonSchumi

New strike fighter 2 in 2008 ?

well...to be honest I have had it with the medals issue...ESPECIALLY after you read the ads and they clearly point to medals...I mean really...and every other freakin mil-flight-sim has a working system...it really is unacceptable to me to leave something in there that is so broken...after all of these games/patches/service packs...

and save me the "TK is like a one man op, put one thing in at the expense of another"...I mean I have yet to understand why he made WOV when the mod-community had ALREADY done so much of it...and I still feel that AD's F-105 series was better than the WOV F-105...but that is just me

obviously, as a company they could not say "hey, we made WOV, but you have to go and download AD's F-105"...maybe they could have just asked him and included his...kind of like, my understanding, is they sometimes do for iL-2

obviously, as a company they could not say "hey, we made WOV, but you have to go and download AD's F-105"...maybe they could have just asked him and included his...kind of like, my understanding, is they sometimes do for iL-2

TK just doesn't do that. One of the WOE producers saw my site and contacted me about what add-ons I thought were best...he wanted to either include some with the game, or put a selection of mods up on an official WOE website. I actually had a couple of phone conversations with him about it. Obviously nothing ever came of it.

Regarding the F-105...AD's is great, no question, but if you compare it to the one in WOV you will find that they both have their own flaws. I would not put one above the other.

well...to be honest I have had it with the medals issue...ESPECIALLY after you read the ads and they clearly point to medals...I mean really...and every other freakin mil-flight-sim has a working system...it really is unacceptable to me to leave something in there that is so broken...after all of these games/patches/service packs...

and save me the "TK is like a one man op, put one thing in at the expense of another"...I mean I have yet to understand why he made WOV when the mod-community had ALREADY done so much of it...and I still feel that AD's F-105 series was better than the WOV F-105...but that is just me

Real pilots don't particularly care about chest hardware. When you retire, there is a box near the door where you can reach in a grab a handful and slap them on your chest for late night bragging rights with fellow aviators. Deep concern for medals lies in the heart of "Seagulls" perched at the end of the bar long on war stories and short on flying time. Let the other guy die for his country and smoke his home for good measure. Even in sims, its all about where your heart is. For as much enjoyment I have gotten from the TK's Third Wire series, receiving a medal or proper medal means about the same as it did in the real world. No offense meant here, I'm just stating my opinion, which with $2.50 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

Real pilots don't particularly care about chest hardware. When you retire, there is a box near the door where you can reach in a grab a handful and slap them on your chest for late night bragging rights with fellow aviators. Deep concern for medals lies in the heart of "Seagulls" perched at the end of the bar long on war stories and short on flying time. Let the other guy die for his country and smoke his home for good measure. Even in sims, its all about where your heart is. For as much enjoyment I have gotten from the TK's Third Wire series, receiving a medal or proper medal means about the same as it did in the real world.

I agree. I think that it isn't about metal discs that go on the chest, it's about serving the damn country, that's why you join the service!

...I'm just stating my opinion, which with $2.50 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

And not to make light of what you said, but you mean your opinion is worth $1.75?

Real pilots don't particularly care about chest hardware. When you retire, there is a box near the door where you can reach in a grab a handful and slap them on your chest for late night bragging rights with fellow aviators. Deep concern for medals lies in the heart of "Seagulls" perched at the end of the bar long on war stories and short on flying time. Let the other guy die for his country and smoke his home for good measure. Even in sims, its all about where your heart is. For as much enjoyment I have gotten from the TK's Third Wire series, receiving a medal or proper medal means about the same as it did in the real world. No offense meant here, I'm just stating my opinion, which with $2.50 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

Jug,

Couldn't have said it any better myself brother!

FastCargo

Hi I'm pretty new to this series, having only bought SPG a few days ago and liked the openess. I'd hate to see a DX10 only version thought because I'm still on Win2k and not looking to move up to Xp anytime soon. I haven't even noticed the medal issue, got to check it tonight and I agree its about the flying not the medals.

One weird thing though, I only flew the F-4 a few times but one mission I encountered a few enemy planes and intercepted them. Launched 4 Sparrows at 4 targets (one of which at 4.5nm) and got 4 kills while I only got 1 kill from the 3 Sidewinder E?? I launched, is this just a fluke or are Sparrows in this game amazingly good?

