Sign in to follow this  
mikeed

in-flight refueling

I'm having a hell of a time getting hooked up in YAP's in-flight refueling mission.

Anyone have any pointers? They would be greatly appreciated! :blink:

I'm having a hell of a time getting hooked up in YAP's in-flight refueling mission.

Anyone have any pointers? They would be greatly appreciated! :blink:

Mikeed,

What do you mean by "hooked up"? Which mission would that be? Which AC?

Edited by eightlein

Guest zerocinco

Mike,

Usually, the fighters would join on the wings of the KC135 when given permission by the tanker. Once stabilized, the boomer would start cycling them through; 1, 2, 3, 4. Then 1 and 2 would top off and they would all go play. There was usually very little talking going on.

Since there is only one human brain in WOV and, therefore, YAP, join up on the wing of the tanker, stabilize, then through small movements...SMALL movements...of the stick and throttle, start sliding over and back and down into position...a little aft.

Then give it a little juice and move slowly into refueling positon.

Trust me, it's a lot easier in real life than in WOV but it gives you the idea and it gives you the view that every pilot saw either going to the target or coming home or both.

Since they took on about 3000 pounds a minute, see if you can hang in there that long before heading on down course in the mission.

If you need any other advice after this doesn't really work, write me at yankeeairpirate.net.

Here's me in a previous version of Yankee Air Pirate.

refooling.jpg

zerocinco

Well Zero you guys that did it and do it just amaze me. I mean it just looks tough period.

IFR is one thing I've never been comfortable with in any sim. I just carry tanks or land and refuel. :wink:

Thanks for the advice ; I'm gonna go and work on getting some "go-juice".

One more thing not mentioned here.

First time refuelees using 'flying boom' setups usually tend to focus on the tip of the boom. That's usually a way to end up doing a PIO.

Try to encompass the whole aircraft in your view when moving into contact position. You'll find it's easier to avoid getting in trouble. Zoom out your cockpit view...it will help.

Fly with your fingertips relaxing on the stick...whole hand grasps usually result in the 'death grip' during close formation.

05 is right, it's easier to do the real thing than in a sim...depth perception helps a lot.

FastCargo

Thanks Fastcargo and Zerocinco-I'm getting closer. Practice makes perfect! :ok:

Guest zerocinco

My instructor used to make us lace a pencil through our fingers so we couldn't squeeze the stick when flying close formation and it works the same on the boom. Another would have me stir out the cockpit with the stick then rapidly neutralize it to demonstrate that the airplane does not move when you move the controls...it reacts after some delay....so jerky motions do nothing. As far as throttle movements, whatever you do, undo by half.

I dont have YAP's KC-135, but I'm sure it's missing the Pilot Direction Indicator lights that I use to coach the receiver into position. The PDIs give fore and aft, up and down signals tell the receiver where they are in the refueling envelope. Prior to contact, I control them using my left hand, and the system takes over once contact is made and gives corrections based on set parameters in relation to where the boom/receiver aircraft is.

Once you get used to flying behind the tanker, you'll eventually establish a sight picture of what the contact position looks like and you'll use that to stay "hooked up".

Good luck and try not to kill the tanker ;) They cant call Breakaway.

Storm

P.S. Zerocinco, the flight lead will come straight to Pre-contact now, while the rest of the flight will move to the left wing observation position. If it's larger than a 4-ship, I spread them out on both wings and cycle them on, one at a time, left, right, left and so on.

Well, I got so frustrated once that I thought about letting off a sidewinder.............bad form? :diablo:

Guest zerocinco

I prefer the gun.

Guest zerocinco

It's got lights but, of course, there is no boomer so they are just lights for now.

I dont have YAP's KC-135, but I'm sure it's missing the Pilot Direction Indicator lights that I use to coach the receiver into position. The PDIs give fore and aft, up and down signals tell the receiver where they are in the refueling envelope. Prior to contact, I control them using my left hand, and the system takes over once contact is made and gives corrections based on set parameters in relation to where the boom/receiver aircraft is.

Once you get used to flying behind the tanker, you'll eventually establish a sight picture of what the contact position looks like and you'll use that to stay "hooked up".

Good luck and try not to kill the tanker ;) They cant call Breakaway.

Storm

P.S. Zerocinco, the flight lead will come straight to Pre-contact now, while the rest of the flight will move to the left wing observation position. If it's larger than a 4-ship, I spread them out on both wings and cycle them on, one at a time, left, right, left and so on.

Storm,

You mean something like these?

img00078.jpg

Thanks Fastcargo and Zerocinco-I'm getting closer. Practice makes perfect! :ok:

The name of the game is anticipation. Try to focus on your control inputs and the anticipated reaction you expect to see as a result of them. My refueling time was snuggling a BUFF up under a tanker. Sorta like driving two barns real close together and it is easier to do in reality than in a sim. Don't have any fighter refueling time, but it has to be easier. Typical offload for a Buff was around 100,000 lbs so a 3,000 lbs offload sounds trivial. Contact time must be measured in seconds for a successful offload. That's why fighter pilots have girl children. Not enough contact time to pass the right chromosones.

The name of the game is anticipation. Try to focus on your control inputs and the anticipated reaction you expect to see as a result of them. My refueling time was snuggling a BUFF up under a tanker. Sorta like driving two barns real close together and it is easier to do in reality than in a sim. Don't have any fighter refueling time, but it has to be easier. Typical offload for a Buff was around 100,000 lbs so a 3,000 lbs offload sounds trivial. Contact time must be measured in seconds for a successful offload. That's why fighter pilots have girl children. Not enough contact time to pass the right chromosones.

Okay, that's a bit sexist...but speaking as a former bomber guy, that's the funniest statement I've heard in a while. Can't wait to pass that on to the bros at the squadron...

FastCargo

Okay, that's a bit sexist...but speaking as a former bomber guy, that's the funniest statement I've heard in a while. Can't wait to pass that on to the bros at the squadron...

FastCargo

Big watch, small equipment, and looking for an ATM.

Storm,

You mean something like these?

img00078.jpg

Nice. I stand corrected on the lights. Thanks for posting.

Zerocinco, cool pic of you in the Phantom. Wish I would get my chance to get refuel one someday.

I hope that my comments werent taken as being snotty. Just trying to give some help from our end.

Storm

dont forget that in the "real world" the Boom Operator is there to talk you through it (yes, it is regularly done in EMCON x but that is after proficiency) its still difficult, but the monitor and the artificialities of this game make it extremely tough

Guest zerocinco

not at all