Sign in to follow this  
themightysrc

How to make new planes?

Hi,

I've been amazed and entertained by the aircraft produced by people from CombatACE. Bravo - I tip my hat to you all.

How, though, would someone new to the game go about producing a new aircraft for FE? What software is needed?

Just wondering.

Cheers,

Si

You can build your plane with just about any modelling programme out there, but you will need access to 3ds Max to get said model into the game (via the TW exporter).

Good luck!

Yup, all you need is 3dMax (free one month trial avaliable at their website... at least it was a while ago) and ThirdWire model exporter at can be found at TW site.

Instructions on some special modeling reqirements are listed in readme of one of exporters.

Hi,

I've been amazed and entertained by the aircraft produced by people from CombatACE. Bravo - I tip my hat to you all.

How, though, would someone new to the game go about producing a new aircraft for FE? What software is needed?

Just wondering.

Cheers,

Si

Yep once you have the 3D model done (after a bit of practise lol) you then need to get it referenced to the flight model - this is held in the .ini files in a planes directory (to give you some idea).

If its an entriely new plane you are doing then it may need a new flight model doing or one tweaking - and that really is a job for an expert (once you see all the variables involved :biggrin: )

Once thats done you need a skin for the aircraft and the decals - this is 2D work though so would be done using a program like photoshop or GIMP.

As you can see there are 3 main areas - not many people can do 2 of them though let alone all 3 :good:

Obviously you would need a lot of help if you havnt done any of this before but there are plenty of people about who would help you along.

good luck

This is huge project. I have been fortunate to work with EmlD and Peter01 on the HD-1 which will be released soon. Apart from the structure, the detail parts, cockpit instruments, layout, guns and other objects, you will need flight modeling, not to mention skins. It will take a lot of time, and if you also have to learn the software . . .

Good Luck and let us know how you are doing. There are folks willing to help.

sinbad

Thanks for the above.

The prices look a bit daunting, so I might just wait until the bank account looks healthier! Thank you for any other tips you might care to pass on.

Cheers,

Si