Sign in to follow this  
Laer

LMR and other random mission generators

I've been looking for a random mission generator, found a few, but can't get any of them to work.

LOMU, for example, seems fine while you are using the generator, but when I save out a random mission (Save Randomized), it doesn't seem to actually save a file anywhere... even though you go through a file requester and hit save! The Save Mission button works, but the Save Randomized doesn't seem to generate a file.

LMR, meanwhile, seems to work (although it's clumbsy to have to move the file over to the mission folder, rather than it saving the file there automatically). The missions generated seem pretty lame.

It's strange how there doesn't seem to be much work being done on random mission generators. I would have thought the LOMAC community would be crying out for them. I'm not even asking for a dynamic campaign... just a mod where you are given a random target (ground or air), and other enemies are randomly placed on the map as well that you may run into. So far, LOMU and LMR are all I could find, and neither of them really work for me.

Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts on this?

LMR has to have missions made for LMR. Missions are randomized either by start time or by time they are created in mission. This delineates whether they spawn in at all or what time frame they randomly spawn into the mission. Below, I've copy and pasted info from other forums that I've posted about LMR and my mission pack. I've also done AAR's (After Action Reports) in this forum of some of the missions, take a look and see what you think.

header.jpg

These missions are only for use with LMR (Lock On Mission Randomizer). Each numbered mission contains an Su25T singleplayer mission [ex.(01)POL], A10 singleplayer [ex.(01)POL(A10)] and A10 multiplayer [ex.(01)POL(A10)m/p]. They are identical to each other with the exception of the aircraft you are flying.

But this is where it ends because as you randomize the missions, they will play out differently. That pesky Mig29 that snuck thru our air defense last time may not show up next time you fly the mission. These missions were designed for replayability, and I have been playing around with LMR since it was released by TPN Shadow a year and a half ago. I hope you enjoy these missions.

I designed them like a real pilot would fly them. There are long, medium and short range SAM sites in all the missions. The short range SAMS (Igla) are by far the most dangerous as you have no launch warning when their IR missiles are fired at you. These missions can be completed if you fly smart. MANPADS (Igla) have an altitude cap, 10,000 feet and above they can't reach you. Real pilots fly above MANPADS altitude for the same reasons that I have oulined above. In our squadron the majority of the times our pilots get shot down by SAMS are when they break Angels 10 and let that Igla get a shot at them. Oftentimes I'll fly at 14,000 feet and drop before I reach 10,000 feet. Fly these missions for yourself and please offer feedback. I would like to know if you enjoy them as much as the -199-VNFS/LAW do.

Feel free to stop by our website forums and post in our Lock On section.

Last but not least, I recommend you randomize these missions from 40 to 70 minutes. I use 50-55 and have great results.

Grab the mission pack here.

Grab LMR here.

LMR has to have missions made for LMR. Missions are randomized either by start time or by time they are created in mission. This delineates whether they spawn in at all or what time frame they randomly spawn into the mission. Below, I've copy and pasted info from other forums that I've posted about LMR and my mission pack. I've also done AAR's (After Action Reports) in this forum of some of the missions, take a look and see what you think.

Damn, Ruggbutt! You are seriously 'on the ball'! Much appreciated!

I actually just found and downloaded those missions earlier today. I have to try them out still. That may address exactly what I'm looking for. I was having trouble with it before. I tried loading an existing A10 mission (default one from the LOMAC install) into LMR, and saving a randomized version... but, as I said, it didn't seem to actually create a file. I'll try these new files next.

Thanks again for all the help so far!

Cheers!

When you make an LMR mission, you have to change the file extension for the generator to recognize it. Read the instructions carefully and you'll get it figured out. ;)

When you make an LMR mission, you have to change the file extension for the generator to recognize it. Read the instructions carefully and you'll get it figured out. ;)

Ah, there's a clue! Actually, I didn't see that in the readme. I'll read it over again. I was actually hoping they would have put in a bit more of an instruction manual. The one for LOMU was kind of brutal, if memory serves... Thorough, but confusing... I'll look into it all again. First, I got to get my a10 audio back! (groan....)

Another question for you...

