Hi, I have been fiddling with Ad's g4m2 and trying to make it into a g4m3 or an antiship version. I've managed to get anti-ship as a mission role, updated or increased the armor values and changed the weapons loadout to carry more ordnance. however, I cant seem to get it to carry the type 91 torpedo. i added in data file or ini, a torpedo station and kept the bom station or default station but still no go. Any idea on getting it to appear in loadout screen?

post-2035-1199625218_thumb.jpg

Edited by dsawan

Weapons only appear in the loadout screen if they can be carried by the plane. A few things to consider:

IIRC torpedos are handled as missiles (I guess in this case it's EOGR) by WeaponsPack. Also, the Type 91 exceeds the length limit of the Bomb bay. Its length is 5.5 m, whereas the lengthlimit of the Betty's bomb bay is set at 2.2 m. Furthermore, the AttachmentType of Betty's bomb bay is WP, but that of the Type 91 is JAPAN.

Plenty of reasons why you can't load a Type 91 into the Betty's bomb bay without extensive modification of the Betty data file.

Edited by Gocad

Hi, did not know length of bombay part. is it possible to change that so the torpedo fits into the betty that we have? how would this be done/ As for attachment, I used Imperial japan as the nations ini reflects this. i ended up getting german and japanese ordnance and a few others. Saw eogr as well. i looked at the b6n1 or Jill to get an idea about the torp part.

Armor on a Betty??? You must be joking! That would destroy it's rep as the "Type 1 Cigerette Lighter"!!! :rofl:

Easist wasy to add the Type 91 would be to duplicte the bombbay station's position, lowered down ~1 meter (so the torp is outside), make it external, give it the "EOGR" type. Take a look at my what if KriegsMarine Jill...you'll see how I did it. (actually, how Charles and Capun did it)

As to the attachment, Imperial Japan uses just plain ole "Japan". There's a post in the Loadout Fixes Thread that addresses WW2 loadout types and stuff.

If you want, I can work it out over the next few hours for you; it's rather simple if you're used to that kind of fiddling. And I sure could use a break from trying to get the runway/taxi light working on Airfield 3!!!

Now...if we only had a Nell....we've already got Repulse and Prince of Wales.....

Wrench

kevin stein

Hi, Kevin. yeah, if you can work it out that would be good. So far, i have made the following changes to the ad betty in the hope of releasing an anti-ship version:

1. changed the mission type so it includes, strike, recon and antiship.

2. added the cockpit by kesselbut from the a-26 c so that the bombsight could be used. don't have a pic but if you sub in that pit, it looks ok and can use the bombsight.

3. changed the armour values by doubling it. Don't know if that is accurate but it toughens it up for the upgrade. The g4m3 had upgrades to armor.

4. Somehow we need that type 91 torpedo; i went and changed the weapon station so now it carries German weapons and a few 500 pd boms and stuff.

5. i am planning to add some new menu screens or loading ones

As for a skin, Idon't have time to do one unless you can do one or maybe i'll do a simple edit to the existing one.

As for uploading here to comabt ace, would I need permission from ad ? or someone. i plan to give credits to the original authors. I only fiddle with ini's and small parts.

Thx.

Again, the original betty by ad does not have anti-ship capability and would like to add more variants to japanese aircraft seeing we dont have too many from their side.

Thanks.

This is what your after, yes???

betty-torp.jpg

I'll probably raise it up a few MMs; when using the torp, the bombbay doors were replaced with 'shaped fit' thingys that went around the body of the weapon. Sort of sat semi-conformaly, like a Phantom's Sparrows.

The Type 91 is in the weapons pak; it's included in our (Dev A-Team) Kate and Jill. I may fiddle with a bit; want to get it more 'sea skimming'; wonder if there's a way to lower the altitude at which it 'skims'

AD's birds are some that I've been messing with on and off for the last couple of years...got updates for both Zekes, but never posted them! And never even looked at his Oscar!! -- I see what I'm going to be doing this week!

This one gonna need a little more work; I mean, I might was well dial the lights in. We're also missing the 2 waist and single nose 7.7s. The tail 20mm is facing the wrong way...might have to fiddle with firing arcs. Anybody care if the bombadier/gunner shows in the nose??

Skin wise, I say go with the Green...we just need to decal it for units. We could re-make a template, based off the original skin bmp (I've done this LOTS of times -- it's a REAL fraaking PIA!!). The one source book I have, Maru Mechanic G4M, is all in Japanese -- has a couple of nice profiles, one shows a 2-tone brown/green. Has some EXTREAMLY good drawing of all the sub-systems, including the aforementioned torp mountings. Just need to decal it for units.

