Sign in to follow this  
feldwebel

How to use the Jammer Beam?

I do know that if you press the 'J' Key you turn on your f-16's jammer. In order to confuse a missile you need to place the site launching the missile on your jammer beam.

Here's my question. Where is this beam located? And How do I know if I am placing the beam on the site launching the missile? The manual said something about the beam being on your 3 or 9 aclock position, which isn't enough description to make sense to me, can someone please explain?

Also post any tactics on how to dodge missiles, it would be greatly appreciated. :biggrin:

The Jammer only works from the front or rear aspects - so basically point your nose at the SAMs radar - which will be on your RWR receiver scope. works best with pre SA-10 SAMs - though its not foolproof - prepare to avoid the missile if need be.

If its an SA-10 lighting you up btw dont bother with the Jammer - just get out of there :no:

The beam you are thinking of is when you beam the missile by putting the incoming missile on your 3 or 9 oclock - this has nothing to do with the jammer.

As for tutorials - there is pages of the stuff at Frugals World - just do a search and be prepared to do a lot of practise - there is a lot to learn my friend if you fly with all the settings on realistic.

There are also some vids on you tube - so watch and learn - Some girl called Panther has posted some avoiding older SAMs

The Jammer only works from the front or rear aspects - so basically point your nose at the SAMs radar - which will be on your RWR receiver scope. works best with pre SA-10 SAMs - though its not foolproof - prepare to avoid the missile if need be.

If its an SA-10 lighting you up btw dont bother with the Jammer - just get out of there :no:

The beam you are thinking of is when you beam the missile by putting the incoming missile on your 3 or 9 oclock - this has nothing to do with the jammer.

As for tutorials - there is pages of the stuff at Frugals World - just do a search and be prepared to do a lot of practise - there is a lot to learn my friend if you fly with all the settings on realistic.

There are also some vids on you tube - so watch and learn - Some girl called Panther has posted some avoiding older SAMs

Like he said, the Jammer is useless against some of the sams, and I would have to say even the SA-6 can beat it, the best thing is to drop your flares and chaff, and turn and run. Better to fight another day, and when you use it be careful, i turn it off and on. I am not one to tempt fate so I always carry a HARM or 2, never can tell. also it depends on mission type, as I might fly low and fast and use a pop up attack. I don't know how real world pilots do it, but I can say I have alot of respect for them after a few missions in this sim.

So tell me this... Why not just keep the jammer on at all times? Or does it have some negative effects if you leave it on?

So tell me this... Why not just keep the jammer on at all times? Or does it have some negative effects if you leave it on?

Because you are announcing to the world that you exist.

Say you are a soldier at night, and the enemy is looking for you visually, and you are carrying a light that can blind bad guys temporarily.

The idea is to sneak up as close as possible, but only use the light to blind if you get spotted.

If you turn it on as soon as you start, you are broadcasting to the world that you exist (ruining any surprise factor) and giving out your general position.

Also, in the real world, there are missiles that specifically home in on ECM signals...a 'Home On Jam' capability.

FastCargo

Also in the real world the jammer isn't as ineffective as it is in the sim. Yes there are circumstances where they are defeated, but by and large few modern fighters have been shot down by SAMs.

Also in the real world the jammer isn't as ineffective as it is in the sim. Yes there are circumstances where they are defeated, but by and large few modern fighters have been shot down by SAMs.

The main reason the US has not lost many aircraft to SAMs in recent wars is that the US takes out the SAMs on the first day of combat :)

But even an F-117 has been lost to SAM shots... when an opportunity presents itself, an unexpected good ole IRM can be devastating.

US SAMs haven't gotten much of an opportunity against aircraft, since F-15s take out enemy fighters right after the enemy SAMs have been wiped out :)

Israelis haven't forgotten how effective SAMs can be, but haven't had to face serious numbers of them for quite some time either.

The main reason the US has not lost many aircraft to SAMs in recent wars is that the US takes out the SAMs on the first day of combat :)

But even an F-117 has been lost to SAM shots... when an opportunity presents itself, an unexpected good ole IRM can be devastating.

US SAMs haven't gotten much of an opportunity against aircraft, since F-15s take out enemy fighters right after the enemy SAMs have been wiped out :)

Israelis haven't forgotten how effective SAMs can be, but haven't had to face serious numbers of them for quite some time either.

I dont think the US or allies have come up against any particularly modern SAMs either - Certainly Iraq had modified versions of SA-2s etc, and I cant say for sure what was present over the Balkans - although towed decoys were used to good effect.

A modern S300 or S400 networked system would be tough to beat - certainly seems to have got people worried - which is why the 5th gen birds are so important.

Sure I cant believe these things written on paper before they are proved - read that one long range varient of the S400 was designed to be an AWACs killer apparently - homes in on the AWACs radar :dntknw:

Other SAMs claim to be able to shoot down HARMs also. :dntknw:

Im sure Jamming must still be viable - otherwise the EA-18G Growler is gonna be the shiniest target out there when it comes in service :dntknw:

Edited by CoolHand29

Because you are announcing to the world that you exist.

Say you are a soldier at night, and the enemy is looking for you visually, and you are carrying a light that can blind bad guys temporarily.

The idea is to sneak up as close as possible, but only use the light to blind if you get spotted.

If you turn it on as soon as you start, you are broadcasting to the world that you exist (ruining any surprise factor) and giving out your general position.

Also, in the real world, there are missiles that specifically home in on ECM signals...a 'Home On Jam' capability.

FastCargo

Great analogy there :good:

In AF HOJ is modelled also - your AMRAAMs will use it (you will se HOJ on the HUD if its going after their jammer) - and the Enemy R-77 coming back at you will also use it - so turning off your jammer should increase your chances of it not guiding to you. :ok:

Yes, great analogy indeed. Here is what I understand:

When the enemy spots you it may be a good idea to turn it on as to avoid a radar guided missile hitting you. Is it then true that when you are done fighting the enemy you should turn it back off to avoid them trailing you?

I turn it on to break a lock. When I see the lock is gone, I turn it off. I "blip" it like that until a point when an incoming missile does NOT lose lock when I turn it on due to burn-thru. That's when you start the chaff! :wink: