Sign in to follow this  
ndicki

Adding Sidewinders to Hunter

I'd like to add (inauthentic) Sidewinder loadouts to a stand-alone Hunter I'm working on, but I can't find the trick - could somebody please help?

I realize this has probably been treated in the knowledge base, but I can't find a post which outlines the procedure in clear, Haynes Manual, newbie terms! :dntknw: Thanks!

This is for stock HUnter in WOE:

As first you need extract HunterFGA9_data.ini and HunterFGA9_loadout.ini from ObjectData.CAT file (it si placed in Objects folder)

And you need .CAT file extractor (it is in download section, I think)

Then you need make some changes in Weapon stations lines in HunterFGA9_data.ini:

// Weapon Stations ---------------------------------------------------------

[LeftWingStation2]

SystemType=WEAPON_STATION

StationID=1

StationGroupID=1

StationType=EXTERNAL

AttachmentPosition=-3.80,-1.74,-0.53

AttachmentAngles=0.0,-1.0,0.0

LoadLimit=500

AllowedWeaponClass=BOMB,RP,FT, IRM ------------ add IRM on station on which you want load Sidewinders

AttachmentType=NATO,UK

ModelNodeName=Pylon_Outer_L

PylonMass=17.01

PylonDragArea=0.05

MinExtentPosition=

MaxExtentPosition=

FuelTankName=Tank100_Hunter

Then you can edit HunterFGA9_loadout.ini:

[AirToAirLongRange]

Loadout[01].WeaponType=Tank100_Hunter ------------ add AIM-9 (version which you want)

Loadout[01].Quantity=1

Loadout[02].WeaponType=Tank100_Hunter

Loadout[02].Quantity=1

Loadout[03].WeaponType=Tank230_Hunter

Loadout[03].Quantity=1

Loadout[04].WeaponType=Tank230_Hunter

Loadout[04].Quantity=1

But you need add AIM-9s on weapon stations, which are edited.

Place this .inis into Hunter main folder.

If you do not want extract HunterFGA9_loadout.ini, you can load Sidewinders manually in loadout menu.

That is all, I think.

I haven't got time test it, but it will work, I hope :rolleyes:

Edited by kukulino

Cheers, mate! It's the F.6 I've got, not the FGA.9 (I'm on SFG - no stock Hunter), but the technique will be the same. Off to try...

Edited by ndicki

I tried F6 in WOE (with F6.ini edits) and it works right :yes:

F6.jpg

I never understood why the Hunter was a fighter,if didn´t have any AAM.

Maybe because it was built before there were air-to-air missiles???

The Swiss modified theirs, can't remember when, to carry winder and mavericks (1970s????)

Wrench

kevin stein

I'd like to add (inauthentic) Sidewinder loadouts to a stand-alone Hunter I'm working on, but I can't find the trick - could somebody please help?

I realize this has probably been treated in the knowledge base, but I can't find a post which outlines the procedure in clear, Haynes Manual, newbie terms! :dntknw: Thanks!

The Hunter is very authentic with Sidewinders. At least in Sweden, Switzerland and Singapore they were flown with AIM's

The RNlAF (KLu) flew it's MK 6's with the AIM9B from the beginning of the sixties until 1968 when the last Hunters were phased out. The RSAF even used it on MK 4's. In other words don't worry about authenticity........

I fly it standard with early Sidewinders in KLu colours.

Aju,

Derk :yes:

The Hunter never carryerd A-A missile, thats why the Indian Hunters loose the battles for the Pakistain's F-86(this one could carry AIM-9B)

Maybe because it was built before there were air-to-air missiles???

The Swiss modified theirs, can't remember when, to carry winder and mavericks (1970s????)

Wrench

kevin stein

Yup the Swiss modified theirs in the early or mid 80's to carry mavericks and maybe sidewinders. Since the Hunters carry Mavericks the cockpit was also modified.

Yes, you're all right - they were designed before the technology was on the market, and upgraded by a number of users - it was Britain's most successfully exported post-war fighter after all!

The one I really want to put together is actually a Rhodesian Air Force version; strictly speaking, this would be an FGA.9, but I don't have the model, which in any case is visually identical to the F.6. RhAF Hunters were not equipped with Sidewinders - but you've got to make the odd concession!

The Hunters were retired in 2002 after serving for some 40 years!

The Air Farce of Zimbabwe has replaced them with 17 Chinese F-7M MiG-21Fs, 2 F-7 Trainers, 3 MiG-23s delivered by Libya. Other types include BAe Hawks and K-8 trainers. The Hawks are falling into disrepair owing to minimal maintenance over the last 20 years and the inavailability of spares. Zimbabwe is now high on the "Not Nice" list owing to President Bob Mugabe's predictable anti-social behaviour, so nobody will sell him the bits. The Hawks were a sort of "Independence Present" from Britain, and were in fact practically taken out from one day to the next by the SAAF, who were unhappy to see newly-independent, hostile Zimbabwe acquiring more modern aircraft. Of course, the fact of having the aircraft didn't actually amout to much - most of the (white) ex-Rhodesian Air Force pilots and techs had taken the gap and gone to South Africa (or a variety of other places) anyway. Time has proven them right.

