Sign in to follow this  
Guest Saganuay82

"not" Looking for another modeller but racers

Race game base  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Whats the best game to base it in?

• SFP1
    • WOV
    • WOE

Guest Saganuay82

This is nuts but read it and modellers, think about it. Got the idea looking at Russ's planes in the screenshot.

We all know that MP in this game is quite limited sooooooooo................why not instead of blowing stuff up, race the planes?

If we can get a modeller to make a pylon, bright orange so it can be seen, arrange them around a airfield in a terrain and use it as a race course. Make it a high pylon. When I was with virtual 531, we wanted to fly circuits and wanted to be on an airfield when we spawned in dogfight mode. We always spawned in the same place after modding the terrain ini. That way the racers can spawn in dogfight mode and fly to the field and land. then the race can be set up and then take off and run the race?

If you crash, dude to DF mode you can come right back and race again later. Have to set up some classes. Prop, class prop, early jets and so on.

Need a guy to build the pylons. Not hard at all to place them. Just have to make some rules up.

Guest Saganuay82

Well I guess this is old according to one of my sources. Oh well, house paint fumes do that to one.

Major Lee made an air-racing terrain. I've got it here, but haven't looked at it, so I don't know what's all there.

He might have lost his original stuff when he had his HD crash.

As for pylons, why not just repaint the oil rigs a bright orange??? They're tall enough

Wrench

kevin stein

Guest Saganuay82

That would work. Could get a light on them for night racing.

my first thought was that thats a stupid idea but the more I think about it the better I like it.Now all I can think of is making racing skins.I guess i can thank you guys for giving me one more aspect of SF/WOE to obsess about. ;)

Re: Pylon

All you'd need is an extended pyramid right? How tall?

Edited by Hinchinbrooke

Guest Saganuay82

Instead of Virtual SQNS, there would be virtual teams. Races are on Friday night or something. Paint em up like NASCAR.

Guest Saganuay82

I was just looking at the Reno air race page and the Red Bull. Red Bull is single aircraft and have to do certain stuff (aerobatics). Reno, in their pics looks quite low flying, the same as Formula 1 Air Racing. They say 35' for flying.

Maybe the pylons about 50-60 '? Course would be laid around the spawn airfield.

Guest Saganuay82

Looks good, high vis. Hows it look in game from a pit I wonder Hinch?

Guest Saganuay82

Send it on.

saganuay820 AT yahoo DOT ca

oh-ho! I'll have to pull out my failed expiriment for a high proformance F-8 based short range guns-only inteceptor and convert it into a racer! makes me wish i could get SF multiplayer to work...

Time to cleanup the T-6 template....

The Mustang's good enough as is....now, to find pics of "Miss Barhdal"....either the yellow or purple

Wrench

kevin stein

Guest Saganuay82

pylon2.jpg

and

pylon1.jpg

Guest Saganuay82

Run a poll for opinion

Ok, found Major Lee's terrain and installed it into my SWOTL install (WoE). It runs a little buggy, but it is a very early beta (choppy, jumpy, things like that). Has some really nice canyons and pyramid shaped mountains for figure 8 racing.

My best suggestion would be to have it like he did...just 2 tiles, and flat map. Use the basic Airfiled 1 (the single paved runway), one for each side, if needed. That way, with the cat pointer in the main ini, it would be usable in any of the 3 games. And if TK ever fixes the add-on terrain issue in FE, possibly in there.

The only thing is, it would DEFINATELY need a stand alone install, as it would be a good thing to remove all the armaments from the 'racers'.

Just like Cleveland in 1948!

Wrench

kevin stein

If you're going for any prop racing, like p10ppy, I would vote for FE, due to its modeled torque effects.

Edit: Also, to have a different coloured and shaped 'pylon' in game, you could simply repaint the obelisk in SFP1.

Edited by JimmyBib

did you try the MSFS X acceleration yet? I saw an ad promising on line racing (of course ThirdWire has been promising things in its ads for years)

Guest Saganuay82

T h i r d w i r e......................

I would worry more about actually having more people online than worrying about torque modeling effects at this point in time.

Aye

but FE + Addon is the latest iteration of the game engine (until WOI)

just saying :wink:

Guest Saganuay82

Well thats nice, its your opinion.

I personally don't fly WW1 /WW2 and don't care about torque modeling. Now if those who are actually interested in starting something up want to all band together and get the idea going and if they want to use FE, then fine.

The piston prop lurkers should hop on this and lead it up. Maybe start a thread with " First Air Racers based in First Eagles - Lets get it going" kinda thread. Then you see the terrain coming out and paint skins showing up and mods for races and stuff. A website and a addon air race forum here. Oh the possibilities.

I'm going back to my Hornet.

hold the phone...

don't all people on multiplayer have to have identical installs of the game? that would make it very cumbersome to set up a leauge.

maybe there should be a racing leauge for each game, instead of trying to choose one?