Cockpit wise, I used Kesselbrut's Mossi pit...it's a little more open, albeit missing the right side controls. Maybe one of the other bomber pits could be used. I'm working of getting my 'tropedo gunsight' to work...it's in the PappaRomeo EAW sight pak that moonjumper found some time ago, and that I've been using to update the WW2 gunsights.

Interestering to note, mine's already got armor -- around the cockpt, bombay, engines...albet a max of 12mm. Mine also has the data ini set for STRIKE, ANTI_SHIP and RECON, this from the stock G4M2. I must have changed them at one point in the past.

Well, I'm off to find more profiles...and data...and books and fiddling

Wrench

kevin stein

More...

As usual, I forget that the PTO maps have a small problem ... many times my game will crash out with a "aircraftfromation.dll" fault. I think I've figured it out....

ALL the airfields used in ALL the PTO maps are 'desert_airfield3'...the small base. It dosen't have enough space for the amount of aircraft used in many of the formations as set in the ww2 formations ini (I've even had fighter formations crash out, with their odd numbers). Expecially for the larger, bomber aircraft (both Allied and Axis). So, we need to switch over several of them to, at least, 'desert_airfield1'...the 'medium runway'. Im working on creating a dirt version of that now, and will see how it works. Which means, of course, updating ALL the targets inis in ALL of the PTO terrains. I figure, on the Okinawas map, 85% of the bases on the Home Islands would be medium or large, based on pictues in several books I have (most notably, "Broken Wings of the Samauri" by Mikesh")

Clark, in the PI should be a "large base", possibly airfield 4 -- although that seems a bit too large, with it's X runways.

Back to the plane....after d/ling about 5 books on the Betty last night, it appears we have, stock, a G4M2 Type 22, as it has the mid-ships turret, as opposed to the G4M1 with the gun at the back of the cockpit greenhouse. It also appears, the Type 24 and later, including the M3s carried as surface-search radar, as evidenced by a probe-like structure sticking out of the nose glass. This is easy enough to impliment with ini edits, although we don't have a WW2 piston engined bomber cockpit with a radar display. Again, it's not that important.

What I am having real problems with, are the waist guns. I can't seem to get them work. I've got them placed, based off data from other bombers, albeit needed a little more dialing in, but haven't seem them shoot at anything...gunners are called out, guns are called out....don't know. You all think it's something I should just forget about?? Would be nice, however, to have the nose gun working....

As to the torp, its been raised up to a confromal positon, partly buried in the 'modified shaped-to-fit' bombay doors. With it's own hardpoint, you don't need to worry about the max diameter/length problems.

Lights have been dialed in to their correct positions as well.

Found some nice profiles for units, so I'll get started on the decals today. Using the same green skin (this IS a later model, so the date would need adjustng as well -- M2 in 1943, M3 in 1944, end of service date, given WW2:46 in mind, 1947.)

Comments?

Wrench

kevin stein

Well..having put the bird aside, I went to work on the airfield....

dirt-airfield1.jpg

Mind you, not all the items have been switched over to WW2 style, this was just to get an idea as to how it fits in existing airfiled areas.

Unfortunatley, for Wewak, it don't. It hangs over onthe northern side (the left in this view). But I think it really looks good in dirt!!

Still have to check other 'fits'...and then if it works, of course, ask Edwards permission for the tweek.

Wrench

kevin stein

really, nice kevin. Just have a question on the pit. Is there a way to add the bombardier to the mosquito pit you want to use insead of the a-26 c invader. Just thoguht it would be easier to switch from the pilot to bombardier view. AOther than that, this looks good. here is what wiki has on the betty and tis variants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_G4M

the g6 variant is interesting as a fighter if you look at bottom of pg.

Hmm looks like my Hellcat and I need to go hunting....

Well, charge your weapons and turn that gunsight up to full bright, pilgrim...I just posted the update for the G4M2, with 2 new skins.

We'll leave the M3 I made alone for while...want to fix the airfield issues in the PTO maps

Wrench

kevinstein

thanks!

I've switched some of the building skins to CA_Stary's WW2 green/wooden, and extracted and repainted some others.

New Gueina is nearly done; Solomons pretty much. Still have to look at Okinawa and Philipines. China/Burma I don't think I"ll mess with.

I might add a few new tagets or target areas. Parked ships, troop camps, little things. On the Home Islands, they definately need more stuff...factories, etc.

Just have to get a hold of Edward for permissions

Wrench

kevin stein

nice....

Solomons... hmmm.. perhaps you can add that "special target" which was bombed by

VF-17 using makeshift bombracks very late in their famous tour..... hehe...

would make for a special strike mission....