Edited by ndicki

YAAY! IT WORKED! THANKS ! :good:

But there was one piece of information missing - in data.ini, the pylon attachment type needed to be canged from "AttachmentType=UK" to "AttachmentType=NATO,UK"

In testing, I found myself face to face with a couple of Indian Harriers. :blink: India isn't a hostile country, quite the contrary. Need to change that...

YAAY! IT WORKED! THANKS ! :good:

But there was one piece of information missing - in data.ini, the pylon attachment type needed to be canged from "AttachmentType=UK" to "AttachmentType=NATO,UK"

You are right. I didn't write note about attachmenttype, because in my first post is Hunter FGA9 data.ini with NATO,UK.

Well, you can add more off course.

Attachmenttype we select by loadout, which we want to carry under pylons.

I never understood why the Hunter was a fighter,if didn´t have any AAM.

The RAF only used it as an interceptor from 1954 to 1957 with 30mm cannon only - it was then considered obsolete as an interceptor and relegated to the ground role.

Oman (mk9), Singapore(MK7 ,9, 10), and Switzerland(MK6, 9) had their versions fitted for use with AIM-9s for self defence (1 on each inner wing pylon only) as of 1989. All of these Hunters should have been retired in the early 1990's

The Hunter never carryerd A-A missile, thats why the Indian Hunters loose the battles for the Pakistain's F-86(this one could carry AIM-9B)

Indian Hunters carried out successful R-60 trials in the mid- 1980s.There's even a painting on a Thunderbolts Hunter carrying R-60s at BR.But this R-60/Hunter combination was never put into service, as IAF had more capable Interceptors/air defence fighters.

Indian Hunters that were lost in the air battles againt F-86s were to the F-86s guns, not the AIM-9. IF you believe in S/L Alam's fairy tales of how he shot down IAF Hunters one by one, I can't help you. There were some F-86s kills by IAF Hunters well. So not all battles were lost by IAF Hunters.

Edited by ghostrider883

Next fun problem is that the new weapons menu shows up perfectly in Create Mission mode under Loadouts, but when I load a mission I made with Le Missionneur, I don't get the loadout options - they just say "Empty". That stays the case when I switch for a stock aircraft, such as an F-4, for example. ???? What am I doing wrong? :haha:

Ghostrider, those look like they're very nice skins you've got there - if I can download them, I think I'll have to make stand-alones for the Indian versions of the MiGs and Sukhois - I don't want them coming up as Enemy unless I'm on the wrong side... :blink:

Ghostrider, those look like they're very nice skins you've got there - if I can download them, I think I'll have to make stand-alones for the Indian versions of the MiGs and Sukhois - I don't want them coming up as Enemy unless I'm on the wrong side... :blink:

The skins for MiG-21s are there in howling1's IAF MiG-21(Type 96, 96B) pack. The IAF MiG-23MF skin is there in howling1's IAF MiG-23MF "Rakshak" Mod. I never released those MiG-21PF & Su-7 skin as it was meant for a project.

The MiG-29 skin was for wpnssgt's MiG-29 and it should be in the d/l section here at CA.

The skins for MiG-21s are there in howling1's IAF MiG-21(Type 96, 96B) pack. The IAF MiG-23MF skin is there in howling1's IAF MiG-23MF "Rakshak" Mod. I never released those MiG-21PF & Su-7 skin as it was meant for a project.

The MiG-29 skin was for wpnssgt's MiG-29 and it should be in the d/l section here at CA.

Thanks, Ghostrider. Off to look...

Any advice on my other prob, of loadouts not being accessible in a "written" mission?

ndicki: you might also want to d/l the updated InAF Fishbeds that I did earlier this year...Ghost's skins should work on them (the update was created with his skins in mind)

You'll find them in the downloads section, although I don't remember if I stuck them in "Cold War Fighters" general section, or under "MiG-21s"!! :dntknw:

As to the mission thingy, I can't help (never learned how to use them), but is you'r loadout ini set for missiles in the AirtoAir loadout section??? Without them specificed in the loadout ini, they won't show automatically.

Wrench

kevin stein

Cheers, Wrench - I think I've already got them, but as I've been adding things a bit haphazardly, I'm not quite sure...

I have modded the loadout.ini, and I honestly can't see what the problem is. Having said that, other aircraft which I haven't modded, such as Marcfighters F-4E Kournas, do the same thing. Perfect loadout changeability in "Create Mission" mode, but no weapons available, and none loaded, in "Load Mission" mode. It may be something to do with the formatting of the mission file. I bet it is, in fact. I've tried comparing mine to the stock ones, and nothing springs to mind, but...!

Edit: The Hunter works perfectly in the stock missions, with fully editable loadout, etc. So it's the mission file that's to blame.

Edited by ndicki

OK, chinas, I've found it - you're going to laugh...

It's all a question of the original nationality of the player aircraft in the msn file; I'd been using "Rhodesia", predictably enough, and the sim didn't like it! (Political correctness from a flaming computer, ag!) So when I changed it to one of the stock nationalities, everything worked fine.

Knowledge!