One weird thing though, I only flew the F-4 a few times but one mission I encountered a few enemy planes and intercepted them. Launched 4 Sparrows at 4 targets (one of which at 4.5nm) and got 4 kills while I only got 1 kill from the 3 Sidewinder E?? I launched, is this just a fluke or are Sparrows in this game amazingly good?

Nah, it's just so that the (early) Sidewinders aren't really 'One shot, one kill' weapons... :wink:

Hi I'm pretty new to this series, having only bought SPG a few days ago and liked the openess. I'd hate to see a DX10 only version thought because I'm still on Win2k and not looking to move up to Xp anytime soon. I haven't even noticed the medal issue, got to check it tonight and I agree its about the flying not the medals.

Depends on type and whether you employ the correct launch parameters (assuming you use normal to Hard settings!)

I often get 1 kill out of 4 with the early Sparrows - depends on the enemy also if they turn then there is less chance of a hit.

The sidewinders arnt really that great until the 9L by default - try to fire from behind them and hope they dont turn to much :)

It just seemed weird to me that the Sparrows would out perform Sidewinders. I forgot to mention that those 4 Sparrow E were the only ones I've used so far so 4 out of 4 was a shock to me. All the targets seemed to be flying straight.

Also the first shot I took was at a Mig-21 flying 90 degrees to my flight path, the missile flew an intercept course rather than heading straight towards the target, is this how Sparrows flies, I would've thought being SARH they'll fly a straight path for the target and gradually end up following it in an arc.

I've used Sidewinder Es in quite a few missions before I jumped into the Phantom and I rarely miss with the E, adds to my surprise.

I agree. I think that it isn't about metal discs that go on the chest, it's about serving the damn country, that's why you join the service!

And not to make light of what you said, but you mean your opinion is worth $1.75?

Longestpants,

Living and working in DC and the cost of living is high here. My opinion is worth not much more that the effort involved to spit it out.

It just seemed weird to me that the Sparrows would out perform Sidewinders. I forgot to mention that those 4 Sparrow E were the only ones I've used so far so 4 out of 4 was a shock to me. All the targets seemed to be flying straight.

Well broken down the Sparrows and early Sidewinders have the following (dis)advantages:

AIM-7s:

(+) All aspect from the very first model meaning that you can fire them at a target from any angle as long as your are within min/max range

(+) They go for an intercept course rather than a pure pursuit which means the amount of Gs needed to follow a target are minimized

(-) The C-E models are useless at short distances, later models from the E-2 onwards can also be launch successfully from relatively short ranges

(-) They all need the carrier aircraft to luminate the target aircraft from launch to impact rendering it vulnerable to counterattacks

early AIM-9s:

(+) can be fired from very close ranges

(+) they do not need the carrier aircraft to have a radar lock on the target, simply point them at the exhaust and wait for the missile tone, then shoot

(+) they can usually sustain a greater G load than the Sparrows

(-) being rear aspect only they follow their target in pure pursuit which leads to the missile to maneuver most of the time and thus bleading a lot of speed --> short range

(-) can be avoided relatively easily by just turning very sharply into one direction and thus turning the exhaust away from the seeker head

As already said the Sidewinders beginning with the Lima model are WORLDS better than their predecessors

Dudes...honestly I appreciate your patriotism and bravado...really...but maybe you miss my point...now...

if you advertise something in a product...then do not put it in said product...what do we call that?

seagulls perched at the end of a bar? no...not the word...

if every other example of a product that you sell offers something...and yours does not...what do we call that?

no, not "for serving your country"

dudes...I actually am an aviator...in the military...and I have been in combat (though during an Army co-op tour, not in the air since...lets see...oh yeah they didnt fly against us this time)

so, please save your chest thumping and patriotism...and let us discuss that the ads for the game mentioned winning medals...I have been a loyal ThirdWire supporter since like 5 years...and each game says the same thing...and does the same thing

really dudes, I expected better from you

and if we ever meet at a bar, I will buy you a beer

"I agree. I think that it isn't about metal discs that go on the chest, it's about serving the damn country, that's why you join the service!"