I'm trying to install LMR, and it's giving me that 'you must have NETFramework.... etc, etc'. I thought I installed that already, but anyway, I tried installing it again.

A bit confusing (the MS site for NETFramework). For one thing, it's not clear what to download. I'm running XP SP2, so I'm thinking the '82' one... which I believe is for non-64 bit machines.... not that I really understand that fully.

When I run that, it only gives me the option to Repair or Uninstall.... giving me the impression that I have that version already installed. However, LMR still cries out for NETFramework (....1.1 something, specifically). So, maybe LMR only looks for 1.1 (...something), as opposed to making sure it's at LEAST 1.1.

Any help you can throw my way on this?...

You should be able to get Net 1.1 Framework from the Microsoft site. That's the version you need. Net Framework is like an addon, it doesn't come with Windows.

You should be able to get Net 1.1 Framework from the Microsoft site. That's the version you need. Net Framework is like an addon, it doesn't come with Windows.

Yup, did that... but the installation program only lets me Repair or Uninstall. So it seems like I have it already (...I do think I installed it previously for LMR), but LMR doesn't seem to want to acknowledge it. Not sure what I can do now.

I appear to have the beta version of LMR, and it seems v1 exists. Can't find it in the usual download places. You know where I might find it?

Edited by Laer

I can only find the Beta version. I guess that's the only one that came out.

Can't seem to resolve the NETFramework thing... LMR doesn't seem to recognize v2... only 1.1.

Excellent! That worked. Not sure what it was that I was installing before (...first one was v2... or so it seemed), then I had another one that was 1.1, but seemed to be an update (rather than full install), so it said it couldn't update.

The link you sent me worked, and LMR installed and seems to be working. Have to test it out.

My installation of LOMAC seems to have been permanently screwed. No engine/flare noise on ANYTHING now, even with mods uninstalled. So, I'll have to do a clean install.

I'm curious... What mods are you running? Any I should avoid? Any I should definitely run? I'm using Modman 6. Which soundpack do you prefer?

Thanks so much for your help with this. Very much appreciated!

I'm curious... What mods are you running? Any I should avoid? Any I should definitely run? I'm using Modman 6. Which soundpack do you prefer?[/url]

The list is endless of what to run, what you should run, etc. The only things I would avoid are some of the older mods that make other planes flyable, that will guarantee that you will have to reinstall LOMAC. Also, be advised if you fly in Hyperlobby that some of these mods allow unrealistic payloads which are a no-no in every server I've flown on. As for soundpacks, I have one that I made for my squadron. It has some ZZZSpace sounds, Archer sounds, some other sounds and I've also put together some new stuff, it's a great pack. I just backup my original sound folder and drop it in. If you're interested in it let me know, I'll upload it for you.

I hear ya... The ones I've been interested in (and previously installed) were things like the fps helper, complete soundpacks (the new jet sounds and heavy breathing really help), landing light fix, F4 view mod (further forward to include pilot), tree shader, landscape mod (more detail on airports)... fairly basic stuff... mostly to improve fps or graphics. The only 'new plane' mod I've been interested in is the f16 one, but was always frightened away by the fact that it saves over your hotfiles. I think it was the fps mod that killed my install... parts of it were not installed (modman showed them as red), as they saved over hotfiles. I tried doing a 'file by file' install of the one graphic.ini one in that fps mod, and that seemed to screw up things (...at least, in the long run).

The f16 one DOES look nice... but I won't install it if it's risky. I've recently dusted off Falcon 4 (...I actually have the original sim), and discovered Open Falcon, so that may address my f16 need.

I'm in the process of installing LOMAC/FC right now. Just doing the FC patch now, and I'm done. Then, I'll do a complete backup of the folders/files somewhere so that I don't have to go through the full install again if one of the modman mods goes bad on me.

My fps is good, but I'm going to tinker some more to see what I can do to help it. Really, only the SU25's tv monitor kills me... everything else is just occasional stutters, etc.

Oh, regarding your soundpack... Ya, I actually saw it before, when I was downloading all the mods. I'm downloading it now again, just in case I didn't have it before. I'll try that instead. Sounds like it's a good 'best of' type thing. Thanks!