Interestering...I didn't think Rhodesia was even in the nations.ini:

[Nation064]

Name=Rhodesia

DisplayName=Royal Rhodesian Air Force

Alignment=ENEMY

PilotNameList=NamesAfrican.lst

RankList=RanksUSAF.lst

CallsignList=CallsignsUS.lst

Formation.Fighter=SovietFighter

Formation.Attack=SovietFighter

Formation.Bomber=SovietBomber

Formation.Transport=SovietBomber

Formation.Tank=SovietTank

Formation.MobileAD=SovietAD

PilotTrainingStandard=POOR

GenderRatio=0

But, apparently it is!! And a bad guy too -- who are they enemies of, anyway? :dntknw: Poachers?? Zimbabwae?? Togo??

Which will create yet another problem, if you were to 'build' a RRAF version -- you can't load friendly weapons on an enemy aircraft

Hunter'd look awful funny with Atolls and FAB-250s on it, methinks!

Easily fixed by switching it over to "FRIENDLY", and using the RAF data for the Formation info.

The African continent is something that's not really been looked at, gamewise, excpeting for 'Red Mad' (Madagasscar). OH, and my Nigerian Air Force Tiger Moth :rofl:

Wrench

kevin stein

Rhodesia an ENEMY? Training POOR? Who put this together? And African names? Hardly!

The only time Rhodesia might have been an enemy was when Harold Wilson thought - very briefly - about invading, shortly after Smithy (RIP) declared UDI. He had the intelligence to realize it wasn't a clever idea. Start with the fact that most Brit servicemen would have refused, and those who didn't would have found themselves wishing they had!

The RhAF was in many ways SUPERIOR to the RAF; vastly better morale and motivation, and a level of training which was identical, reinforced by lots and lots of practical experience. Aircraft availability on the Hunter FGA.9 (No.1 Sqn) and Canberra B.2 (No.5 Sqn) was HIGHER than that of the RAF, despite the arms embargo and the resulting inavailability of spares and supplies. Starter cartridges for the Hunters were a major problem; they were obtainable only from Britain, and Britain wasn't selling; the RhAF developed a far cheaper, local alternative which also placed less strain on the engine during starting. The Canberra has problems with its perspex nosecode cracking; the Rhodesian "Dimple Haig" cone solved the problem and was far more effective than the original.

No.1 Sqn's favourite trophy was the "Jungle Dustbin". Try strafing a household dustbin from a Hunter, and you get the idea.

Poor training? Aikona!

Edited by ndicki

To be going on with, I'd suggest this:

[Nation064]

Name=Rhodesia

DisplayName=Rhodesian Air Force

Alignment=FRIENDLY

PilotNameList=NAMESBRITISH.LST

RankList=RanksRAF.lst

CallsignList=CallsignsUS.lst

Formation.Fighter=USFighter

Formation.Attack=USFighter

Formation.Bomber=USBomber

Formation.Transport=USBomber

Formation.Tank=USTank

Formation.MobileAD=USAD

PilotTrainingStandard=EXCELLENT

GenderRatio=0

Although I'd rather do a specific Rhodesian names list, to reflect the (South African) origins of a sizeable minority.

And that bit about "=ENEMY" explains why the loadouts weren't working. Got there in the end!

Edited by ndicki

Rhodesia an ENEMY? Training POOR? Who put this together? And African names? Hardly!

The only time Rhodesia might have been an enemy was when Harold Wilson thought - very briefly - about invading, shortly after Smithy (RIP) declared UDI. He had the intelligence to realize it wasn't a clever idea. Start with the fact that most Brit servicemen would have refused, and those who didn't would have found themselves wishing they had!

The RhAF was in many ways SUPERIOR to the RAF; vastly better morale and motivation, and a level of training which was identical, reinforced by lots and lots of practical experience. Aircraft availability on the Hunter FGA.9 (No.1 Sqn) and Canberra B.2 (No.5 Sqn) was HIGHER than that of the RAF, despite the arms embargo and the resulting inavailability of spares and supplies. Starter cartridges for the Hunters were a major problem; they were obtainable only from Britain, and Britain wasn't selling; the RhAF developed a far cheaper, local alternative which also placed less strain on the engine during starting. The Canberra has problems with its perspex nosecode cracking; the Rhodesian "Dimple Haig" cone solved the problem and was far more effective than the original.

No.1 Sqn's favourite trophy was the "Jungle Dustbin". Try strafing a household dustbin from a Hunter, and you get the idea.

Poor training? Aikona!

Ok, I give up, what does Aikona mean?

Isuthu!

Doing up the names list is easy....you just create one based on an existing, change the persenell's names and 'save as' RhodesiaNames.lst (or whatever it's called)

Hey, I'm just reporting it!!! :wink: The nations data comes right out of the Nations.ini. There's many in there classed as enemy, that I'd personaly think as friendly. I'd rather have India on my side, then Pakistan. I "think" it was done (with India/Paki in mind), simply because India uses more Russian equipment than Paki does (use of chinese birds notwithstanding).

There are a LOT of nations missing from the list, but that's an easy fix. Had to add all the WW2 belligeriants, plus Vichy at any rate.

Wrench

kevin stein