- actually, since I have been in the Service, I have noticed myriad reasons why people join. Maybe in the movies or bad TV dramas people all join for Mom and Apple Pie, but reality can deviate. Not that it makes it any less noble nor the sacrifices demeaned, just different.

- my family has served this country since before the civil war...it is not a job, it is duty...

- Again, the point of the post was that a company marketed an element of a product which they sold, and then did not provide as marketed...further, it is a repetitive ordeal...that is the point

Edited by sparkomatic

Perhaps, but we're just being honest that when it comes to flight sims, things like FMs, DMs, AI, graphics, editing, so on rank above medals. In fact, I think turning the engine on/off and ejecting are more important than medals too.

Not just here, ANY sim. So until you said it, I never realized there was anything wrong with the medals at all, and I've been playing this game since the official (non Wally) SFP1 release!

I'm with spark. A little spit and polish on the game would be good at this point, five years into it. I can't imagine that programming a means to keep track of and display a pilot's career would take that long.

I'm with spark. A little spit and polish on the game would be good at this point, five years into it. I can't imagine that programming a means to keep track of and display a pilot's career would take that long.

a variable for each medal type - and then having to display them on the pilots records - surely it cant be done! :biggrin:

(ps no "stop calling me shirley" comebacks btw)

(ps no "stop calling me shirley" comebacks btw)

Surely you can't be serious....

Surely you can't be serious....

As serious as a fart attack.

That's an entirely different kind of programming. Altogether!

Thanks C5,

J/M...you seriously never noticed that when the game says "cool, here is a medal", that it never shows up in your pilot record? And do not even mention ejecting in this game to me...how long did that take to implement?

What I am saying is simply every other game in this category does it...and it was mentioned more than once in the advertising...and as C5 mentions...can it really be that frakkin difficult? I am not asking for 42 new planes or the ability to cue a AIM-120 off data link, or heck, even a remotely plausible RED CROWN...but we (and you too by your own admission) are five frakkin years of time and money into this series...we stood by the patch-pains and we held the line at WhineHQ in support of this very excellent title.

At this point, I am not even saying fix it...just remove them all together. And AI? Heck, give me back the patch 2 AI rather than this pre-patch-one quality just stay on the runway stuff.

So, this is not a personal attack, J/M...just I honestly do not see your angle...hey, I support TK and always have, it is not personal...it is just take the silly things out then if they are so impossible to implement. It is not just 5 years...it is 5 titles...and they still do not work...and really, I am about ready to bet the rent money that when WOI or WOX or Whatever is released then they, given the trends, might not work then either.

And speaking of "personal attacks"...I never noticed how quickly some people are to hurl spears in this community at each other..."seagulls at the end of the bar"...dudes...really...this is not "Johny-One-Post" here asking for a "Vatour" when the damn thing was in the very thread that he asked for a "Vatour"...

Maybe we do need to step back and think about what it is we are discussing here. It is a game...a leisurely activity meant to be, you know, fun.

I really laugh at the ThirdWire forums these days..."TK we need F-22 and F-36 and the flight dynamics are all wrong"...it is sad. I still like the asking for more airplanes when people announce a new airplane released...that never tires. Do they actually even enjoy the aforementioned ride? It is like a friend of mine says, "it aint the havin', its the gettin' that's fun". Maybe that is what some people want, like MSFS where you can go and find literally thousands...and what do they do with them?

- "you do it for your damn country"...nice, very nice...

cheers

I want a lot of medals, and I want a hot 1980s Kelly McGillis to chase me down in her vintage Porsche and demand sex.

What???? She'd have to demand it???? You wouldn't just do it out of the goodness of your heart???? :wink:

Wrench

kevin stein

What???? She'd have to demand it???? You wouldn't just do it out of the goodness of your heart???? :wink:

Wrench

kevin stein

I like her when she gets riled up. :wink:

That's an entirely different kind of programming. Altogether!

That's an entirely different kind of programming.

I want a lot of medals, and I want a hot 1980s Kelly McGillis to chase me down in her vintage Porsche and demand sex.

Well you wouldn't want a post 2000 Kelly McGillis chasing you down.