Sign in to follow this  
Wrench

Fun with Terrain Objects

We all know the Universe isn't perfect...things break and don't/won't/can't get fixed. With this in mind, I've always found the SF series worlds just a little 'too sterile'...thing always are there, always working, and seemingly always fixed. This was my reasoning when I released the 2 shipwrecks (cargo ship and oil tanker).

Along those same lines, and with a major conflict in mind, with a few minutes work with the extractor, a little peaking and tweeking of terrain targets and types inis, you can have something like these:

ruins-1.jpg

ruins-2.jpg

ruins-3.jpg

(this one's my personal favorite -- surrounded by burned out building, the only thing left standing is ....

the fire department!)

ruins-4.jpg

(another view of the blow shelters)

You can even create entire devestated cities....

ruins-5.jpg

And this one's just for fun. One of 3 Easter Eggs, hidden in plain sight on the map...

easter-egg-3.jpg

Because the bits are all placed in the terrain folder, listed in the targets and types inis, they're always available as permanently fixed objects. The only thing I haven't gotten to work just as yet, is the bomb crater. Wrecked vehicles are also no problem. (sorry, no screenies of them yet)

Ain't it cool??

Wrench

kevin stein

Entire destroyed cities 'eh? So say a nuke went of in a city during campaign and killed it. So then for the rest of campaign the city would be pile of rubble?

Once I nuked a factory/airfield in SFP1 in a campaign, and it stayed destroyed the rest of the campaign.

That's one of the nice things the FE expansion pack did...started 'filling out' additional ground objects at the airfields...aircraft etc. Hopefully, the next patch/WOI will have this upgrade as well.

FastCargo

We all know the Universe isn't perfect...things break and don't/won't/can't get fixed. With this in mind, I've always found the SF series worlds just a little 'too sterile'...thing always are there, always working, and seemingly always fixed. This was my reasoning when I released the 2 shipwrecks (cargo ship and oil tanker).

Along those same lines, and with a major conflict in mind, with a few minutes work with the extractor, a little peaking and tweeking of terrain targets and types inis, you can have something like these:

Because the bits are all placed in the terrain folder, listed in the targets and types inis, they're always available as permanently fixed objects. The only thing I haven't gotten to work just as yet, is the bomb crater. Wrecked vehicles are also no problem. (sorry, no screenies of them yet)

Ain't it cool??

Wrench

kevin stein

Yes I really like it. Is this availble for download or do we have to wait?

Yer...I know I'm always impatient.

Hmmm.....given you've obviously spent some time doing this rather than attempting my bombing challenge I'll let you off that. Big of me isn't it?

Great Idea & Great Work!

The Game maybe have some hole / empty aera ; But This because, it's became Nice For WE ...

Don't You think ?

vulkan

is there a way to make the Ground burned like a real nuke explosion?

Brainless: ah, yeah. thanks!! :wink:

It won't be released as a seperate pack of objects (not yet anyway - maybe later). It's part of a terrain rebuild. Right now, I"m just fine-tuning object placements, and awaiting the new HFD file for the flattened, newly added airfields and other 'generic add-on target areas'. I"ll also have to get permissions from my fellow Dev A-Team members for a few of our ships and parked planes. Also from the terrain's original builder, but I'm pretty sure he'll be cool with it.

The best part of these objects, is they're ALL stock items, already existing in ALL versions of ALL the terrain cats.

Still working on getting the bomb craters out...did you know there are 3 different sizes? Small, Medium and Large??

I did 'borrow' a few items from some other terrains, most notably the Strafe Targets from the Range as gunnery targets at the training camp (speaking of which, nobody's commented on the 'source' of the 2 signs???)

Still having a little trouble with the 'Front Line' as defined in the movements.ini, but these are small problems. It is a VERY heavily populated map (objectwise), with VERY heavily defended target areas, on both sides - especialy the Bad Guys with a lot of SAMs and AAA.

Wrench

kevin stein

Brainless: ah, yeah. thanks!! :wink:

It won't be released as a seperate pack of objects (not yet anyway - maybe later). It's part of a terrain rebuild. Right now, I"m just fine-tuning object placements, and awaiting the new HFD file for the flattened, newly added airfields and other 'generic add-on target areas'. I"ll also have to get permissions from my fellow Dev A-Team members for a few of our ships and parked planes. Also from the terrain's original builder, but I'm pretty sure he'll be cool with it.

The best part of these objects, is they're ALL stock items, already existing in ALL versions of ALL the terrain cats.

Still working on getting the bomb craters out...did you know there are 3 different sizes? Small, Medium and Large??

I did 'borrow' a few items from some other terrains, most notably the Strafe Targets from the Range as gunnery targets at the training camp (speaking of which, nobody's commented on the 'source' of the 2 signs???)

Still having a little trouble with the 'Front Line' as defined in the movements.ini, but these are small problems. It is a VERY heavily populated map (objectwise), with VERY heavily defended target areas, on both sides - especialy the Bad Guys with a lot of SAMs and AAA.

Wrench

kevin stein

Golly ,gosh..all that work..my brains red hot just reading your notes on this :biggrin:

Sorry I asked about the readiness of it all obviously with so much to do it will be a while.

Yer..I wondered about the signs. I thought you created them yourself if not where did you get them?

Great work tho' can't hardly wait to play with it. I thought you might have at least done the chickens to go with those Easter eggs though! :biggrin:

(speaking of which, nobody's commented on the 'source' of the 2 signs???)

I never saw the Eckert Brothers again. In time, this war - like every other war - ended. But I never forgot. And I come to this place often, when no one else does.

"... In the early days of World War 3, guerillas - mostly children - placed the names of their lost upon this rock. They fought here alone and gave up their lives, so that this nation should not perish from the earth."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087985/

Edited by allenjb42

the "Wrenchinator" in action ....ah yea... I've forgotten..:good:

Thank you Allen! :good:

I can't get the damn theme music out of my head -- watched the movie the other night, which gave me the idea for Camp Calumet (notice the director's name-- Toni Mason; Lea Thompson's character, and one of the 2 surviving Wolverines). Which should pretty much give everyone the premise behind the map mod - although fully usable from 1950-2020 (although you'll loose your NIKEs in the early 70s).

Yes, the signs were made by me; the psd template is now over 19 layers deep for all the different ones. KillerBee first made them, iirc, for Red Mad. I'm reusing them in desert storm, now for this one. It took me over an hour & half to find the pics for Matt & Jed -- they're right from the closing credits. Don't have a capture program, so I couldn't take them off the DVD. The signs are also used for 2 more 'Easter Eggs' ... one 'down Mexico way, the other in the Northern part of the state, east of Donner Pass. (hint: think Poul Anderson)

I think it'll be a very fun map to fly in...lots of targets for both sides, lots of mountains & canyons for terrain masking. And best of all (like a quote from the movie) I live HERE!!!.

The fun part, when writing up the readme, will be 'explaining' WW3....

"Two toughest kids on the block, I guess. Sooner or later, they're gonna fight"

Crusader: wait till you see what's left of Sacremento ... the Governator is now living in a tent!!! :rofl: And the Army confiscated his Hummers!!!

Wrench

kevin stein