Sign in to follow this  
hgbn

I want my XP Back

I Have really considered making another partion on my HD and have XP installed again and have 2 OS on my PC. I'm going to get mad about my Vista. All my games that I really like is not fully compatible with that b**lsh*t program and no, this is not because I have an old Stoneage RIG, I got an Dual2core E6600 running 3.2 ghz on Asus P5k Mb with 2GB PC6400 800 mhz DDR2 ram and a 8600 GTS 512mb ram Graphic card. So it's not lacking in performance

But what is best??? reformat the whole machine and only have XP OS or to have them both???? I can always save my Vista to a time when it's really needed.

But what would you guys do if you were me??

I'll be dragged into Vista kicking and screaming...I have no games that need it right now. That's my preferences.

FastCargo

I cant blame you with that. I really do miss my Janes USAF I do hate my WOE not responding and CTD from time to time, even with ini's modifed

Reinstall XP and wait for some Vista service packs.

I'm it IT and my company isn't planning to even LOOK at Vista until sometime in 2008 and then it will be after testing the living crap out of it.

I do think I will do that.

And another Vista bites the dust

We're testing Vista here. What a major PITA. So many programs won't work with it...I'm referring to older programs that are still in widespread use, along with websites that were designed around the lax security in XP that Vista won't allow to work.

IMHO some things were changed in Vista just for the sake of changing them and it was unnecessary. The docs/settings folder being switched to "users" for one. It does confuse some programs.

I've already decided never to dump my XP machine, and just buy a new one when I decide to go with Vista.

I bought a new Alienware Laptop just to fly with and it came with Vista. To make the long story short, (1 week no flying), everything needs to be downloaded into the user file; it's named after the user and takes the place of my documents on XP. You'll have to extract evrything to it also, because Vista won't let winrar or winzip put anything in the program files. If you do that and the ini tweak for the shaders you'll be alright. It would of been 100.00 extra to buy my machine with XP on it. I would have spent the money if I knew I was going to have the headaches I had. Vista is new and it's "different" , but it's the future and it's not going away. They just need a descent sp to fix some of the glitches. :good:

I will not argue with the fact that we will all be going to some flavor of Vista someday, I just don't think today is the day.

I am not happy that computer sellers jumped on the Vista bandwagon quite so soon. Having XP as an option would be a good idea but I realize that costs money as well.

Side note: After working with my wife's boss' terribly infected laptop I am at the point of recommending to friends and family that if you can get away with it from an application standpoint you should buy a Mac. Someone should sue MS for producing an OS that is so open to attack. MHO.

You can have my XP when you rip it from my corpse... Vista is a perfect example of trying to do "too much with too little". The fact that MS shoved it down our throat doesn't make it any more endearing...

I've aways wondered why MS didn't go the other way and make a gaming OS? You know... remove everything that gets in the way of gaming... make the link between OS and hardware as pure and simple as possible... an absolute speed OS.

I mean looking at the amount of money a typical gamer will shell out for hardware... and the cornucopia of shareware/freeware programs promising gaming nervana... I think a dedicated gaming OS would be snatched like gold pieces!

(Sorry... didn't mean to hijack this thread)

Edited by Zurawski

Well, as I consider a new machine, I saw the space requirements for Vista... 15GB! That is TEN times the space needed for XP @ 1.5GB... What is MS doing that they need to take up another 13.5GB??? All that to have transparent menus? No thanks... I'll get Vista when TK makes SF DX10 compatible...

Well, as I consider a new machine, I saw the space requirements for Vista... 15GB! That is TEN times the space needed for XP @ 1.5GB... What is MS doing that they need to take up another 13.5GB??? All that to have transparent menus? No thanks... I'll get Vista when TK makes SF DX10 compatible...

Boy, do I feel old. I'm still pi$$ed XP needs 1.5GB :blink:

From my experience till now, I say reinstall XP and wait a for SP3 to be released officialy.

I installed the RC1 SP3 and it boosted overall performance and the system is much more stable.

For example , when i run LOFC 1.12b there are no more CDT's.

I have made my decission, when I get an day off. I will reinstall my good old XP it has followed me in a long time and I have never been disapointed with it, hell its so old it dont even have servicepack 1. (have an okay web connection so thats allright) But as said before it had never led me down. IMHO this is the BEST OS MS ever has done to date. Vista will go to the bottom of my drawer and stay there a long time. A LOOOOOOOOONNNNNGGG TIme. I should never had listen to my brother in law when I got my new Rig regarding Vista. It's the future and you cant play new games that's comming up...... Bla bla bla I have never had so much trouble since I got Vista. I gave it a shot but it failed so much... Hell even Win 95 was better... :rofl:

You can have my XP when you rip it from my corpse... Vista is a perfect example of trying to do "too much with too little". The fact that MS shoved it down our throat doesn't make it any more endearing...

I've aways wondered why MS didn't go the other way and make a gaming OS? You know... remove everything that gets in the way of gaming... make the link between OS and hardware as pure and simple as possible... an absolute speed OS.

I mean looking at the amount of money a typical gamer will shell out for hardware... and the cornucopia of shareware/freeware programs promising gaming nervana... I think a dedicated gaming OS would be snatched like gold pieces!

(Sorry... didn't mean to hijack this thread)

They did. It's called the X360's OS. :grin:

yeah, I have a laptop with Vista and still prefer to use XP...MS finally managed a very tasty OS and then Bill needed the money and launched Vista

Nice to be back in the XP buisness again :clapping: Now I can enjoy playing again.... Heard a rumor that there are comming an Dx10 for XP, if thats true my Vista will be in the dark

Speaking of XP, my current machine shipped with XP media center. is it still possible to buy xp/mc anywhere?

Speaking of XP, my current machine shipped with XP media center. is it still possible to buy xp/mc anywhere?

XP can officially be sold untill June 2008. I will discourage any havy user to use Vista because it has gigantic memory problems.

If you use more than 2GB in a user profile, or more than 4GB for all programs running, you will get a CTD at best, an OS crash the rest of the time.

Microsoft is aware of the problem but won't fix it because they think (!?) it is not a biggie. Who uses that much memory??

Well, for starters new games, like FSX with add-on planes and scenery, other new games, big sql queries on big databases....

They might fix it in Vista64..

I'll keep XP right next to my Ubuntu for gaming purposes.

really? DX10 for XP? man, have they finally admitted defeat and that Vista is like win95 all over again?

Sparkomatic>

Sorry to ruin the party, but there won't be a DX10 for XP.

And the comparison with Win95 is unfair, Win95 was usable, to find a fiasco of the amplitude of Vista, you have to look at the much more recent WinMe, the main difference is that Microsoft didn't bet the farm on WinMe and forced the hand of customers to migrate.

Jazz5150>

What's funny is that the ability to use more than 4Gb of RAM was the only selling point (all the other were cancelled during development or went FUBAR in the process) in favour of Vista for most serious users, but since that is broken and not fully fixed in SP1 (AFAIK), there is no reason not to keep using, or even switching back to, XP (better performances, better ergonomics, better security if you know to set it up, better hardware and software compatibility, lower cost, lower hardware requirement).

you know I actually had no issues with WinME...however I NEVER managed to get Win98 to work, not SE or any of the patches either...seems like I am the only one who liked WinME...well like is not really the word for it, but it followed Win98

so no '10 for XP is a way to force people to switch to Vista...because games will migrate to '10 rather than Vista...now that is just cold

Unfortunately that article from inquirer.net is at least 15 months old. Who knows what has happened in the mean time.