Sign in to follow this  
Longestpants

The Horror

Link

This is the new Speed Racer movie, scheduled for 2008. It has been in development since 1992, and I wish it was still in development hell, so that we wouldn't be polluted with its presence. Don't get me wrong, I loved the cartoon. My uncle had a few episodes on VHS (commercials intact) and he gave them to me when I was small. I used to watch them all the time, until it was too much for the magnetic tape and *snap*.

The thing that really upsets me about it? Emile Hirsch as Speed. Emile Hirsch as Speed. The man's 22 years old! If I do remember correctly (it's been nearly ten years), Speed was around 13. Even if I am wrong, which is likely, Emile Hirsch is still useless.

Maybe I'm being too hard on the movie. But after seeing the previews, I realized; no, I'm not.

By the way, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull comes out May 22nd 2008! I'm surprised someone hasn't started a topic about it!

Oh I think I can skip this one for sure. I mean the car is cool but I think that will be the only element that will be good.

since, in my opinion, they totally muffed up Spider-Man, Bat-Man, and Hulk, maybe this will go the other way and actually be decent...it really will have to struggle to be as bad as Spider-Geek 3

since, in my opinion, they totally muffed up Spider-Man, Bat-Man, and Hulk, maybe this will go the other way and actually be decent...it really will have to struggle to be as bad as Spider-Geek 3

Saw a trailor for it on a DVD ..... one word.... CHEESY!!!! I was a HUGE speed racer fan growing up... even have season 1 on dvd.

The Batman movies , eh ..... Now batman begins is a different story... that was cool! Looking forward to the next one.

you know I heard Begins was really good...as in forget the others and start over...but I did like Uma Thurman as Poison Ivy...with the sound turned off

however, being the uber-geek that I am...I was a fret about the Transformers movie...but really liked it! they went into an entirely different direction, and for me it worked...that and Megan Fox

somehow, I doubt that there's gonna be a Megan Fox or Uma Thurman in the speed racer movie... unless you count Ricci (she scares me... wasn't she on the Adams Family?).

I watched the show because it was the only kids show that had driving in it, and they took G.I Joe off the air.

Edited by Rambler 1-1

Lovely, Who's playing Trixy? Rosy Odonnel? :ph34r: CL

No, it's Rosanne!

No, it's Rosanne!

You're both wrong, it's Brittany! :blink: Does anyone remember when her filthy secret of being trailer trash was just that, a secret??

I'm with you guys, Baaaaaaa. :rolleyes:

The Mach 5 looks sweet, but I'll be my left nut that the script was written on the back of a coaster and writer up until last week thought Mach 5 was some kind of shaver. What doesn't sit well with me is the thinking that you can make a film like Speed Racer with a car designed in the 60s to look futuristic that's set in contemporary times... it's like trying to convince oneself that the Firefox is just as stealthy and advanced as the F-22, despite it's obvious age and advancements since. I reckon it's gonna die in the ass like the Thunderbirds...

Well, the T-birds was a kid's film, thru and thru. You can't really compare it.

That does it. I'll just go hide in the barracks with my laptop, 20 pack of barley pops, and the Gigantor series DVDs. :ph34r: CL

somehow, I doubt that there's gonna be a Megan Fox or Uma Thurman in the speed racer movie... unless you count Ricci (she scares me... wasn't she on the Adams Family?).

I watched the show because it was the only kids show that had driving in it, and they took G.I Joe off the air.

Christina Ricci is playing Trixie. I'll put up with everything else to see her and the Mach 5. I think the guy that voiced Speed has a part in the film too.

Christina Ricci is playing Trixie. I'll put up with everything else to see her and the Mach 5. I think the guy that voiced Speed has a part in the film too.

I will admit the Mach 5 is pretty cool. But Christina Ricci?! She has a face like a mutilated cantaloupe!

Besides, a movie based on a children's cartoon has no need for sex appeal. Couldn't they just attract audiences by remaining faithful to the original work, thus creating another paradigm for Speed Racer that still reflects the creators' wishes?

...BAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!! We all know THAT 'll never happen!

I will admit the Mach 5 is pretty cool. But Christina Ricci?! She has a face like a mutilated cantaloupe!

Well said!

I'm thinking they should have gone for a younger cast. Wasn't Speed 13 or something in the cartoon?

However, I know nothing about actors and therefore cannot think of any to play in this cinematic train-wreck of epic proportions. :no:

again, maybe it will be so bad that it will be good, like Army of Darkness

I think that's their only hope.

I think that's their only hope.

No... there is another.

And that is giving away promotional toys to win loyalty, like Hot Wheels Mach 5s or something.

Meh, if Megan Fox was in it then I may think of seeing it.

So when are they going to quit screwing around and make a live action adaptation of Starblazers?

So when are they going to quit screwing around and make a live action adaptation of Starblazers?

oh heck yeah! with Rosanne :bad: in a tight uniform as Nova. Man that show rocked, someone should include the wave motion gun in the next weapons pack!

Edited by ikon71