J-8 Finback

J-8 (Jian-8 Fighter aircraft 8) / F-8

The J-8 was the first PLAAF aircraft of domestic design, with design work beginning in 1964. The overall configuration is a rather straightforward enlargement of the MiG-21/J-7 layout to accomodate two engines. Although it resembled Mikoyan's experimental Ye-152A, contrary to some early reports, it was not based on that aircraft. Production began in December 1979, with about 100-150 units of the first configuration entering service. Design work on the improved J-8-2 began in 1980, with production beginning in the late 1980. As with the cancelled "Super 7" upgrade to the single-engine J-7, the J-8-2 completely reworks the front end of the aircraft, adding a much larger radar and ventral air inlets, along with various other less pronounced improvements. The best that can be said of the J-8 is that once upgraded it will be no more than an advanced obsolete aircraft, comparable in configuration and aerodynamic performance to the Su-15 FLAGON.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What a nice surpise. Where is Howling at, he would love this. Thank for this plane.

I can't find Erwin on IM,so post this new description here.

And, a new J-7E is coming soon.

J-8II and J-10 are under working also.

So,maybe some time we can have a new category of Chinese Aircraft

J-8 (Jian Ji 8) / F-8 (Fighter Type 8)

The J-8 was the first PLAAF aircraft of domestic design, with design work beginning in 1964, as a low risk backup project for the entirely new beast J-9. The overall configuration is a rather straightforward enlargement of the MiG-21/J-7 layout to accommodate two engines. Although it resembled Mikoyan's experimental Ye-152A, contrary to some early reports, it was not based on that aircraft. In fact, not like most people thought, it was designed to be an air superiority fighter instead of an interceptor. Production began in December 1979, with about 100-150 units of the first configuration entering service. Because the delay of research work, first block of J-8 have to use the old 30mm type 30-1 cannon and a radar ranger, with old Mig-21F-13 type windshield. They are called J-8(day type).Then the improved version came with 23mm type 23-2 cannon (Gsh23) and a new radar, with J-7II type new windshield. They then are called J-8I (day and night type, today the remained units are Middle Life Upgraded with name J-8E). Design work on the deeply improved J-8II began in 1980, with production beginning in the late 1980. As with the cancelled "Super 7" upgrade to the single-engine J-7, the J-8II completely reworks the front end of the aircraft, adding much larger radar and ventral air inlets, along with various other less pronounced improvements. Also, another upgrade project is known as ‘Pearl Peace’ with USA, using avionics of F-16. The best that can be said of the J-8 series is that it is the best second generation fighter of the world, but was born too late. When he is mass produced, many other second generation fighters are retired and even some third generation fighters are stopped production. But, whatever, it’s a great achievement for China.

What a nice surpise. Where is Howling at, he would love this. Thank for this plane.

Yup, a nice surprise . howling1 would have been thrilled by this bird.

Thanks a lot for the J-8.

And, a new J-7E is coming soon.

with Pakistan AF skins as well?

Edited by ghostrider883

I hope he is ok, I miss having him around.

many many thanks to everyone involved in this.I have been waiting for new chinese fighters for a long time now.

Thanks a lot for the J-8.

with Pakistan AF skins as well?

This is just a "time problem".

And, the data.ini file has some minor problem, easy to fix by yourself :smile:

Thanks for making this available for us. :ok:

I find a mistake in the J-8 Data ini.

See this:

// Weapon Stations ---------------------------------------------------------

[RightWingStation]

SystemType=WEAPON_STATION

StationID=4

StationGroupID=2

StationType=EXTERNAL

AttachmentPosition=2.680,-3.015,-0.538

AttachmentAngles=0.0,0.0,0.0

LoadLimit=500.0

LengthLimit=3.5

AllowedWeaponClassRP,IRM,ARM,SARM forgotten =

AttachmentType=China

ModelNodeName=WingPylon_R

PylonMass=60

PylonDragArea=0.02

LaunchRailNodeName=MissileRail_R

LaunchRailHeight=0.10

LaunchRailMass=25

The good is :

AllowedWeaponClass=RP,IRM,ARM,SARM

Otherhand the radar is really too bed ?

But my opinion the aircraft is really cool !

vulkan

This is just a "time problem".

Alright. Looking forward to its release :good: . I would be willing to make some PAF,SLAF & BAF skins for it once the aircraft is released .

Edited by ghostrider883

Thanks for the model, is very nice! :ok:

May i ask only one question...when im flying mach 1.3 (around 1345km/h) the tail and rudder start vibrating real hard...is this normal?

Once again thanks for very nice airplane! :yes:

May i ask only one question...when im flying mach 1.3 (around 1345km/h) the tail and rudder start vibrating real hard...is this normal?

I don't know all the fly model of J-8s,that is a old eough secret.

For some thing,such as how fast it can break in a speed, these are all gussed........

I don't know all the fly model of J-8s,that is a old eough secret.

For some thing,such as how fast it can break in a speed, these are all gussed........

they are known to break when in the vicinity of EP-3's..............

and also change "SARM" to SAHM and all is OK

" SARM " is a false entry

yes,it will vibrate. As reported to be a big problem confused Insititute 601 for years, J-8 had been dangerously vibrating in Mach 0.89 and Mach2+

Great effort taken and then solved this problem,but still vibrate a little.

Before J10(around 1400km/h), J8 is the fastest machine in low level in china.

And from some rumour, she is also the fastest one in high level, Mach 2.2+ as designed, but even achieved Mach 2.35+ in test flight, the reasons why cann't be more fast are material and fuel, it's too hot for aluminium and not enough fuel when Full AB to boost more

they are known to break when in the vicinity of EP-3's..............

The one hits EP-3 is J-8II